Would somebody please explain the point of "marriage," any marriage. . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
Wait... what about people who are married by justices of the peace (justice of the peaces?) - and not by any church. Are they not married either?

I've read through this thread twice and I'm still baffled.

And it's moot anyway because churches don't have anything to do with custody of children. People who aren't married and have children have custody battles as well.

I'm going to go read again - maybe it'll be less fuzzy. I doubt it, but I'll give it the ol' college try.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Those big red Texas Ruby grapefruit are terrific. You can eat 'em like oranges.

Ruv Draba

Banned
Reaction score
Child custody cases are crap, and it's worse when parents try to get society to buy in from its various biases.

I'm not at all comfortable with children being raised by contract, because I deal with contracts every working day and know how they can be abused.

Children need a commitment stronger than contract; one that puts their interests first. I don't think that has as much to do with marriage, religion or genes as it has to do with love.

DavidZahir

Malkavian Primogen
Registered
Reaction score
Website
undeadwhispers.yuku.com
I'm going by Lisa's quote and imo, you should be more concerned about what constitutes truth with regard to government rights versus clinging to a religous and thus irrational convention that government has not business being in. . . .
And again--what makes you think marriage is a religious monopoly? Especially since atheists get married all the time? And marriages all over the world take place without any kind of religious sanction?

Never mind about me, kindly answer the question.

Gregg

Life is good
Registered
Reaction score
I prefer Orange-Peach-Mango juice.

Grapefruit can have an adverse effect on some of the prescription medication I take.

Deleted member 42

I only like grapefruit with a lot of sugar on it. And that kind of defeats the whole purpose of eating the grapefruit in the first place, doesn't it?

I'm planning on adding vodka to to it (Gray Goose, maybe, but probably Koenig Potato Vodka from Idaho).

I hear the Grayhound is frequently a cornerstone of a good marriage.

Deleted member 42

Vodka might help. I never thought of trying it. The kids will wonder why I'm so cheery, since it's a bit of an understatement to say I'm not a morning person. :D

Exactly! And I can tell you vodka and coffee is meh.

Deleted member 42

I haven't actually tried Kalua. Bailey's I like over ice; I prefer Tullamore Dew, Jameson's or Bushmill's in coffee, though Rye is pretty fine, too. I plan to do a Irish Coffee Showdown in January or February.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
So, BoP, please define what exactly the question/statement you are proposing to the board is.

JMBlackman

I’m trying.
Registered
Reaction score
Children need a commitment stronger than contract; one that puts their interests first. I don't think that has as much to do with marriage, religion or genes as it has to do with love.

Well said.

On the subject matter of...well, the subject matter of the original post, it sorta just seems like a way to start a fight about definitions. Which can be and are endless.

But what I really wanted to say was---I so just googled the best way to eat a grapefruit a couple of hours ago. I have two on the counter which I've been pondering how to eat. Cut in halves and attempt with a spoon? Peel? Cut and eat like a watermelon (from the rind)?

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
The divorce rate in America for first marriage is 41%
Encouraging, isn't it??
Yes !

It's an amazingly low failure rate. That's great news.

Imagine if someone told you that the odds of selling a first novel was 59%. Would you be discouraged !?

When your child grows up, falls in love and marries .. there is a 59% chance that their marriage will survive for the rest of their life.

That's an incredible success rate for a lifelong agreement.

It's a great statistic.

Mac

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.