Lost a bit of confidence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anahid21

Registered
Reaction score
Those of you who've read my previous post (the one about the giant novel) know that I have written a novel that is...well, gigantic, for all the wrong reasons. And after discussing the issue here about a month or so ago I decided to rewrite the whole thing, the right way this time.

However I think I've lost my confidence. In my writing and in my story. I find myself thinking the story over and changing the plot in my head, and the result of it all is that I feel I don't like my story anymore. I think the many years writing it coupled with the subsequent multiple rejections and the final decision to rewrite has caused me to lose my confidence.

On the other hand there's been a new story cooking in my head that I keep adding ideas to and would make a nice little novel. I was wondering whether I should leave the other longer, more complicated story alone for a while and write this new novel. It's true that I haven't researched it as extensively as I've done the first and that the story is much simpler and not half as unique as my giant master disaster, but at least this way I may have some motivation to work on it and not hate myself or the story because I feel incapable of writing it the way it should be written.

Please let me know what you think. Is it: no you got this far with the old one, it's best to finish it? Or: taking a break and your mind off of it might be a good idea and the new story would provide a nice diversion as well as a means for practice? I'm all ears for suggestions.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I'd go work on the new one. You've learned a lot from the old one, and I'm personally not someone who would say keep working on it for years and put other projects aside to do it. It might turn out that the project was a step in the learning process, and it might be one that you just need to distance yourself from for awhile, but I vote for writing something new. Plus, you'll be learning new things working on new works, and those are things you'll be able to take advantage of if/when you decide to tackle the old one again. Keep in mind nothing is really forever in writing. Even if you set it aside and write something new now, there's nothing to stop you from going back in a year, or five, or ten, and revamping it. Just my own two cents.

XxDethmetalxX

Antiquarian Extraordinare
Registered
Reaction score
I'm with Kaitie. Perhaps after spending a year or two away from the novel you will come to love it again, and if not you had a great learning experience (and fun writing it, I assume).

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Third vote for new one, but only because I think you could open up more possibilities for yourself by starting something new. I mean, I'm all for finishing what you start, but you've already finished this huge one before, and it got rejections, so finishing it again is less immediately necessary.

But then there's the idea that you should start writing the next project as soon as the first one is completed (meaning first draft) - so I'd say go for the new project. When (and it is when, not if) you come back to that huge one, you'll be less anxious about it, because you'll have realised you can make other things work.

Just be wary of counting success as publishing credits. The first stage of success is finishing a first draft.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Just be wary of counting success as publishing credits. The first stage of success is finishing a first draft.

I just thought this was brilliant. :)

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
Fourth vote for a pause. Look, you've finished it. It didn't turn out the way you want it. But you finished it, and learned a whole lot.

Writing novels isn't easy. It's the black-belt level of fiction writing. I doubt there's many that sails through to that level. But you've learned a lot, haven't you, since you finished it. Right?

I have three novels in my trunk. Two of them are irredeemably hopeless. One I might do something about, later. But I'm glad I did them, because they enabled me to write my current ones. Yes, plural. Because I know better what to do.

So, don't feel bad, and start the new one. In a year's time, go back and look at it.

folkchick

Not a new kid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thescribe.godaddysites.com
I believe in finishing something to the end, in the fear that it might be pushed aside forever. Get out some paper and make a list of things you want to change, add, or edit out, and then follow through. Take it section by section, chapter by chapter. If this method does not work, then go ahead and move on.

This is just my advice, you should do what you feel is right. And, of course, listen to the other fine people on this board, they know of what they speak. Best of luck with the project!

Kweei

Expert Procrastinator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kltownsend.com
I agree with the majority. Put that one aside and start on the new one. See where the new project takes you. That old novel might just need time to age or it might just be part of the learning process. Don't throw it out, but I think it's time to move on.

If you end up having moments where new ideas and excitement from the old project come back to you, start to write them down and decide then if you would like to revisit it :)

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Write the new novel. It will be better from all the things you've learned.

Maybe when you're finished that one, you'll be excited to take on the first one again to pare it down. Or maybe you'll be ready for the third brilliant idea.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Most every published author I know has a "trunk novel" that was their first one or didn't work out as planned. Agatha Christie had several that were pubbed post-humously. So did Frank Herbert, and David Foster Wallace. And there are TWO planned for Michael Crichton in the next year or two.

Move on to the new idea. It might be that it's the one that is the perfect fit. Just think---once you become a mega-success, that hidden or forgotten novel will fuel your retirement. :D

analias

Square Training Wheels
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going with the majority on this one. Set it aside. You've proven that you're not some idea-hopper. You finished a first draft, polished it, sent it out. That's a huge accomplishment! But your post reminded me of this blog post from Max Barry: http://maxbarry.com/2009/12/07/news.html though he's talking about first drafts, I think the sentiment still fits.

Sometimes the idea just isn't enough. You learned tons, you learned perseverance, now learn when to ditch things and move on to what excites you.

Last edited:

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
I've just come back to a novel I put "on sabbatical" a few years ago. I have two finished novels worth of experience since then, a whole new approach to the old novel, and a much deeper appreciation of what it's trying to say.

So don't be afraid to set your first novel aside for a while, with love and appreciation for what it's taught you. Attitude is critical for its subconscious evolution -- it's not a failure, it's "on sabbatical."

lucidzfl

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
I'm with the other people. Your confidence shouldn't be shaken (it should be stirred! (Ok sorry ) )

It should be strengthened. You FINISHED something. That, as someone less verbose than me said, is success.

And since its done, there is nothing wrong with writing something new. Stay excited, stay passionate. Write the next thing and come back to it later.

maryland

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, Anahid, think of semi-discarded novels as the cushions on the sofa. They can always be plumped up if visitors arrive.
When the new novel is finished, there will be that comforting feeling that you already have one spare, to be improved, to experiment with. Success all round.

Kalyke

Registered
Reaction score
I was given a lot of very humiliating and unwarrented critiques on a WIP recently, and sat around stewing for a while, and then decided to really re-outline the plot, get what I had, see if there was anything needed, and finish the darned thing-- the way I WANT. So far, my history has been to give up and move on to something else, leaving half finished novels. Whether it is published or not, I would regret not finishing and editing it to a "perfect" and publishable form. Who knows, in 10 years, my kind of fiction might be in vogue, or after I finally publish, I might get some interest in my other writing-- but it needs to be finished, cured, edited, polished, and totally ready to publish.

I also feel that any writer can go back and tweak a novel, or work on another angle of it. The only time it is "dead" is when it is finally published.

lucidzfl

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
I was given a lot of very humiliating and unwarrented critiques on a WIP recently, and sat around stewing for a while, and then decided to really re-outline the plot, get what I had, see if there was anything needed, and finish the darned thing-- the way I WANT. So far, my history has been to give up and move on to something else, leaving half finished novels. Whether it is published or not, I would regret not finishing and editing it to a "perfect" and publishable form. Who knows, in 10 years, my kind of fiction might be in vogue, or after I finally publish, I might get some interest in my other writing-- but it needs to be finished, cured, edited, polished, and totally ready to publish.

I also feel that any writer can go back and tweak a novel, or work on another angle of it. The only time it is "dead" is when it is finally published.

How on earth did you get an unwarranted critique?

Nateskate

Registered
Reaction score
Is the first story a great story? That's a separate question from "Is it well-written?"

A great story is always worth the fight. I've been there. If it's a so-so story then maybe you should start with a blank canvas. But I fought the fight with so many re-writes that it felt like marching to Mount Doom.

No doubt your skills will grow with each re-write. But it does seem almost like starting from scratch, and sometimes harder.

Z0Marley

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
No one ever said it would be easy, only that it would be worth it.

Writing isn't easy. The question is: is it worth it for you?

Put everything away for a week. Go to pull up your story. You'll either have your fingers racing across your keyboard, or you'll sigh. Depending on your reaction is what you should do. You have an opinion. If you sigh -- take a break. Mess around with ideas of different books. If you're excited, then it's obvious that you want to stick with it.

This isn't something others can advise. You either have the passion to continue or you need a break. It really is that simple.

Best of luck!

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
Definitely start the new novel. You can always come back to the old one at a later date!

When your enthusiasm has taken a blow, you don't want to make yourself work on something for which you already have little enthusiasm.

AryaT92

Banned
Reaction score
I would trunk it for the time being, start a new novel and come back to it.

Anahid21

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for all the wonderful advice. Wow, it seems overwhelmingly in favor of the new novel.

To answer those who asked if the first one is a great story, I'd say it is a good story, not necessarily a great story. It has the potential to be a superb story, I know that because half the agents I queried with the idea showed interest even though I was a first timer with zero background. It was only when they saw the manuscript that they wilted, and I don't blame them. Everybody here is right, I learned a lot.

That's where the second story comes in. It's a product of the new me. The me that knows her strengths and weaknesses. I've no longer stuffed the story with 100 years of backstory and a huge, unfamiliar environment and characters whose names you can't pronounce. In short there aren't too many balls to juggle in this one, unlike the other one. The first story has great potential to become something truly amazing in the hands of a master writer. I just don't see myself as one, not yet.

Still, I want to absolutely be sure this time. Is there a place on this board where you can post your ideas or synopsis of a novel and get feedback? Before I dive into writing it might be a good idea I run the new storyline by some people so that if the majority thinks it's too cliche or lame I don't waste my time on it.

P.S. "Trunk it." Learned a new phrase. I'm moving up the ladder in the community. :)

Proach

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.deannasworks.synthasite.com
Hi Anahid21. Sometimes getting that first excellent, best-selling idea can be a challenge. I really think that if you feel really positive about your new story that is evolving in your head, I would go for it. Before you actually start writing it, do a detailed outline for yourself. That way, it would give you time to get to know your characters and help with the plot development. Put your old, big book away for now, but you never know in the future, a whole new story just might evolve out of the old one. Just write your new story, don't give up hope and never give up. Many of the most famous authors experienced tons of rejections before the right person took a chance on them.

AryaT92

Banned
Reaction score
Still, I want to absolutely be sure this time. Is there a place on this board where you can post your ideas or synopsis of a novel and get feedback? Before I dive into writing it might be a good idea I run the new storyline by some people so that if the majority thinks it's too cliche or lame I don't waste my time on it.

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26

The password is "vista".

Good luck!

bclement412

Registered
Reaction score
I'd put the gigantic one aside for a bit, giving you time to clear your head of that plot and starting a new one. If the new idea doesn't work, you've already something to fall back on. If the old story means a lot to you and you have faith that one day it will succeed, make yourself miss writing it. But for the time being, start something new and detach yourself from the huge novel. It will pay off :)

Good luck! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.