dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Unexpected to who? Obama's yes-men, who thought somehow the nation's businesses would swoop down and employ more people once they realized their health care costs were about to go up?

What economic analyst thinks we're suddenly better off, now that the stimulus funds are being spent in nonexistent districts and zip codes?

At some point, will we have economic forecasters who look at the facts and realize the stimulus didn't work, the bailout of detroit failed, healthcare reform will bankrupt the rest of us, and that the only "change" Obama's brought is the $15.97 left over from the $100 trillion dollars he's planning to spend before his ouster?

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Economy-sheds-85000-jobs-in-rb-3785494434.html?x=0&.v=2

(John McCain thinks Obama's going to bankrupt us on purpose. I tend to believe him. In my mind, Barack Obama is the greatest Manchurian Candidate of all time, much to our eventual downfall's great regret.)

Unless things turn around, and soon, Obama's got two exit strategies: Lose in 2012 and replace Carter as worst 1-term president ever, or be taken out sooner than that, and become #5 on the "presidents removed violently" list.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
McCain's got his own problems, as do all RINOs. He and Obama agree more than they disagree. I don't think the old TweedleDee -TweedleDum game's going to be as effective in 2010 as it was in 2008.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
McCain's got his own problems, as do all RINOs. He and Obama agree more than they disagree. I don't think the old TweedleDee -TweedleDum game's going to be as effective in 2010 as it was in 2008.

McCain was the worst candidate of the lot in 08, especially given his opponent. I think he could have competed against Hillary (as could have Romney), but the GOP had no candidate charismatic or impressive enough to counter Obama.

That doesn't change the fact that what he's saying is true. Obama is going to spend the US into insolvency and global dependence on international overlords.

While I'm a big proponent of a global human government, it needs to be a voluntary acceptance policy, not indentured servitude.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Great stats in that story, btw.
The unemployment rate was unchanged at 10 percent in December, but that reflected a surprisingly large number of people leaving the labor force.
What? Leaving the labor force? Did they die or something? :rolleyes: Nope, they left the labor force because they became "discouraged" and quit looking for work. 661,000 of them, just last month alone.

I seem to remember that if you want to keep a percentage constant, you have to reduce both the numerator and denominator by the same percentage. Handy how that worked out, wasn't it? Just enough people got discouraged and dropped out of the hunt to keep that magic 10% number in play. Sheer luck, I tell ya.
The broadest measure of unemployment, which includes discouraged workers and those working part-time for economic reasons, rose to 17.3 percent from 17.2 percent in the prior month.
So if people have given up looking for work, they're NOT unemployed? This is how they paint the relatively rosy image of "only" 10% unemployment.

According to ShadowStats, the rate is actually even higher, at 22%. That's because the 17.3 percent figure only includes short-term discouraged workers. Long-term discouraged workers were defined out of official existance in 1994.

So the 10% rate is simply the rate that the government wants to report, and has no relationship to the percentage of people who are actually out of work, for whatever reason. Twenty-two percent represents all the actual people who would rather be employed than sitting around on their butts.

The peak unemployment rate during the great depression was 25%.

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
Someone must not have gotten the memo on keeping the numbers fudged. ;-)

I'm kind of thinking our economy is "resetting" a little, kicking us back to where the job market largely supports 1 parent working (which IS rather unfortunate for all the divorced families.)

Of course, I don't just blame the Executor. Obama (or Bush or whomever) can't do it with the so-called "representatives." (Though I do realize that I can't win against the lobbyist =/)

Reaction score
What? Leaving the labor force? Did they die or something? :rolleyes: Nope, they left the labor force because they became "discouraged" and quit looking for work. 661,000 of them, just last month alone.

That has always amused me to no end when I would hear about this on the news...

"those numbers don't reflect the people who have STOPPED LOOKING FOR WORK."

I never understood that. What happens? They're sitting at home and just go..."Alright..that's it for me!! Just gonna be a bum."

What kind of unemployed person just stops looking for work. Or at least listen for work. You must listen and look. You can't discount looking.

Last edited:

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
The Stimulus is working perfectly. Can you imagine the catastrophic shitstorm we'd be in without the Stimulus Package?

Well, exactly. Since Obama promised to "save or create" 3.5 million jobs... we'd have double the unemployment we have now, according to him.

The GOP's site today is lambasting the democrats like Pelosi who spent most of the 2000s attacking Bush for low jobs growth. Why, they argue, are they so silent, now that we've had a year not of slow growth, but continual loss?

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
That has always amused me to no end when I would hear about this on the news...

"those numbers don't reflect the people who have STOPPED LOOKING FOR WORK."

I never understood that. What happens? They're sitting at home and just go..."Alright..that's it for me!! Just gonna be a bum."

What kind of unemployed person just stops looking for work. Or at least listen for work. You must listen and look. You can't discount looking.

I lived with a woman back in the 80s recession who did just that. She realized that with 2 children she could bring in MORE income by living on the public dole than having a job. With Food Stamps, housing assistance, LEAP (electricity/gas assistance), the hospital ER for medical care (which would write off the debt because of her indigent status,) the local charity food bank, WIC, and her local church, her "equivalent income" was over $2,000 per month, tax-free---at a time and in a location where the average income was about $1,000 take-home. :eek:

I didn't realize all this when I moved in with her and was appalled when I found out that she spent all day doing nothing but shopping (with the money I paid her for rent). How did I find out? When the housing assistance people stopped by one Saturday when she was out. It never occurred to me that I was supposed to lie to them. I was told I had to leave in order for her to keep up her assistance.

While there are many people who I'm pleased receive assistance to live, there are others who are more than happy to manipulate the system and simply give up working to have the easy life.

Status
Not open for further replies.