• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Tribe Literary Agency / Wheelhouse Literary Group

honeysock

Tell me to leave. Please.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Mom. : )

My Lazy Meter indicator today is hovering right around 9.75. If I try really hard, I can probably take a nap with my face on my keyboard and get it to *boing* on the 10.

agentpaper

One of many
Registered
Reaction score
- Lynn Rush accepted representation in January 2010 (link here). It looks like Lynn has another book being published as a result of entry into a contest, but I haven't been able to find out who the publisher is and it seems that Cari was not responsible for getting this deal--She wasn't. Lynn was offered a contract to Hearts On Fire press when she won the Write Your Name Across the Sky contest. She contacted Cari and then Cari offered her representation. ETA: Oops didn't read you'd already posted the deets. :Headbang: Oops, so much for skimming. :D

I haven't found anything indicating that Tribe has yet secured publishing deals for any of these authors.--They haven't, but they've only been open for three months. Though I'm surprised they didn't have any one they brought with them from before. MM

A friend of mine was offered rep, but turned it down when she couldn't get Cari to answer any of her emails --IE the list of questions she had that we all ask our agents before signing--or let her see the contract. She decided to sign with someone else because she felt that Cari wouldn't be able to sell her work or if she'd even be treated well if she did sign.

Last edited:

SeanTPoindexter

Praise Tiamat
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.seanpoindexter.com
Okay, thanks.

I understand that some publishers can take a while to come back to people. It usually seems to turn on how close the relationship is between agent and acquiring editor as to how fast the turn around is, but sometimes you just hit a time when they've got too much going on.

How long has it been since the submissions went out?

MM

A month. I answered that question already in my initial response:
Proposals and sample chapters for my first book were submitted to publishers a little under a month ago after a few rounds of edits, rewrites and discussions on the direction of my series. No rejections yet. As you know (or should) these things can take months, 3 to 9...I've had published writers I know personally say it has taken longer (one in particular said it took a year and a half...I don't think I could stand waiting that long!)
This is what I'm talking about with asking the same question repeatedly to make it seem as though the subject is being elusive. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, since you've been one of the more sensible individuals I've had to deal with here, and assume you just missed the first sentence of my reply.

They haven't, but they've only been open for three months. Though I'm surprised they didn't have any one they brought with them from before.

They did. Jonathan brought all of his clients from the Nashville Agency. That has already been discussed on this very thread.

A friend of mine was offered rep, but turned it down when she couldn't get Cari to answer any of her emails --IE the list of questions she had that we all ask our agents before signing--or let her see the contract.
That is the exact opposite of my experience with Cari, as well as the experience of any of the other writers I know who have interacted with her. I even know a writer who she turned down for representation, but still talks to on a regular basis. I communicate with Cari nearly every day. Even before being signed she was responsive to my questions and communication. When she made an offer, I talked to her at length before receiving the contract, and was permitted to allow an attorney to review it before signing. She was not the only agent to offer me representation, but she was the only one who made regular communication a priority. I had a lengthy conversation with her just last night!

I'm done with this. Anyone wants to speak to me personally can email me via my website. Assume whatever you like of my leaving the conversation. I no longer care. I'll happily answer and personal inquiries but I'm done here for now. I'll come back when my book is sold. If it turns out my agent doesn't know what she's doing, I'll be the first to admit it and warn others.

--StP
Praise Tiamat.

agentpaper

One of many
Registered
Reaction score
They did. Jonathan brought all of his clients from the Nashville Agency. That has already been discussed on this very thread.

Okay, so Jonathan did. Why didn't she? She was an editor for a long time, right? So how come not one of her previous clients signed on with her? Isn't that expected of an editor? (I'm not being snarky, I really want to know. I've read in other threads that this would be normal. Am I wrong? I apologize ahead of time if I am.)

That is the exact opposite of my experience with Cari, as well as the experience of any of the other writers I know who have interacted with her. I even know a writer who she turned down for representation, but still talks to on a regular basis. I communicate with Cari nearly every day. Even before being signed she was responsive to my questions and communication. When she made an offer, I talked to her at length before receiving the contract, and was permitted to allow an attorney to review it before signing. She was not the only agent to offer me representation, but she was the only one who made regular communication a priority. I had a lengthy conversation with her just last night!

This isn't the first time I'd heard of this. I have another friend with a similar situation that I am not free to discuss, but I will say the person felt she was very inexperienced and also decided to go with someone else. Now there are quite a few people who ARE happy with her. And I'm happy they're happy. I'm just relating what I know so people can make an informed decision.

Last edited:

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
SeanTPoindexter:
A month. I answered that question already in my initial response:

Thanks for clarifying.

As a point of fact, I did spot that you'd said it had been submitted a month ago in that post, however I was seeking clarification on the point. This is because back when you first started posting on this thread, you may recall that I asked whether your books were out on submission or about to go on submission and in your post of 14th January, you seemed to indicate that your book was already on submission. Specifically in you said:

You are well aware that I cannot discuss which specific markets my book has been sent to.

I therefore wasn't clear whether you were talking about having a new book out on submission which went out a month ago, or whether this was the book you were originally referring to in January.

Either way, thank you for responding.

SeanTPoindexter:
This is what I'm talking about with asking the same question repeatedly to make it seem as though the subject is being elusive. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, since you've been one of the more sensible individuals I've had to deal with here, and assume you just missed the first sentence of my reply.

It's not a matter of trying to make you seem elusive, it's more a matter of making sure my understanding of the situation is correct.

SeanTPoindexter:
Jonathan brought all of his clients from the Nashville Agency. That has already been discussed on this very thread.

This is actually one of the things that continues to puzzle me because I can't find any indication on the internet at all that Jonathan's clients are with Tribe.

If you Google "Tribe Literary Agency" then the only names that come up are those authors who have already been identified as clients and Cari herself. There is no mention of Jonathan at all and the web page for Jonathan Clements' Wheelhouse Literary Group, while admittedly still under construction, makes no reference at all to Tribe.

SeanTPoindexter:
I'll come back when my book is sold. If it turns out my agent doesn't know what she's doing, I'll be the first to admit it and warn others.

Okay, well good luck as it would be good to see you come back with a success.

MM

SeanTPoindexter

Praise Tiamat
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.seanpoindexter.com
Thank you, MM. I apologize for my defensive tone directed at you. I was taking my frustration with others out on you, and that was inappropriate. I appreciate your patience.

I have sent you a private message.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
By way of update, Sean's let me know by PM that he's had some positive news from publishers. Further details are on his Myspace blog, which can be accessed via his website (a link for which is in his signature).

MM

Violent Harvest

Registered
Reaction score
While I enjoy skimming this website and appreciate the efforts of writers to provide a heads up on potential scammers or bad agents, the preemptive crucifying of Jonathan Clements and Cari Foulk in this thread makes me want to refer to this website as "absolutetrite.com"

"Benefit of the doubt" and "innocent until proven guilty" don't really apply here, it seems. Personally, the narcisisstic title of "goddess" that Victoria has chosen to dub herself with really doesn't do it justice. She should change her avatar tag to "Power Tripping Slanderer."

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Violent Harvest:
the preemptive crucifying of Jonathan Clements and Cari Foulk in this thread makes me want to refer to this website as "absolutetrite.com"

I'm a little surprised that you can say this given that the questions raised on this thread have been more about Cari Foulk's experience rather than Jonathan Clements's (who, I believe it is agreed, has a good track record in selling Christian fiction).

To date, I remain unaware of Cari Foulk having made a sale on her own. Do you have information to the contrary? If so, please feel free to share - because all anyone is trying to do is verify her history.

Violent Harvest:
"Benefit of the doubt" and "innocent until proven guilty" don't really apply here, it seems.

I think that asking for information about sales and then having people persistently fail to given information about sales is pretty self-explanatory. This is not a court of law, it is a thread for sharing information.

Evidence of a sale would be enough to stem criticism.

Violent Harvest:
She should change her avatar tag to "Power Tripping Slanderer."

You know, if you're going to troll could you at least get the legal terminology right? It's "Power Tripping Libeller".

Given that you apparently have nothing to say in this debate other than to squeal like a little troll with a spikey plug up its arse, I suppose I should use the opportunity to say that SeanTPoindexter has been PMing me off-thread with news about how his subs are going. All of this can be seen from his blog (a link to which is in the signature to his posts on this thread) so I'm not betraying any confidences by saying this. Progress has been slow (as it generally is in publishing) but he does currently have 3 publishers reading partials or fulls (although I do not know which ones). Obviously this is great news for Sean and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it comes good for him.

MM

Annarkie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
brooklynann.blogspot.com
I DM'd a few of their clients on twitter and apparently they have subs out to publishers as well and are very happy with Cari so far. Still not finding any sales for her yet, but it looks like that could be changing soon.

SeanTPoindexter

Praise Tiamat
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.seanpoindexter.com
It says on Twitter...

We are actively seeking queries in YA, dystopian, sci-fi and horror. Send to [email protected]. :)

You think they're looking for more sci-fi, fantasy, etc type genre of YA, or open to general YA? hrm.

Dystopian and Dystopian-YA are in very high demand right now, as I understand it.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
SeanTPoindexter:
I've had a few more partials and fulls since BEA, including a partial becoming a full. More news as it develops,

Thanks for the update, Sean. It all sounds v. exciting and I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you that you'll get good news soon.

MM

Annarkie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
brooklynann.blogspot.com
I received a full request from Cari on Friday and I asked her about sales. She confirmed that she has none yet, but also that she and Jonathon handle their current clients jointly and she named several houses that she's garnered requests from.

I appreciated her honesty and courtesy, so I'll give her a shot.

As for the website, maybe she's holding off on it until she has sales to post, which is totally understandable.

Annarkie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
brooklynann.blogspot.com
After careful consideration and research, I've signed on with Tribe. Cari has some really great connections with editors in the big houses and has been making more over the last few months. She's way professional and courteous and has great plans for my MS.

I'm very excited to be working with her, and all her other authors are awesome too.

Oh, and their website's up and looking good. :)

I'll keep you all posted on my progress.

mairi

E-pubbed author
Registered
Reaction score
anyone knows what their average response time is to queries w/the requisite 3 chapters attached?

Annarkie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
brooklynann.blogspot.com
I think it took a little under 3 months to hear back from my initial query, and then it was a little over a month before I was offered rep. Things are probably slower since they've been really busy lately.

mairi

E-pubbed author
Registered
Reaction score
I think it took a little under 3 months to hear back from my initial query, and then it was a little over a month before I was offered rep. Things are probably slower since they've been really busy lately.

thanks for answering, annarkie. just hope your agency sends out form Rs. closure is important, y'know. ;)

Robert Turner

Registered
Reaction score
Tribe Lit Agency

After careful consideration and research, I've signed on with Tribe. Cari has some really great connections with editors in the big houses and has been making more over the last few months. She's way professional and courteous and has great plans for my MS.

I'm very excited to be working with her, and all her other authors are awesome too.

Oh, and their website's up and looking good. :)

I'll keep you all posted on my progress.

The Tribe Lit Agency has little “real” publishing experience and, in my view, the standards are looser, providing a home for authors who couldn’t make the publishing grade with the larger, established, and well recognized agencies.

The agency has little credibility and will not provide an author with a serious professional credential. They have a limited budget to adequately market and promote their author’s book titles with an appropriate level of advertising, press releases, review copies, and presence at conventions, book fairs, and ads in genre magazines.

Cari Hawks Foulk is a relative unknown in the world of literary agents and I certainly wouldn’t count on her industry contacts to make your novel successful. She may talk a good line, but talking isn’t what makes a novel successful in the publishing world today.