OMG! China Mieville Brings The SQUIDPOCALYPSE!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
China Mieville's new book is called Kraken. It cannot come out soon enough!

The Natural History Museum's prize exhibit - a giant squid - suddenly disappears. This audacious theft leads Clem, the research scientist who has recently finished preserving the exhibit, into a dark urban underworld of warring cults and surreal magic. It seems that for some, the squid represents a god and should be worshiped as such. Clem gradually comes to realise that someone may be attempting to use the squid to trigger an apocalypse.

ZOMG! Want! Anybody have any other good squid spec fic to tide me over until the spring? Oh, if only the squidpunk anthology was real! The "Gateway" novel series has giant lavender space squid, which is neat. But I want MOAR!

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
There's a short story called "Sheena 5" by Stephen Baxter, which I read a few years back in a Year's Best - the Hartwell & Cramer one, IIRC. It involves squid being adapted for space travel.

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
Edward Willett's Lost in Translation has an important character who is partially squid-like. The image of him turning up at an orphanage on Earth in his aquarium suit to claim a psychic orphan is quite amusing. Everybody involved was very uncomfortable, but for different reasons.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
I love China Mieville. I will be eagerly waiting for this one to come out. Although I am sure my husband will remind me fifty times before then as well. :)

painkillers

Learning by doing
Registered
Reaction score
there was a story, don't remember the name, where a woman was given squid neurons to solve her brain damage, and could communicate with squids afterwards. Lovely image of her in the sea with squid changing colour all around her.

sheena 5 was also part of baxter's phase space series -- though damned if i can remmebre which one (Space...I think).

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
there was a story, don't remember the name, where a woman was given squid neurons to solve her brain damage, and could communicate with squids afterwards. Lovely image of her in the sea with squid changing colour all around her.

ooOOooOOooOO!

S.J.

Addict? I can quit whenever I want!
Registered
Reaction score
Want want want!

I just watched a David Attenborough documentary that made me realise how utterly TERRIFYING squids can be, so this is awesome!

painkillers

Learning by doing
Registered
Reaction score
I have tried to find that short story in my small collection of anthologies. No luck. And i looked on line. No luck. I'm a bit hampered by not remembering the name or author. :Shrug: sorry :(

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
There is only one thing I have to say about a squid story:

IT'S A TRAP!

Status
Not open for further replies.