• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Carolyn Jenks Agency

carefulwithwords

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, what a quick response time. Congratulations carefulwithwords!!! That's such amazing news!

I just sent a query out to her. Wish me luck :)

Thanks and good luck to you!

Looking up a little farther in this thread it looks like this agency tends to read requested material pretty quickly. It's definitely a nice change of pace compared to the stuff I've had out for almost three months still waiting for a reply.

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
Thanks and good luck to you!

Looking up a little farther in this thread it looks like this agency tends to read requested material pretty quickly. It's definitely a nice change of pace compared to the stuff I've had out for almost three months still waiting for a reply.

Not always. It took them just over 3 months to read my full last summer/fall. That's not bad, though, and at least they respond. I had fulls out where the agents never responded.

Congrats on your request!

carefulwithwords

Registered
Reaction score
Not always. It took them just over 3 months to read my full last summer/fall. That's not bad, though, and at least they respond. I had fulls out where the agents never responded.

Congrats on your request!

Erin thanks for that update. That is reassuring. Maybe I don't need to fear my inbox just yet.

I try only to query agents who have a track record of responding to requested material. And any agent that I see has a few complaints of being non-responders on fulls I add to my own personal blacklist. I really need the closure of the R...and the idea of something being left open ended seems too frustrating. I think the AAR should have a criteria that member agents have to respond to requested material.

LaneHeymont

Not so secret agent
Registered
Reaction score
Any new word? Just got a 50 page request from Marisa Finkelstein.

ACROALL

Querying Will be THE DEATH OF ME!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amycroall.com
Queried the agency yesterday (4/16/12) and got a request for the first 50 pages from Jane Domino that night. Just sent them this morning.

This is my very first request; I'm not expecting much, but it's nice to know someone liked the query enough to want to read it!

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
Pretty much everyone listed under "our team" is a student at Emerson College...what's up with that?

LaneHeymont

Not so secret agent
Registered
Reaction score
I noticed that too. The head Acquisitions person is a senior there...the other two out-of-college aged members seem to be completely absent from the internet.

I've seen Rebecca Kanner has had a good deal with Simon & Schuster (I believe) and some other sales.

However, the Coal Elf by Maria Devivo was sold to Twilight Times...a royalty-paying (only) epub, which doesn't require an agent. They've also just added two clients...without any book listings.

Very weird indeed.

ACROALL

Querying Will be THE DEATH OF ME!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amycroall.com
They requested a partial (first 50 pages) from me last week. Seeing their track record for requesting fulls the next or two days after, I guess they're passing on mine :-(

Mustafa

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, why are they all students? I don't want to be represented by someone who might not be able to negotiate a deal because they have finals to study for. Don't most lit agents intern for quite a while before they start taking clients? How long does it take to make the connections you need to sell books?

LaneHeymont

Not so secret agent
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, why are they all students? I don't want to be represented by someone who might not be able to negotiate a deal because they have finals to study for. Don't most lit agents intern for quite a while before they start taking clients? How long does it take to make the connections you need to sell books?

Very weird. Half the people (including the students) are invisible on the net and Ms. Jenks' sales listed on PM seem to not be listed on Amazon or Barnes and Noble. :Wha:

MorganS

Am I there yet?
Registered
Reaction score
I had a partial upgraded to a full with them last year. Took 7 1/2 months from Q to R. Haven't queried them with my latest project, but they were very kind and seem very respectable :)

MorganS

Am I there yet?
Registered
Reaction score
Sent out a query on 5/14

Partial requested 5/17 :D

I do like this agency. Hoping this new project is something they'll like to see more of. :)

Mustafa

Registered
Reaction score
Sent out a query on 5/14

Partial requested 5/17 :D

I do like this agency. Hoping this new project is something they'll like to see more of. :)

I still don't understand how all the "agents" are students. What is it about this agency that you like? I'm genuinely curious. I didn't have any luck searching for deals using the agents names. Did you?

Mustafa

Registered
Reaction score
Hi MorganS and other curious query-ers:

I am represented by the Jenks Agency. I know how harrowing the agent search-and-selection process can be, so I'd be happy to answer any questions you have. Feel free to send me a private message.

Thanks!

EK

Could you share your experience? Who is your agent? Any success placing your manuscript? Anything would be great, because there isn't a lot online, at least, not a lot I can find.

Mustafa

Registered
Reaction score
I am also represented by the agency. A wonderful group with a spate of successes in the past few months, which should quiet much of the talk about "students."

With all due respect, the term "students" is what they use on their agent bios. If you want to quiet the healthy tone of caution that is on this thread, do so by telling us about the sales.

I see that they recently added "assistant" to several of the titles that used to be just "agent."

Mustafa

Registered
Reaction score
Erin, that's terrific. Congratulations. Before the term "assistant" was added to several of the titles I found it concerning because it seemed unlikely that they could have formed meaningful contacts in the industry. If it's only Carolyn who who is the agent, and everyone else is just assistants, then it's a very different scenario than I thought.

MorganS

Am I there yet?
Registered
Reaction score
Just catching up! I too like this agency because of its close-knit feel. I want to be with a boutique agency rather than one of the larger ones... I could go off on reasoning, but I won't, LOL. I had a pleasant experience with them with my last novel & hope this time around they'll connect with this current story. Here's to hoping! :D

Mustafa

Registered
Reaction score
I see they've added some sales that are quite respectable indeed. I'd be curious if any of the assistants are named in the sales. I don't see them on publishers marketplace, but lots of deals aren't listed there. Anyway, good for them, and good for the authors!

Laure de Sade

Registered
Reaction score
Website
lauraelizabethwoollett.com
Update: I've had a very perplexing experience with this agency. The acquisitions intern, Biz, asked me for my partial and full back in May. By late August, I still hadn't had a response and, having done some major revisions, asked whether they would be interested in seeing the updated manuscript. I was told by Biz that my manuscript was going through a second round of readers, but to send through the new version anyway. About a month later, I got another email requesting a headshot and info on my platform as an author. After sending those through, I was informed that two other "agency fellows" had enjoyed my manuscript, but thought that it could benefit from some editing. Biz said she would be happy to help me with these edits herself, and I agreed to this. A few days later, Biz told me she was meeting with Carolyn Jenks to discuss the manuscript's potential. This morning, I received a rejection saying that Carolyn didn't think my story was "right for the agency".

I found this whole process pretty confusing, and was disappointed by the form rejection, after going through so many stages (including the preliminary offer of editing help). I couldn't help getting my hopes up a bit, since no other agency has put me through such a process. I was also left wondering about who the other agency fellows were and how much Carolyn knew about my manuscript, before they brought it to her, after all this time.

I would not not recommend this agency, but I would advise people not to get their hopes up, as I did. Their selection process seemed a bit unorthodox, and perhaps not as efficient as it could have been.

MaraudingDon

Searching for Arthur
Registered
Reaction score
Website
musingsofapennilesswriter.blogspot.com.au
Update: I've had a very perplexing experience with this agency. The acquisitions intern, Biz, asked me for my partial and full back in May. By late August, I still hadn't had a response and, having done some major revisions, asked whether they would be interested in seeing the updated manuscript. I was told by Biz that my manuscript was going through a second round of readers, but to send through the new version anyway. About a month later, I got another email requesting a headshot and info on my platform as an author. After sending those through, I was informed that two other "agency fellows" had enjoyed my manuscript, but thought that it could benefit from some editing. Biz said she would be happy to help me with these edits herself, and I agreed to this. A few days later, Biz told me she was meeting with Carolyn Jenks to discuss the manuscript's potential. This morning, I received a rejection saying that Carolyn didn't think my story was "right for the agency".

I found this whole process pretty confusing, and was disappointed by the form rejection, after going through so many stages (including the preliminary offer of editing help). I couldn't help getting my hopes up a bit, since no other agency has put me through such a process. I was also left wondering about who the other agency fellows were and how much Carolyn knew about my manuscript, before they brought it to her, after all this time.

I would not not recommend this agency, but I would advise people not to get their hopes up, as I did. Their selection process seemed a bit unorthodox, and perhaps not as efficient as it could have been.

Headshots? That's a first for me. Even my agent hasn't asked for that!

I'm sorry it didn't work out. Keep on swimming.

Trinza

!!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ztringali.wordpress.com
Hey guys! I wanted to wait on posting my thoughts here until I could officially confirm everything.

I queried The Jenks Agency on October 5th (a Friday), got a reply from Carolyn the same day asking for the full manuscript and a three week exclusive. After deciding on a one week exclusive instead, I actually heard back from her on the 8th (Monday) with an offer of representation.

I've since talked on the phone with Carolyn several times and signed a contract with her. She's exceptionally nice and put me at ease right away, helping to settle my nerves during "THE CALL," and answering all of my questions. I've since spoken/worked with several of the other fellows at the agency and they've all been very kind and quick in their responses, so I've had absolutely no troubles.

Regarding the headshots: I don't know what happened there with Laure de Sade! There was talk of headshots, but none were ever requested prior to the signing of the contracts. They keep author bios on their webpage and, from what Carolyn has told me, are transitioning to using professional quality headshots in all of these to give a better presentation. So, headshots are needed, but none of that was asked of me before we'd signed.

If you guys have any other questions, feel free to ask!

Last edited:

Anna L.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annafrost.ca
The acquisitions intern, Biz[...]

I wonder if Biz replaced Marisa as the acquisition intern or something. I received an enthusiastic response to my full MS from Marisa back in June and never heard again from her, despite a brief follow up email. I'm putting it down as a no response.

Edit: Yep, according to LinkedIn, Marisa is no longer with the agency. That explains the lack of answer.

Last edited:

Anna L.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annafrost.ca
Update: I shot a check in email at the general email address and was told that I waited too long to follow up and they have no record of my submission (after three months they're lost?). Considering that I DID nudge earlier and got no response, I'm not impressed.