dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
There is a strange thing happening in Washington and on the talking-head shows this year.

More and more, our politicians and pundits are reaching for the extremes. Not necessarily in their politics, but in their word choices.

For instance:

I noticed early in the year, that President Obama seemed to believe that every event that ever happened in his administration was "unprecedented." Apparently, Politico noticed too.

Yesterday, President Obama said the Detroit underwear-bombing attempt was a catastrophic failure. No, Mr. President. A catastrophic failure looks like tons of steel and smoke, and bodies strewn across the ground. We've seen catastrophic failure, and this wasn't that, thank God.

Anyway, it's not just the president. It's the people who report on him. Ed Schultz, for instance, who yesterday, reported that the UK had probably been our best ally since the country started.

Really, Ed?

Really?

Do you remember *how* our country started?

Anyway...

Thoughts? Opinions? Am I crazy here, or is American journalism and politics nothing but extremist language anymore?

Slushie

Custom User Title
Registered
Reaction score
You're right on. Pundits taking things to the extreme and polarizing the demographics probably helps to reel in ratings. Divide and conquer? I'll try to find some more examples. Shouldn't be too hard, right?

Slushie

Custom User Title
Registered
Reaction score
Newsweek: Why Pundits Are Bad Predictors. I don't really read this publication, but it's an interesting article anyway.

The media, of course, eat this up. Bold, decisive assertions make better sound bites; bombast, swagger and certainty make for better TV. As a result, the marketplace of ideas does not punish poor punditry. Few of us even remember who got what wrong. We are instead impressed by credentials, affiliation, fame and even looks—traits that have no bearing on a pundit's accuracy.

Status
Not open for further replies.