Actress Brittany Murphy is dead

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
I'm the least chick-flick inclined woman on the planet, but Clueless is one of my favourite films. It's very sad. :(

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Give it 4-7 days and we will know what drugs..
What do we gain by jumping to conclusions? It may have been drugs, it may not have been.

My youngish and apparently healthy cousin died of a sudden heart attack almost two years ago exactly. It wasn't drugs. It was just unexpected heart failure. I'm glad people weren't rumor mongering that he was a druggie while we awaited the autopsy.

Last edited:

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
What do we gain by jumping to conclusions? It may have been drugs, it may not have been.

My youngish and apparently healthy cousin died of a sudden heart attack almost two years ago exactly. It wasn't drugs. It was just unexpected heart failure. I'm glad people weren't rumor mongering that he was a druggie while we awaited the autopsy.

Agreed. Her death is a tragedy. I loved her in the Michael Douglas movie. She looks so thin in recent pics though. :(

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
A lot of diabetics seem to drop dead in the bathroom/shower, usually in the morning because they've been sleeping. It's possible drugs weren't involved.

JamieFord

giving resonant directions
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamieford.com
Might have been an esophageal varices from an eating disorder. She looked Ally McBeal skinny. No matter what it is, it's sad.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Eating disorders (though we're not sure that's what this is) are serious business.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Without knowing more, I do find it unfair to project cause of death.

There are people who still believe Heath Ledger committed suicide or overdosed on illegal drugs because of the early speculation, both of which are untrue.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
My heart goes out to her friends and family. That is a very young age to die. There seems to be a lot of those young deaths going around lately. Far too many in my own community that's for sure.

TerzaRima

Absinthe O'Malice
Registered
Reaction score
"Natural" in this context means that no intention to die was involved--ie they don't think she was murdered or committed suicide.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
There are people who still believe Heath Ledger committed suicide or overdosed on illegal drugs because of the early speculation, both of which are untrue.

Actually, from what we know, Heath Ledger in fact did die from an overdose of "illegally obtained" drugs, as I understand: a cocktail of prescription cold medicines no reputable physician ever would have given him.

Regards Brittany Murphy, she had a reputation for drug use that was well-known in the Hollywood community, to the point that it was satirized on SNL. Frankly, this death strikes me as closely similar to that of Michael Jackson, which also initially was reported as "cardiac arrest", and which we now know by official report was due to a massive overdose of a non-prescribed (and probably illegally-obtained) potent anaesthetic drug, court proceedings pending.

This does nothing to mitigate the tragedy of her death. In fact, if drug use turns out to be true, it ought to generate anger, in addition to grief. Look, they might find, via autopsy, that she had some undiagnosed congenital heart defect, and it killed her. The valedictorian of my high school class, a close friend of mine, a state champion track athlete who got an athletic/academic scholarship to Yale, died of exactly this cause at the age of 21 after a casual round of tennis with a friend just before he was to graduate. It happens, and maybe did so this time. But the signs are disturbing, at best.

caw

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
Regards Brittany Murphy, she had a reputation for drug use that was well-known in the Hollywood community, to the point that it was satirized on SNL.

What was this? I don't remember anything about it. I was only really familiar with Brittany Murphy's work, not her personal life. But I don't remember a skit about this.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
It bothers me that some people believe a drug overdose is something to be ashamed of. It's a sickness, not a life choice. It should be treated as such in life and death.

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
It doesn't matter to me if it was drugs, weight loss, diabetes, or just a bad ticker. It's all sad.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
It bothers me that some people believe a drug overdose is something to be ashamed of. It's a sickness, not a life choice. It should be treated as such in life and death.

Yes, I agree. I would say the same about having an eating disorder. However, I still wouldn't want someone saying that about me if it were not true.