Authors meeting their publishers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
Just one more published author (with HarperCollins) saying that no meeting was required in my case, and no "referral" through personal friends accompanied my submission. Nor have I heard that from any of the authors I've met/toured with, or from the editors I've gotten to know at my own house and others. Uprising is allowed to set its own rules, of course, but I would take any suggestion that this is common with a grain of salt. As well as the suggestion that nobody else in publishing has heard of websites, book trailers, facebook, etc.

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
Crazy cat lady here. No referrels, no meetings either. Didn't matter.

If this company is going to rely on an internet strategy, why is their website a 'do it in a hour' basic place holder? Perhaps they need to work out their business plan a bit better before asking for submissions.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Having just shot a scene today for a fellow author's book trailer for her work due out in Jan, I'd say word has got round that youtube is a good venue for publicising books. As to this unique video interview idea . . . check out Harper Collins. They set up just such a thing for their YA authors - they're filmed in a studio in New York.

At any rate, my point is, I don't take issue with a publisher wanting to meet an author, that's a publisher's choice, and it is quite nice to meet people face to face. What's a little bit more troubling about the remarks made in this thread is that they think the idea that somehow using video online is an innovation, and that current publishers aren't aware of its usefulness. This speaks to me of a great ignorance of the industry at present, that combined with the many misconceptions CC highlighted, leads me to wonder what else within the scope of publishing these people are ignorant about.

Not saying they aren't reputable, but I'd ask a lot of questions before signing a contract.

Emily Winslow

Do Not Walk on the Grass
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emilywinslow.com
Thanks for replying, Uprising.

Remember the root of all this was a question about who we are. Our response was essentially "by the time it matters, you'll have met us."

This is awkward for me. If someone wants me to fly across the country for a meeting, I need to know who they are FIRST. (And the things I need to know--before I query actually--can all be communicated in writing, preferably on your website: your past experiences and credits.

We still argue that blanket statements like "nobody does this ever and anyone who says otherwise is a rank amateur" are groundless and have been refuted by some other posters.

Not by me.

This isn't a thread about your company. It was inspired by your meeting requirement, but isn't about your meeting requirement only. I mentioned the value I got from meeting my editor, AFTER the contract was signed and work was in progress, and NOT so that we could judge each other. It was simply an extension of our working relationship which I found pleasant and valuable, but not for the purposes you suggest.

Thanks for sticking around to answer questions and clarify things. I appreciate it.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Uprising, I worked as an editor for a while but never demanded a meeting with a writer before I issued a contract. It's useful, it's nice, and it's interesting to meet up, sure: but it's not necessary and in many cases it's just not possible: consider all those foreign rights sales which are made.

If you want to go ahead with this, then I do think it would be wise for you to spell out on your site that you're going to pay for the meetings--some authors just aren't going to be able to fund such a visit themselves, and probably won't want to submit to you under those circumstances.

Eirin

Likes picnic with roast beef.
Registered
Reaction score
Also, using "crazy cat lady" as a term for the undesirable wasn't the cleverest of moves either. Writers and cats - they kinda go together.

Honestly, don't they know anything

:tongue

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Uprising:
We're a startup publisher founded by veteran software engineers, television producers and online marketing experts focused on developing new fiction and select non-fiction, primarily for digital distribution.

Do any of your founding members have experience in publishing?

Uprising:
Our first set of titles will be released in Summer of 2010.

Your website says Spring 2010. You might want to change that.

Uprising:
Unlike traditional publishers, we also give our authors a much higher percentage of gross sales.

A higher percentage gross of sales that might not happen is no incentive.

Uprising:
We are interested in books stuck in the blind spots of traditional publishing: cross-genre novels, etc. We're especially interested in series that cater to a technically savvy readership such as fantasy and science fiction. We will consider most fiction genres other than horror or erotica and within other genres we have a general aversion to sexually explicit material. We'll consider non-fiction memoir and biography, especially if it's funny. We also have a special place in our heart for political fiction. We're looking for strong literary characteristics in all submissions regardless of genre -- we're not looking for pulp genre novels.

You're spreading yourself thinly, especially if you don't have any established presence or credibility within those genres that you can build from.

Uprising:
We don't want to talk about who we are as individuals because it would more than likely invite further scrutiny of who we are as individuals -- which would more than likely hurt our feelings and I know the nice people on AW don't want that. What you want to know is whether or not we're for real and whether or not we're scam artists.

Who you are as individuals is perfectly pertinent information to request, given that you're making a series of representations about your business. If I was investing money in your business, then I'd want to know your background and experience to delivery on your business plan and investing my book with you is in no way different to that.

Uprising:
To address that issue, all our contracts have rights reversion clauses if we shut our doors or fail to sell a negotiable number of copies or reach a certain revenue target. So, if you sign with us and we can't sell your book or we go out of business, rights will revert back to you.

Realitistically, the big problem with start-ups like yours is bankruptcy and on a bankruptcy, the liquidator/administrator will keep hold of all the assets, i.e. including publication rights, to try and maximise the return for creditors. Your contract might say that authors will get their rights back if you go bust but in practice, they may well find that they get nothing.

Uprising:
The development of viral videos, mini-documentaries about a book's subject matter, video interviews with the writer are absolutely crucial to our marketing strategy and as extra content for rich mobile editions.

According to your research, how many book buyers buy a book on the strength of an internet video or interview?

Uprising:
Jeff Bezos (the CEO of Amazon) recently told his employees that Amazon has sold 48 Kindle editions for every 100 print editions sold this holiday season. (Someone told us this in the elevator at Amazon, so consider the source.)

What source? You spoke to someone at an elevator at Amazon. You could have been speaking to a cleaner for all I know. What Bezos tells his employees and what he tells the market are two different things and me, I trust what he goes public about.

Uprising:
Although we do not release books on hardcover (we think the $25 price point turns too many people away and makes it difficult to launch new authors), all books will be released on trade paperback.

Are you publishing by POD or are you doing print-runs? If it's the former, you're going to find it difficult to get books into stores, if the latter then you're increasing your storage costs and taking a bigger risk that your strategy doesn't work.

Uprising:
Let's take membership in the SFWA as an example. You haven't sold a legitimate book unless the publisher is on a predefined list. That's a pretty clear cut example of the game being rigged against startups. Many reviewing publications have a similar list of "legitimate" publishers. I think dropping this barrier would invite in all the self-published crazies, so I understand why it's necessary. I'm just saying there is a barrier and it has a concrete impact on PR and marketing strategies, particularly until our name gets on those lists.

Not at all. SFWA is an organsation for authors, not publishers - like CWA and RWA - it exists to protect published authors. Once you establish yourself, you can apply for membership.

Uprising:
If writers were our target clientele, we'd publish books about writing. Writers may overlap with our target market, but not in a way that's statistically significant.

That seems to be a very foolish statement to make in an on-line forum, populated with web-savvy people who are in an excellent position to participate in or work against whatever web-based viral campaign you try to set up. I'll certainly bear your comments in mind should I see anyone advertising your company or your books in any of the communities I frequent.

Uprising:
Never mind that relentlessly clinging to doing things the way they've always been done is precisely the kind of arrogance and complacency that's created the opportunity, but you take my point.

It's only an opportunity if you're still here in 2 years time to talk about how you were able to make it work for you. At the moment, it's a gamble.

Uprising:
What we think will be a trend -- and is already a trend -- is an emphasis on viral marketing and social networking to launch new writers.

Except that you cannot control viral marketing or social networking - all you can do is put something out there and hope that enough people talk about it for it to catch fire. Then you need to have something in place so that people can readily and easily buy the book once people are talking about it. Do you have distribution in place so that people can walk into a store and connect the book on the shelf with the book that people are talking about, or are you operating an order-only distribution policy (because if it's the latter, you'll find that people will lose interest at the idea of having to wait for something).

MM

Last edited:

Eirin

Registered
Reaction score
I remain unconvinced of the value of extensive author involvment in marketing; I have no belief whatsoever in branding and selling the author as a means to sell books. As a reader, I'm interested in the book. A good book-trailer might entice me to check out an excerpt; a video-interview with the author wouldn't interest me at all. YMMV.

As a reader, I don't use all the "brave new internet-world" gimmicks that's supposedly The New Way To Sell Everything. I subscribe to newsletters from publishers I trust, I follow review-blogs that have shown themselves to share my taste in books and also maintain interesting communities, and I have all the authors whose work I might be interested in buying on Google Alert.

I don't hang out on YouTube in order to catch interview-snippets wih authors, most viral marketing annoys me, and astro-turfing really pisses me off.

If I read a book that moves me in some way, I might be interested in reading an interview where the author talks about her motivation for writing that specific book, but unless the author is a friend , I have no particular interest in her as a person.

Sometimes I even find myself curiously annoyed when my favorite authors waste their time doing promotion rather than spend their time writing new books for me to read ;)

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Eirin:
I have no belief whatsoever in branding and selling the author as a means to sell books. As a reader, I'm interested in the book. A good book-trailer might entice me to check out an excerpt; a video-interview with the author wouldn't interest me at all.

I agree with this. I will buy books on the recommendations of friends/reviewers I trust or having browsed the contents on the shelves of my local book store, but I don't go out looking for promotional material for books that I haven't already heard of.

In fact, I don't tend to check out interviews etc unless I've already read the book, enjoyed it and want to know more about the author.

MM

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Except that you cannot control viral marketing or social networking - all you can do is put something out there and hope that enough people talk about it for it to catch fire. Then you need to have something in place so that people can readily and easily buy the book once people are talking about it. Do you have distribution in place so that people can walk into a store and connect the book on the shelf with the book that people are talking about, or are you operating an order-only distribution policy (because if it's the latter, you'll find that people will lose interest at the idea of having to wait for something).
This.

I'm on a couple social networking and video sharing sites. I have some keywords I look for on the video sites, and occasionally check some of the links friends post on the networking. If you (generic you) don't post something within those parameters I look in, how am I going to know you exist?

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Do any of your founding members have experience in publishing? <snipped>

I don't think you'll get an answer to your questions any time soon, they have officially flounced in the background thread. It seems like it'll be a check in next year and see where they're standing sort of deal.

Eirin

Registered
Reaction score
Losing their temper and flouncing ... tsk tsk. Do we need a face-to-face interview to gauge the level of professionalism?

What's that word, again? Rhymes with virony.

Eirin

Registered
Reaction score
If you (generic you) don't post something within those parameters I look in, how am I going to know you exist?

Precisely.

This isn't a new problem, though. Achieving visibility has always been the trick for selling anything. I think much of the reasoning behind the "authors must promote-promote-promote" meme is because now they can.

Before the internet equalized public access in many ways, the publishers were the ones with the means to perform meaningful marketing and promotion. With the internet, everybody and their grandmothers can put themselves out there, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the marketing/promotional strategies most likely to work have changed in any significant way.

Nor does it mean that it's a good idea to rely on writers, rather than marketing professionals, to market and sell books. Being a great salesperson requires knowledge of the industry and a specific set of skills. It's not an entry level position, or something one does in one's spare time.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
After reading the original thread in the paying markets section, all I can think is: Harper Lee (To Kill A Mockingbird) would never have been published if she had to submit to being videotaped to see if she had the wherewithall to sell her book.

Great books will sell on their own merits. An author can help it along, but it's compelling writing that counts first and foremost.

Slushie

Custom User Title
Registered
Reaction score
Dragging this out even further: I wouldn't trust a company to market my product if they can't effectively and articulately market themselves; that's the core of my issue with all this. Actions carry more weight than words and a lot can be read by what is implied.

I doubt uprising will log in again, but I'd bet they're lurking and hopefully this thread has provided them with some constructive insight. I hope they are successful, and their success comes from improving the careers of writers; a reality check might be in order for that to happen, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.