The Best and Worst of the Decade

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
An article at Reason raises an interesting question for all of us. What were the best and worst events of the decade?

I'll go with two from the article, and sneak some quotes in that way. :)

Radley Balko said:
Worst: September 11. For the sheer horrendousness of the attacks and what they represented, but also for the corresponding overreaction from the U.S. government and resulting collateral damage to...well, just about every other area of public policy.
Brian Doherty said:
Best: Global Explosion in The Middle Class. As nearly always in human history, the good news has to be found beyond the worlds of government and public policy. In a decade of grim expansion of state power and resource grabs, and further diminution of constitutional limits on that expansion, all persons of good will (except, I guess, for people who think human wealth equals planetary destruction) should cheer a trend summed up well by Jesse Walker here at Reason Online: an explosion of entrepreneurship and wealth that has brought the middle class to dominate more than half's the world population by 2006.

What say you?

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Just that it's interesting they can make these "best and worst of the decade" judgements when there's still a year to go in the decade.

tarcanus

Lord of the Tarcans
Registered
Reaction score
Just that it's interesting they can make these "best and worst of the decade" judgements when there's still a year to go in the decade.

I'm sure they're counting year 2000 as the first year of the decade. 1999 being the end of the millennium, after all.

Kisatchie

I stop at railroad crossings
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure they're counting year 2000 as the first year of the decade. 1999 being the end of the millennium, after all.

The new millennium started January 1st, 2001. Why do you think Arthur C. Clarke's "2001: A Space Oddysey" starts with 2001? Did the first millennium start with year 0?

sulong

It's a matter of what is.
Registered
Reaction score
The new millennium started January 1st, 2001. Why do you think Arthur C. Clarke's "2001: A Space Oddysey" starts with 2001? Did the first millennium start with year 0?

No. One (1) year had already past when they replaced the "0" with the "1".

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Jesus was born in the year 0 AD?

I thought only C programmers counted starting at zero.

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Everyone starts counting at 1. But the 1 means 1 second/minute/whatever has now passed since the 'beginning'. The decade began at the first instant after midnight 2000, and tonight is the last night of it.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I would prefer a global definition of "middle class"

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
I think the 9/11 attacks are right up there as the worst thing for exactly the reason indicated on post #1

But in my memory the event that sticks out as the worst thing of the decade was the Tsunami in SE Asia.

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I find it idiotic to argue over whether the decade (and the millenium) started in 2000 or 2001. Either one is arbitrary, just as any system of numbering the years is arbitrary. Including the one we use, which miscalculated the year 1 anyway.

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
I think the 9/11 attacks are right up there as the worst thing for exactly the reason indicated on post #1

But in my memory the event that sticks out as the worst thing of the decade was the Tsunami in SE Asia.

I'd agree with that. The tsumami was on the order of 100 times worse than 9/11.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
I'd agree with that. The tsumami was on the order of 100 times worse than 9/11.
While I agree that the impact of the tsunami was much worse, intent has to factor in to this as well.

People decided to hijack planes as weapons, knowing the immediate damage that would happen, as well as hoping for the jihad and wars that would possibly follow.

Natural disasters happen, but they don't escalate or retaliate.

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not disputing that. Obviously the ramifications went way beyond the incident itself. But it's hard for me to see how it comes close to an event that wiped out 300,000 people. Even the most pessimistic estimates of the death tolls from the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq that came as a result of 9/11 don't come close to that. I think picking 9/11 over the tsunami as the worst event of the decade shows a fairly blatant American-centric view of the world, and I'm pretty damn sure that if the tsunami had hit Los Angeles instead Malaysia, it would be on the top of the list.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Ben, note:

the decade. Nothing about which century, or which decade. Or anything mathematically incorrect.

The aughts are 2000-2009... the third digit is all aughts.

The tens will all have a third digit of one. And so forth. And so on.

Or did the roarin' 20's start in 1921 and end in... 1930???

Sheesh! I'm gonna stop creating topics; the nitpicking seems to always be the focus, instead of the intent of the topic.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
I would prefer a global definition of "middle class"
From the cited article.
The Economist estimates that about a tenth of the developing world now lives at that level. But "those who are middle-class by the standards of the developing world," the writer adds, are now "a majority of the developing world's population." Citing the New Delhi–based economist Surjit Bhalla, the magazine also reports that "the middle class's share of the whole world's population rose from one-third to over half (57%) between 1990 and 2006," with most of that growth taking place in poorer countries.

Smiling Ted

Ah-HA!
Registered
Reaction score
The Economist estimates that about a tenth of the developing world now lives at that level. But "those who are middle-class by the standards of the developing world," the writer adds, are now "a majority of the developing world's population." Citing the New Delhi–based economist Surjit Bhalla, the magazine also reports that "the middle class's share of the whole world's population rose from one-third to over half (57%) between 1990 and 2006," with most of that growth taking place in poorer countries.

That's great news...if it's true. But a few things leap out of that statement.

The first is that the measurement ended in 2006. We're now going into 2010. What effect did the financial crisis have on this wealth creation? How much of it remains? How much of it was illusory?

The second was that this was "middle class by the standards of the developing world." Don't add on a two-car garage just yet.

The third was that Surjit Bhalla (who admittedly has credentials - Princeton, Brookings, and RAND) has a book coming out whose title is The Middle Class Kingdoms of China and India. In other words, he sort of has a stake in this thesis being true. The Economist has a habit of quoting the experts who agree with its editorial stance. And for the last twenty years, their stance has been that free trade and globalization are an unalloyed economic boon. Add to that the fact that economic statistics get mushier and more inconclusive the bigger you go - and you don't too much bigger than the developing world - and you can prove almost anything you like.

I hope it's true, and I think it's pretty clear that there has been some improvement in the developing world. But the extent of that improvement isn't clear enough for sunny, optimistic conclusiveness.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
4 BC, since the guy who did the counting screwed up a little. But there's no such thing as a year 0 on the Gregorian calendar according to Wikipedia.

AD means "in the year of Our Lord", so it begins with AD 1, i.e. the first year of our Lord. (Or the first year of the Common Era, if you prefer.)