Buy books by AWers

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 53 of 53 FirstFirst ... 3284347484950515253
Results 1,301 to 1,312 of 1312

Thread: What we're reading, the MTS edition

In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasis of Austin.
    I'm in the middle of Philip Kerr's newest, Prussian Blue. Like all his books, it's incredibly well researched and the characters are phenomenal, especially the MC, Bernie Gunther. He writes the kind of books I aspire to write. Three thumbs up.

Making my own sunshine AW Moderator heyjude's Avatar
    You can let go of my thumb now!

Never Surrender AW Moderator Maryn's Avatar
    I just finished Harlan Coben's "Missing You," about a female police detective who never got over her fiance dumping her or her father's murder. When a friend "gifts" her with a membership on a dating website, she's appalled and intrigued to see her ex looking for love.

I enjoyed it, although I was incredibly (and unreasonably) irked by a few editing failures that leapt from the page, like site for sight and ringer for wringer. Still, I always like his stand-alone thrillers.

Maryn, not as fond of Coben's series
    Get to work. Success isn't built on the power of your dreams.

Brick by Brick, a ménage ŕ trois novel
    Taming the Wilde, FemDom spotted--and striped--in the wild
    Men in Love, anthology about--hey, you're already there, aren't you?
    Maryn Says, an irregular blog almost never about writing
    The Occasional Tweet

Go down road, go pub. Mary Mitchell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Maryn View Post
    I just finished Harlan Coben's "Missing You,"...Still, I always like his stand-alone thrillers.

Maryn, not as fond of Coben's series
    Like you, I love his stand alone's best. Got a kick (different, though) out of his original Bolitar books. However, I find that since he started his YA series, his adult books have changed (not to my liking), and he includes references to the YA content that I don't get because I'm an "OA" (old adult) and don't read YA.

Still love him, though.
    It's a simple fact of life that not everyone will be your target audience.

Then you'll be jealous that I met him and spent most of an evening assigned the same table at the awards banquet of a now-defunct mystery convention. He's a very nice guy in person, unassuming and supportive of writers who have not had his level of success. Not all the pros in attendance were people I wanted to know better.

I never got into the Myron Bolitar series. Like Janet Evanovich's series, it's funny and readable and just not my thing.

Often I enjoy the subtle cross-references to his other books--or miss them altogether, I assume. When an author does that with a heavy hand, I detest it.

The Occasional Tweet

Quote Originally Posted by Maryn View Post
    Then you'll be jealous that I met him and spent most of an evening assigned the same table...Not all the pros in attendance were people I wanted to know better.
    Oh yes, I'm jealous. I suspect (could be out to lunch) that authors whose MC's express self-deprecating humor (as Coben's do) are themselves not overly self-important. Authors who don't see the world that way probably have a tougher time not letting success go to their heads. After all, how can you not think you're overly important when the world keeps telling you that you are?

Good point. I suppose the tone and voice of the narrating character is often close to the author himself/herself.

Maryn, waving at you from the other side of Lake Ontario

The Occasional Tweet

Rereading a bunch of Lee Child. If anyone wants to see the effectiveness of "less is more" in the sentence length department, he's your man. His short sentences don't seem choppy or abrupt or jarring. They seem to simply follow the pattern of how we think, which is often in incomplete sentences.

Murder! You want fries with that? pdichellis's Avatar
    Now reading mystery shorts! Turns out May is Short Story Month, so the nice folks at the Short Mystery Fiction Society are posting links to members' stories (free to read) every day.

Today's freebie is "They Die in Eight Minutes" by Yours Truly (so I've read it already), archived at Shotgun Honey.
    Recent story: “Darkness, Darkness” - A blind man is the only witness to a murder. Detectives sort through the clues he provides. In Mystery Weekly (July 2017).

For more, visit my site Murder and Fries or my Amazon author page. Or check my AW Library listings in the Mystery, Short Fiction, and Humor sections.

Reading Be Frank With Me by Julia Claiborne Johnson. I can't believe how some writers (like Julia Claiborne Johnson) can hook me so thoroughly while telling a story that has virtually no visible plot. I mean, it's there (it has to be, doesn't it?), but it's basically a stream of daily happenings while she's nannying a very odd child. But it's told with such voice, it's fabulous.

Boo Radley with a laptop
    I just finished The Killing School: Inside the World's Deadliest Sniper Program (good narrative nonfiction), by Brandon Tyler Webb and John David Mann. I'm now reading John Grisham's Camino Island.

Making my own sunshine AW Moderator heyjude's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mary Mitchell View Post
    I can't believe how some writers (like Julia Claiborne Johnson) can hook me so thoroughly while telling a story that has virtually no visible plot.
    Awesome review.

I just read A Beautiful Poison, by Lydia Kang, and I give it seven zillion stars even though I don't normally do historical mysteries. It was amazing.

Page 53 of 53 FirstFirst ... 3284347484950515253