The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
IIRC though he couldn't even get it up? It'd be more believable if he had a raging stiffy but said 'No, sorry, my love is only for Whatsherface, I couldn't possibly' and then dunked himself in some nice cold water.
Yeah. Not being able to get it up is mighty suspect.

On the other hand, someone else mentioned recently that if his mental image is of a prepubescent or young teen girl, depending on when Sabetha took off, he might find an adult woman intimidating.

Last edited:

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
I'd more that the fact whores are there means that sex is important enough to pay for.
Lynch also goes to lengths to show how the whores are not exploited, and how they drove out the pimps and became their own criminal family. So we, as readers, shouldn't take modern puritan morality into the brothels of Camoor (not that I have any issues with it).

IIRC though he couldn't even get it up? It'd be more believable if he had a raging stiffy but said 'No, sorry, my love is only for Whatsherface, I couldn't possibly' and then dunked himself in some nice cold water.
Well, it's good that the romantic relationship doesn't sidetrack the plot - it's there as an aspect of the character, but not bolted on just for completeness sake.

But, yeah, for someone with such a penchant for crime, Locke's two lines are loyalty to his friends (Jean, the Capo), and his love for Sabetha. His faults seemingly lay only in his trade, not in his character or vices.

The heart is a powerful force, but so is a raging woody.

Ewww my mind just fell in the gutter.
From a different gutter?

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Yes, I see what you mean. I just think it'd be a more powerful indication of loyalty if he could have but chose not to, rather than the choice being out of his hands. *resists double entendre* Or there's the squicky thought that SP just mentioned, which means Locke is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay more screwed in the head than I previously supposed

From a different gutter?

'Ere, I resemble that remark!

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
I've never so deeply considered a character's sexuality since literature courses. Didn't like it then, but that was the point of the novels, mostly.

LoLL isn't really about his sexual proclivities, so I hate you guys for making me go down that road again.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
LoLL isn't really about his sexual proclivities, so I hate you guys for making me go down that road again.

No, it was just, um it stood out, oh oops double entendre city....the whorehouse scene jarred me out of the story as being very strange and that if it was loyalty that author wanted to show...of course if he just wanted to show Locke is F*d up in the head, he did a fine, fine job.

Anyway, you know you love it.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
Don't lie. It's more fun when it's about a book that wasn't pure hell to read.
Ain't that the truth.

I could (can and do) become quite the philosopher about books I enjoy and have read multiple times.

Don't think there's anyone (sane) who could do that with Ethan Frome.

rosehips

Mr. Boo is watching you.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.upwork.com
May I recommend Scott Lynch's Gentlemen Bastards novels...?

Well, I guess I just did. :) The first is titled The Lies of Locke Lamora, and the second is Red Seas Under Red Skies. They are fantasy, set in a very intriguing world, with some steampunk flavor. There are some very violent scenes, be advised. But the characters (the mcs are thieves) are multidimensional and likeable, and the first book is especially good.

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, they're great, except I'm starting to think the 3rd book will NEVER come out. Seriously, it should never take a professional this long to write a book.

*goes off grumbling about how I would never make my fans wait this long, if only I had fans . . .*

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, they're great, except I'm starting to think the 3rd book will NEVER come out. Seriously, it should never take a professional this long to write a book.

*goes off grumbling about how I would never make my fans wait this long, if only I had fans . . .*

I'm not sure that's entirely fair. The author has mental health issues that he's talked about repeatedly. It's no different than if he had a crippling physical illness that made him unable to pick up a pen.