Religious Extremist Supports Uganda's Proposed Dealth Penalty for Homosexuality

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Sometimes, I am amazed at the proliferation of ignorance in this allegedly educated world. For example, the Red Ribbon Army just posted a link to this news article about Stephen Green, the leader of the Christian Voice extremist group:

"The Bible calls for the ultimate penalty for sodomy (Lev 20:13) and for rape (Deut 22:25), and our Lord upheld the death penalty when He called for the accusers of the woman caught in adultery to cast the first stone (John 8:7) – if, that is, they were not implicated in adultery themselves.
"The contrast between our politicians and those of Uganda could not be more stark. A Parliamentarian in Uganda is trying to protect his nation's children. The House of Commons of the United Kingdom is trying to corrupt ours. Which country is the more civilised, I wonder, in the eyes of Almighty God?"

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2009/12/21/christian-leader-supports-death-penalty-for-gays/

This douche...erm...gentleman has a history of homophobic behavior, including:

On September 2nd 2006, Green was arrested while handing out what were considered by the police to be homophobic leaflets at the Cardiff Mardi Gras.
He was arrested for an alleged "homophobic incident", detained for four hours, and charged with public order offences. The Crown Prosecution Service decided to withdraw its prosecution of Green on the grounds of insufficient evidence, though the police stated that this did not "challenge the legality" of his arrest.

And just so we're clear on what we're discussing here, you can read the thread about the Uganda law or take a look at this concise synopsis:

The law would impose the death penalty on those convicted of having gay sex with a minor or disabled person or someone infected with HIV.
Friends and family members of gay Ugandans who do not report them to authorities could also face up to three years in prison.
People who "promote" or assist homosexuality could be jailed for seven years. The bill would also punish Ugandan citizens who have gay sex abroad.

Amazing ignorance. Also interesting how this fellow has managed to interpret the "let he who is without sin, cast the first stone" bit from the Bible. A fascinating example of twisting words to suit one's agenda.

Rarri

Registered
Reaction score
Proves there are nutcases in every country. It's just mind boggling what some people believe and how they contort religion.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder how long it will be before he's caught tapping somebody's foot in a men's room.

mscelina

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I'm thinking that any "mainstream enabler" who supports the Ugandan anti-gay agenda is nothing but an extremist in disguise. The death penalty? For being gay? Are you serious?

What's next--electroshock therapy for not knowing how to parallel park?

Regardless of if they're termed 'mainstream' or not, they're still extremists.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Now if someone is going around raping people, then I could understand a very strict penalty. But something between two conscenting adults? Disagree with their choices, fine, but kill them? That's more than a little extreme, that's off the deep end.

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
I'm thinking that any "mainstream enabler" who supports the Ugandan anti-gay agenda is nothing but an extremist in disguise. The death penalty? For being gay? Are you serious?

What's next--electroshock therapy for not knowing how to parallel park?

Regardless of if they're termed 'mainstream' or not, they're still extremists.
Then why do these "extremists" keep getting voted into office? Most if not all political elections are a race to the middle to appease the moderates, aka mainstream voters, of the electorate in question.

mscelina

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Then why do these "extremists" keep getting voted into office? Most if not all political elections are a race to the middle to appease the moderates, aka mainstream voters, of the electorate in question.

My honest opinion? I believe it is the direct result of the restrictive nature of the two=party system. Voting anyone into office these days is a series of checks and balances. For example, I may not like candidate A's stance on social issues, but his/her foreign affairs platform and experience is something I agree with. If that candidate is running for the Senate, where social issues are a direct responsibility, I wouldn't vote for that candidate. However, if Candidate A is running for the Presidency, I am more likely to overlook the social agenda (since the Executive branch has very little power--save for veto power--over social legislation) and vote for him/her because of the foreign affairs platform.

But the real flaw when it comes to things like this when electing candidates? We, the voters, are not voting for the candidate's personal views. We're voting for the party's established platform. I'm sure there are lots of Congressmen who are Republican and personally are pro-choice--but in order to get GOP money, they have to embrace the anti-abortion agenda of the party.

In a nutshell, that's why I think these idiots keep getting elected. BUT, regardless of the party platforms ANYONE who advocates the death penalty for human nature is an extremist and should be labeled as such, not vanilla-ed down into some sort of mainstream poster child.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
BUT, regardless of the party platforms ANYONE who advocates the death penalty for human nature is an extremist and should be labeled as such, not vanilla-ed down into some sort of mainstream poster child.
To be fair, none of those politicians are advocating a death penalty. But, imo, their anti gay agenda and support helped fan the flames of an already homophobic nation, and helped create a mental climate where such legislation is possible.

They apparently have great influence on the man who introduced the bill in Uganda -- I don't think they ever thought he would go that far, but their encouragement and support of anti gay rhetoric certainly played a part and they share some moral responsibility.

And their their lack of public opposition -- the reluctance to "involve themselves in the domestic affairs of another nation" when they've been doing exactly that for years, is pitiful.

Gary

Registered
Reaction score
In a world where an official, or unofficial, death penalty is imposed for adultry, drug use, not believing in the proper diety, making toys with lead content, fraternizing with the wrong people, disagreeing with the administration in power, or belonging to the wrong political party...why is it surprising?

As Paul Harvey used to say..."We are not one world".