What should I name my world?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noogah

Ranger #1
Registered
Reaction score
I am having trouble coming up with a good name for my fantasy world.

Brief overview: It's an underground world inhabited primarily by cryptids and monster esque creatures that you see in nightmares. It's only source of light is dark red lava. It is accessed via a passageway in an Australian jungle.

I have designed the tribal community underground to be very Kenya like in their conduct and speech, so I thought the name should be Kenya-ish as well. Something like, Kokutokum, only more memorable.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Noogah

Ranger #1
Registered
Reaction score
Lol!

I guess it will be worth the work when it's finished. Maybe it's a common problem.

stephenf

Registered
Reaction score
There are some good place names in Kenya, I would be tempted to use a real one.Failing that option, here is my attempt at a Kenya ish name......Morangia

evol_reed

Registered
Reaction score
One resource I find very useful when I run into the "what to name" issue is surprisingly http://www.babynames.com/

Click on the advanced search and you can pull up names by meaning. For instance, you could search for African names that mean "earth." There's a special section of tips for writers as well you may want to check out.

Good luck!

MGraybosch

Lunch Break Novelist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.matthewgraybosch.com
Brief overview: It's an underground world inhabited primarily by cryptids and monster esque creatures that you see in nightmares. It's only source of light is dark red lava. It is accessed via a passageway in an Australian jungle.

If your subterranean world is accessible through the Australian jungle, wouldn't it make more sense for the tribesmen living there to have a greater cultural connection to aboriginal Australians than to one of the tribes of Kenya?

Noogah

Ranger #1
Registered
Reaction score
If your subterranean world is accessible through the Australian jungle, wouldn't it make more sense for the tribesmen living there to have a greater cultural connection to aboriginal Australians than to one of the tribes of Kenya?

Elementary observation.

You see...uh....duh....buh.

:scratches head:

Now...why did I fail to notice that?

One resource I find very useful when I run into the "what to name" issue is surprisingly http://www.babynames.com/

Click on the advanced search and you can pull up names by meaning. For instance, you could search for African names that mean "earth." There's a special section of tips for writers as well you may want to check out.

Good idea. Thankyou!

third person

She blinded me--with magic!
Registered
Reaction score
extensive research always yields good ideas. brew 2 pots of coffee and get cracking!

megan_d

Falling in the milk
Registered
Reaction score

Exactly what I was thinking.

lividseras

Hmmm...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lividseras1.blogspot.com
Sometimes, when i am having a really hard time coming up with a name I let my fingers do the walking, so to speak. Go into a search engine, type in a random word that comes to mind, if it sounds good great, if not retype it... and the press search and if nothing comes up your in the clear. I've came up with a few okay names... they just dont fit my world... so i decided to put the name on hold until i write the novel.. and then i am sure it will come to me. :) Good Luck on finding your perfect name.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Have you ever tried a 'random word generator'? Set the parameters for "obscure" and "noun" and you'll get some amazingly cool words! If you don't like the first batch, just hit it again and try a second batch. I've named demons after flower parts and plants after birds. It's all about how it rolls off the tongue and "feels" in your head. :)

There are more out there on the internet you can search out, but I like this one because it has the level of use. I want something weird but realistic sounding, so this one works well for me. Have fun!

Mharvey

Liker Of Happy Things
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I stink at naming things. I tend to just throw random letters together as a temporary placeholder until something comes up.

The world where The Prison takes place is called Targentia - though in hindsight, I probably hit too close to Conan on that one. King Conan rules from the city of Tarantia.

Best way to come up with a good name is try not to think of it. It'll come in time. In the meantime, throw random letters together, use it as a place holder, and don't lose any sleep. Pacenia. Jacordia. Maldarnia. Jumonsoira. Somethingthatendswithan'ia'ia.

Have you ever tried a 'random word generator'? Set the parameters for "obscure" and "noun" and you'll get some amazingly cool words! If you don't like the first batch, just hit it again and try a second batch. I've named demons after flower parts and plants after birds. It's all about how it rolls off the tongue and "feels" in your head.

There are more out there on the internet you can search out, but I like this one because it has the level of use. I want something weird but realistic sounding, so this one works well for me. Have fun!

Okay... this is cooler than sliced bread. Thanks for the link! :D

Last edited:

Noogah

Ranger #1
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah cathy, thanks. Cool idea. I'll do that.

And as for the whole Australia thing, well, the world can be accessed from many different places around the globe. But locally, I guess it would make more sense for an Aboriginal influence.

Smudorphium

"Welcome to Smudorphium!" Yeah...

I'm sorry, that's far too awesome for any book of mine.

Etola

Still looking for stars...
Registered
Reaction score
You could call it...

Smudorphium

"Welcome to Smudorphium!" Yeah...

I saw this and my mind jumped to a combination of Smurf and opium. And now I can't get this image out of my head of a decadent, opium-laced city full of Smurfs, with a dark gritty Victorian-with-Oriental-influences look to it. o_O

scottishpunk

Registered
Reaction score
I saw this and my mind jumped to a combination of Smurf and opium. And now I can't get this image out of my head of a decadent, opium-laced city full of Smurfs, with a dark gritty Victorian-with-Oriental-influences look to it. o_O

You're welcome.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Call it whatever you want. It's an alien world, so you could call it, Hereselvis. And no-one can say it's the wrong name.

Noogah

Ranger #1
Registered
Reaction score
Log, if I call it just any ole' thing, I could come up with something like...

Mudspukooketrastretchifia

The name has to be perfect, because, C'mon. Narnia/terabithia/middle earth? Those names stick to ya WAY more than Smudorphium.

badducky

No Time For Chitchat, Kemosabe.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
I have this image in my mind of one of those words that fantasy books are (in)famous for having, with all those strange clicks and glottal stops. This makes me unhappy.

Why does it need a name anyway? Can't it just be, as it is, and never need a name?

Can't you just call it something simple, uncool, unexciting? Let the place and the things there exist without your false attempts at forcing upon them a label!

It is "underground". It is "through the portal". It is, to those tribal cultures, merely a "Home".

Mharvey

Liker Of Happy Things
Registered
Reaction score

The name has to be perfect, because, C'mon. Narnia/terabithia/middle earth? Those names stick to ya WAY more than Smudorphium.

... I dunno, Smurfopium has a ring to it. :D

Imagine if Tolkein was drunk when he named Middle Earth

Gandolf: "We must embark on an epic quest to Mordor to scale to the tip of the world and cast the One Ring into the fires of Mount Doom. The fate of Smurfopium depends on it! Who's comin with me?"

Legolas: "..."
Gimili: "..."

Gandolf: "Who's comin with me?! For Smurfopium?"

Frodo: "..."
Sam: "..."

Gandolf: "Okay, you know what. I'm taking the gold fish. Me and the goldfish are going to Mordor. I am taking... the gold fish..."

Last edited:

knight_tour

Fantasy Tourist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tedacross.blogspot.com
I've always wondered what people called our world back when they didn't know it was a world, when they thought it was flat. In my fantasy novel the people have the same issue, so they have no name for the world (they don't even know it is a world or what a world is). They do have names for their regions, cities, provinces, etc.

As for a name for your underground world, perhaps something simple and barbaric sounding - Chuga, Juga, Chaga...??

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score

Take a word. Substitue and rearrange vowels in it until it sounds weird. Put it in, see how it works.

Noogah

Ranger #1
Registered
Reaction score
... I dunno, Smurfopium has a ring to it. :D

Imagine if Tolkein was drunk when he named Middle Earth

Gandolf: "We must embark on an epic quest to Mordor to scale to the tip of the world and cast the One Ring into the fires of Mount Doom. The fate of Smurfopium depends on it! Who's comin with me?"

Legolas: "..."
Gimili: "..."

Gandolf: "Who's comin with me?! For Smurfopium?"

Frodo: "..."
Sam: "..."

Gandolf: "Okay, you know what. I'm taking the gold fish. Me and the goldfish are going to Mordor. I am taking... the gold fish..."

You made my day!

Status
Not open for further replies.