Do eBooks affect the author's cut?

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Since the price on eBooks is generally lower then the physical books, does the amount an author get from an eBook differ from a physical one?
Or is only the cost usually paid for printing and binding being dropped?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
A typical author royalty on an ebook would be 30-40% which ends up being a higher amount per book than for a paperback.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It should be spelled out in the contract what it is. Generally, the royalty rate is higher for ebooks.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Can a contract cover both eBook royalty rates, and physical book rates?
I know 'Three Days to Dead' is in both formats. Maybe ChaosTitan can illuminate that.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Of course. The contract will usually say which rights are taken, which will or may be exploited, and the terms for each.

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
My E-book sells for 5.50 - a bit lower than your average paperback- the higher priced ones are for well-known authors I think- as far as contracts go- I have two- one for the digital version and one for the print version-

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
It depends on the length of the book. My novels sell between 6 and 7 dollars each--which is comparable with paperback prices. My short story collection sells for a buck fifty. My contract stipulates that I receive a 40% royalty off of the e-books and 8% off the paperback sales.

So yes--it affects the author's cut. Quite frankly, I (at least) get more money from e-book sales than I will when the print run comes out in a few months. But I don't care. A sale is a sale is a sale.