• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Dark Oak Press and Media / Kerlak Enterprises

Ibelong

Do you feel the need?
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone submitted to this publisher? They appear to a small publishing house with a wide variety of genre. I was really curious about their reputation. I went to a writing seminar where the owner was on a panel along with other writers (some best sellers) and a larger (well known) publisher.
I bought several books so I could look at the overall quality of their printed material but other than my own personal observations I haven't seen much information on them.

Any experience or information would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Last edited:

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
Adding link:

http://www.kerlak.com/

They don't have any distribution (check the About Us page). They do have excerpts of some of their books up, so I suggest you read through them and see if you're happy with the editing.

Ibelong

Do you feel the need?
Registered
Reaction score
Adding link:

http://www.kerlak.com/

They don't have any distribution (check the About Us page). They do have excerpts of some of their books up, so I suggest you read through them and see if you're happy with the editing.

Well, like I said, I actually bought a few of the books at the seminar. I am not, by any means an editing expert. Which is why I hired an editor for my manuscript. Personally, I couldn't see a typo unless it practically bit me, but there were things (particularlly in one book) that bothered me. But again, I'm not an expert. The other three books didn't have what I saw in the one (which some may argue was a case of writing style). To me, in those last three, the stories were very generic. But then, I think that about a lot of books out there. The one that I felt had the most editing problems was actually the best story. But again, it could have been style.
And I've only read a few books from them, hardly anything to judge them by. I mean, I've read lots of books from other publishers that I thought were just boring stories or not very good, and those were established, well known publishers...

That's why I was asking for an opinion. I don't know if I'm being difficult or if it's a trend.

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
Personally, I couldn't see a typo unless it practically bit me, but there were things (particularlly in one book) that bothered me. But again, I'm not an expert. The other three books didn't have what I saw in the one (which some may argue was a case of writing style). To me, in those last three, the stories were very generic. But then, I think that about a lot of books out there. The one that I felt had the most editing problems was actually the best story. But again, it could have been style.

Real editing is not just correcting typos. That's a minor part of the process.

My impression of their covers is not positive. It all looks like the standard covers you see on a lot of small POD presses: stock art, bad font choices, poor titles.

This doesn't appear to be a publisher that will sell more than a couple hundred copies of your book.

michael_b

So many ideas, never enough time.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelbarnette.com
For what it's worth, here's my two cents.

The site isn't very reader friendly. There are no excerpts to entice readers into buying and--from my personal experience--when there are no excerpts readers do not buy books.

Their online store is pretty blah looking and didn't get my attention.

And, as noted before, their covers are not very interesting.

There are a lot of small presses out there, it's true, but they are not all created equally. I'd say find one with better covers and a more reader friendly online store, ie one that includes excerpts and much better blurbs.

Ibelong

Do you feel the need?
Registered
Reaction score
You might find this thread to be of interest.

I think maybe I missed something? I saw three posts, one brag, nothing else.
No information, at least nothing hard core.

As for covers.

Yes, I agree. The cover art is blah. But you know what, I have two books on my desk right now from Bantamdell. The cover art is, well to be honest, pathetic. Personally I've noticed a HUGE trend in cover art lately...publishers seem to be going as cheap as they can. And quite often that seems to equal out to, boring, tacky, and very-very unprofessional.
I see this more with Romance books than any other. They even go so far as to recycle covers and think that by changing the color or adding a half picture or different background, you won't notice. I see the same "necking faces" on multiple books. If they aren't the same covers then they seriously need to get some new models.The Sci-fi/Fantasy Genre still seem to have "cover pride" but as for every one else....ick.
I see a few good ones in Urban Fantasy, but not many. Most are very, blah-blah-blah. It just seems to me that they don't want to invest any more than they do, just in case the book doesn't sell.

While I don't think every cover has to be a Larry Elmore, it would be nice for it to at least be original.

ChristineR

What happened?
Registered
Reaction score
Ann Arbor, Michigan. Downtown. Near the Universi
The most interesting thing in that thread is that someone sold to Kerlak--he got money out of them, which implies that they do pay at least some sort of advance. Also, you asked for people who had experience with them, and that thread has at least two people in it who did have some experience. They're probably long gone, but you can always PM them and you might get an answer.

Ibelong

Do you feel the need?
Registered
Reaction score
The most interesting thing in that thread is that someone sold to Kerlak--he got money out of them, which implies that they do pay at least some sort of advance. Also, you asked for people who had experience with them, and that thread has at least two people in it who did have some experience. They're probably long gone, but you can always PM them and you might get an answer.

That I will do (PM them). I sure do wish there were more people with some personal knowledge. Even then, I know that's not always reliable.

para

Registered
Reaction score
You should go to that guy's website and contact him from there as well. He has another book coming out from Kerlack this year.

copperbeech

hienama
Registered
Reaction score
Any recent info on this publisher? The link referenced upthread is dead.
Thanks!

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Which link? Kerlak.com works for me.

That said, their New Release is from Aug '10.

Jamiekswriter

USA Today Bestselling Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jkschmidt.com
Perseid Publishing / Paradise Publishing

Hi all,

Has anyone ever dealt with or heard of Perseid Publishing / Paradise Publishing?

They just put out a great anthology called Lawyers in Hell. Baen was the original publisher of the "In hell" anthologies. But I don't think Perseid is affiliated with Baen.

I believe Janet Morris
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janet_Morris
is the owner.

I was unable to find a website. It's not the ones (I don't believe, anyway) that come up when you type in Paradise Publishing into google. I couldn't get anything concrete so I apologize if my info is vague.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I don't if this helps, but the hardback version of 'Lawyers in Hell' edited by Janet Morris, is listed on Amazon as from Kerlak: http://www.kerlak.com/ Perseid publishes the Kindle and POD and it is the only book they have in Amazon.

Last edited:

Jamiekswriter

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jkschmidt.com
Oh whoops! My bad. I thought Perseid had pubbed it for some reason.
. . . Actually I just re-googled and one of the short story authors listed their story in Lawyers from Hell as being pubbed by Perseid. So either it's a typo or Kerlak is related somehow. Curiouser and Curiouser. Thanks for your help veinglory. If I can get better details I'll post.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
The Kerlak hardback is from 2009, the Perseid e/POD much latter. My best guess would be that it is Morris's personal imprint?

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
From the series Wiki, Perseid Publishing is an imprint of Kerlak Enterprises. The only "Paradise" I find connected to Perseid is Paradise Productions.

Jamiekswriter

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jkschmidt.com
Yeah I was totally thrown. I thought the e-version was new and not a reprint. But I just double checked and it's the same as the 2009 hardcover. No biggie. I actually think it's cool that I missed the 2009 version but caught the e-version.

I'm positive that Perseid is Janet and Chris Morris' own imprint, but I'm still not sure if they're also Kerlak.

Bummer about the distribution.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Ah! Yeah, it looks like it's gone; probably merged into another thread. I'm not finding any other mention of Kerlak on AW, though, so I dunno. :Shrug:

B.C. Brown

Registered
Reaction score
I was approached by this publisher at a recent convention. I was hoping to find any additional or updated information anyone might have on them. There does not seem to be much online, other than their website (which I've found is "under maintenance" about half of the time).

Any help is appreciated.

All the best and BREAK A PEN!
-B.C. Brown ~ Paranormal, Mystery, Romance, & Fantasy
"Because Weird is Good."