Usage of historical labels for races/racial mixes

AngelicaRJackson

Angelic Muse
Registered
Reaction score
Website
AngelicaRJackson.blogspot.com
I''ve seen posts on whether whites can realistically portray experiences of other races in their books, but I haven't seen how to handle race in historical works. In my YA historical novel (years 1850-1851), the love interest is mixed race.

He's from the island of Antigua, and the primary source material I have found leads me to believe that he would refer to himself as colored. I'm basing this on The Wonderful Adventures of Mrs. Seacole in Many Lands, and some other contemporary accounts that discuss the distinctions of terms in the islands (such as quadroons, octoroons, etc).

Additionally, when he comes to the States, it seems like he would most likely be labeled a Negro. To modern ears, both of these terms can be offensive to some people.

So how do you handle something like that in the context of a historical novel? Do I need to include a foreward that gives some background on these terms in their context?

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Angelica - Welcome to historical. There have been other threads here touching on your question - in fact your question has been briefly touched on in the ethical thread that's very active right now.

I think the opinion is that as historical writers we have to be true to the history and use the names and designations that were appropriate at the time. I don't know whether your YA makes any difference in that, but for adult fiction, being accurate in all ways is the way to go. Puma

AngelicaRJackson

Angelic Muse
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thank you for the welcome and reply, and sorry if I duplicated a question. I did not think I was the first one to run across this dilemma, but the searches I ran didn't return what I was looking for. If you know where the threads are, can you post some links if you have some time? Thanks.

And I do lurk on the historical thread, there's some good stuff here.

History_Chick

Registered
Reaction score
Put it in there.

You'd be surprised what teens can handle and what shocks them. As a YA librarian my students read some hardcore stuff.

As for the historical context of a word...use it. It can be used as a tool to discuss what things were like for certain groups back then.

I am currently working on a YA novel set during the American Civil War.

My opening line(which might change) “The Negro’s mind is undeveloped. They are as dumb as animals. Don't you agree, girls?"

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Barbara Hambly uses these terms very well in her Benjamin January mystery series. She just uses them as statements of the culture (1870's New Orleans) and presents them as part of the world and goes on with the story. Since her series has done very well for many years, I have to assume that people didn't take offense by it.

Good luck with your writing.

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
Additionally, when he comes to the States, it seems like he would most likely be labeled a Negro. To modern ears, both of these terms can be offensive to some people.

So how do you handle something like that in the context of a historical novel? Do I need to include a foreward that gives some background on these terms in their context?
Absolutely use authentic historical terms. Unfortunately being called a negro would have been kind. Nigger is probably what a black person would be called in the 1800's - and worse. Yes the terms are offensive to us in this day and age but they were commonplace back then so in order to hold your reader in the time I'd use historically accurate terms. Readers, even young readers, aren't that easily offended. They're more likely to be impatient with the use of politically correct language set in a politically incorrect age.

AngelicaRJackson

Angelic Muse
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Wow, a bunch of replies all at once, thank you everybody. All the research I've done (with the time period as well as how other writers handle it) led me to believe I was handling the terms the right way, but some comments from critique group members made me want to take another look at it.

And since I've gotten a lot of complimentary rejections from agents that say how they love the voice and story---but offer no specific fixes when they pass on it---I had to wonder if the interracial romance and racial terms were an issue. Probably not the only issue, since I've learned that these types of rejections usually mean the writing is just not "there" yet. ;)

But I think that, based on your comments, I'll wait to see if an agent or editor raises a specific concern. Thanks again!

History_Chick

Registered
Reaction score
It seems to me(thoughI might be wrong) those who study history or love historical fiction are more apt to accept terms used in previous centuries.

For those who aren't students of history it might come off as not at all PC, so you may have a point. Maybe the language is hindering you, but I guess there is no way to know that.

Also YA HF is a hard sell. Everything is about the undead now and angels. Its harder for a teen to connect with a girl from 1860 in petticoats and about 1001 restrictions that modern readers find "stupid."

But that hasn't stopped me and it shouldn't stop you! :D

AngelicaRJackson

Angelic Muse
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I've been submitting to agents that rep historical fiction, so hopefully they are familiar with some of the issues inherent with HF.

And my book is inspired by a legend of the Block Island area, of a ghost ship that appears off the coast, so there is a definite paranormal slant. I chose to set it in 1850-1851 since I was a docent at Marshall Gold Discovery State Historic Park and am fairly comfortable with the Gold Rush period.