AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wendy Weil Agency

practical experience, FTW

Wendy Weil Agency

I can't find anything on the Wendy Weil agency. In particular, I'm looking for info on Emily Forland. They don't appear to be listed anywhere. I looked in the Jeff Herman guide and the Writer's Market guides. On the web same story. Can you guys help? Thanks.

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    Wendy Weil has been an agent for many years, and has sold a lot of books; she has some very successful clients. Emily Forland started as her assistant, and became an agent in 2003.

- Victoria

Thank you Victoria. Do you know which writers does Emily represent? I Yahooed and Googled her and only came up with one (Jennifer Traig). What other options do I have to research this? Thank you.

Absolutely Fazed
    Anyone know the submission requirements and genres this agency represents?

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Hereís her contact info; I suggest dropping her a line for submission guidelines.

http://wendyweil.com/

Judging by her clients, Iíd say she represents womenís/literary fiction.

http://www.unm.edu/~taosconf/Confere...orlandWeil.htm
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    I believe she also represents Melinda Haynes (Mother of Pearl).

Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean

Absolutely Fazed
    Thanks! I suspect she doesn't represent my genre, but I went ahead and asked for specifications anyway. I'll post them here if she responds, so that anyone else who's looking will know.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Website now provides genre and submission info.
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

figuring it all out AustinCBrown's Avatar

Question about Wendy Weil Agency

Greetings,

Around mid November of 2007, Emily Forland of the Wendy Weil Agency requested to see my full manuscript. Naturally, I sent it out right away, and now, some four months later, I still haven't heard anything (Well almost nothing). About seven weeks ago, I called the office and got a hold of Emily. She said that she had my manuscript. I was like, "Oh, ok," and I politely and quickly ended the conversation. I tried emailing her more recently, but she didn't respond. Nothing at all.

Should I just assume that it's a no go and move on?

What do you think?

Thanks,
    Austin

Who's going for a beer? waylander's Avatar
    Check back with her by e-mail monthly and in the meantime keep sending out the queries.
    If it is good enough for one agent to request the full then someone else will too

What? I have a title? Julie Worth's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinCBrown View Post
    Greetings,

Around mid November of 2007, Emily Forland of the Wendy Weil Agency requested to see my full manuscript. Naturally, I sent it out right away, and now, some four months later, I still haven't heard anything (Well almost nothing). About seven weeks ago, I called the office and got a hold of Emily. She said that she had my manuscript. I was like, "Oh, ok," and I politely and quickly ended the conversation. I tried emailing her more recently, but she didn't respond. Nothing at all.

Should I just assume that it's a no go and move on?

What do you think?

Thanks,
    Austin
    Don't assume either way. They might take six months. But don't stop sending out queries, and don't give anyone an exclusive if you can help it.

BTW, don't call agents about your submission. Most of them hate that.

figuring it all out AustinCBrown's Avatar

Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions. And ya, I can understand why agents hate phone calls, but since she didn't return my email, I was afraid something was going wonkers.

Well, time to send out some more queries. Uhg. Everyone has said that it takes patience, patience and more patience, but alas, even Job himself grew weary and grumbled... and got rebuked.

Austin

What? I have a title? Julie Worth's Avatar
    From what I've seen on this board, from agent statistics, and from my own experience, it takes an average of ten fulls to bag an agent. So don't count on any one submission.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Boomergirl's Avatar
    Anyone else deal with this agency? I sent out a query on a Saturday night and by Monday afternoon got a request for a full manuscript (woohoo!). She's already stated that she'll be out of town for 3 weeks, so I'm prepared to wait a bit to hear from her, but has anyone got any experience with response time and/or performance as a signed agent?

Emma Patterson, the newest agent at Wendy Weil has sent me an e-mail offering to represent me!

WOOOT!!!

Sorry, just had to let out that little catharsis.

Now I'm scared my mother will actually read this novel

So, anyway, I was pretty impressed with their turnaround time. I queried them on a Saturday, got a request for a full on a Monday, mailed out full on Tuesday, heard back with "I liked it but would like to discuss with boss" in 2 weeks and got the offer today (approx 1 month from time query was sent out).

Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
    Boomergirl--a big congrats!!!

Just a guy with a pen & a delusion Mr. Anonymous's Avatar
    Way to go boomergirl!

How exciting! CONGRATS!!!
    "Without the bitter, baby, the sweet just ain't as sweet."

Current WIP: 2k / 80k written
    Short Stories Out: 2

Youtube - Twitter - Blog -
    Facebook

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Blueridge's Avatar
    Fantastic! Congratulations! Have your feet touched the ground yet?

Thank you, stormie, Mr. Anonymous, JenWriter and Blueridge.

I'm quite excited, although I don't think my feet will leave the ground unless a publisher gives an offer. Still, I'm very, very, very happy and relieved.

Congratulations! Did you email query specifically to Emma Patterson or send it to the agency?

Congratulations Boomergirl! Fantastic news.

Has anyone queried them recently? I saw they represent commercial fiction and mentioned mysteries/thrillers, which I usually think of as more genre...and am currently unsure if I should query on my urban fantasy. Anyone with info would be appreciated. Thanks!

practical experience, FTW Rebecca_Rogers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JJPie View Post
    Has anyone queried them recently? I saw they represent commercial fiction and mentioned mysteries/thrillers, which I usually think of as more genre...and am currently unsure if I should query on my urban fantasy. Anyone with info would be appreciated. Thanks!

I have an urban fantasy I'd like to query Emma with, but I'm unsure if that's what she's looking for.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast