Garrison Keillor...

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Like I said, I attend sometimes. Not often. I'm usually there just for something specific, like to see a friend sing or for another friend's send off (he was a soldier going to Iraq) or for services that have a connection to GLBTQ causes. Things like that. I've heard some good sermons about community, for example, which I enjoyed. I appreciate the service and feel perfectly comfortable telling people there that I'm an atheist, but I don't get anything out of it in the way I think you mean.

O.K. Thanks for your reply, Lyv. . . .

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
in much the same way that during the national anthem, some people wonder if their team will win, some think about blowing shit up and others wonder if the chick's boob will pop out when she hits that high note...

it, like, brings us all together...

I've always wanted someone singing the national anthem in Atlanta before a ballgame to sing the last line as "the home of the Braves."

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
growing up with the daily games on TBS in the days when it ruled cable, i often thought the same thing...

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I've always wanted someone singing the national anthem in Atlanta before a ballgame to sing the last line as "the home of the Braves."

We did in Milwaukee.

Well, I still don't know who this Keillor guy is or why I should give a fuck what he says, but I find it hilarious that he talks about "spiritual piracy" as if Christians weren't at least equally guilty of same. Hoo, boy. Kills me.

He wrote some radio show called A Prairie Home Companion several decades ago on Minnesota Public Radio.

But that's ok, I don't know what a unitarian is.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
Post moar image macros plz.

wat.gif

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
...but I find it hilarious that he talks about "spiritual piracy" as if Christians weren't at least equally guilty of same. Hoo, boy. Kills me.

Yeah, I wonder which parts of Christmas are sanctioned by Mr. Keillor. I hope he has the full notes on each tradition he'll let us use.

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have to admit, I really like Garrison. I started appreciating him about a year ago, and all the characters involved in Lake Wobegone. . . LOL!!

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com

That's how my Darling Bride, a southern belle from just south of Atlanta, sings it. :)

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
I've enjoyed many of Keillor's radio shows over the years and often thought him quite witty, but there seems to be a bit more acid than usual in the OP's link. I can only aspire to a position where I am well-paid for ranting. I have to agree with his distaste for massaged lyrics, tho, especially if done under the guise of religious correctness. I guess it would be like biting into a Big Mac only to discover that Vegans bought out the franchise and what you expected to be 100% Pure Beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese on a sesame seed bun is soy bugers with a suspect sauce, lettuce, tofutti on a gluten-free bun.

Gregg

Life is good
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm. Keillor is just recovering from a stroke, isn't he? This does seem a bit off for him.

ETA - yeah, it was in late September.

Maybe, but his movie (2006) was rather dark. I didn't like it. It certainly wasn't warm and cozy.

Weird that many have demeaned Christmas - no "Christmas" trees at school, "holiday" parties - almost like the governments are afraid to acknowledge Christmas.
But it is a huge driver of our economy - without it lots of retails stores would fail.
Yet the government acknowledges Christmas as a national holiday - unlike most other religious days.

Why not live and let live?

Death Wizard

Tumhe na koci puujetha
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.deathwizardchronicles.blogspot.com
I've enjoyed many of Keillor's radio shows over the years and often thought him quite witty, but there seems to be a bit more acid than usual in the OP's link. I can only aspire to a position where I am well-paid for ranting. I have to agree with his distaste for massaged lyrics, tho, especially if done under the guise of religious correctness. I guess it would be like biting into a Big Mac only to discover that Vegans bought out the franchise and what you expected to be 100% Pure Beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese on a sesame seed bun is soy bugers with a suspect sauce, lettuce, tofutti on a gluten-free bun.

Soy burgers are awesome!

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
I've enjoyed many of Keillor's radio shows over the years and often thought him quite witty, but there seems to be a bit more acid than usual in the OP's link. I can only aspire to a position where I am well-paid for ranting. I have to agree with his distaste for massaged lyrics, tho, especially if done under the guise of religious correctness.

Keillor complained about secular Christmas songs, but only those written by Jews. He either doesn't know there are popular secular Christmas songs written by Christians or he's fine with those.

He also says this:
Christmas is a Christian holiday - if you're not in the club, then buzz off. Celebrate Yule instead or dance around in druid robes for the solstice. Go light a big log, go wassailing and falalaing until you fall down, eat figgy pudding until you puke, but don't mess with the Messiah.
Actually, he's got one thing right; this is the correct time of year to celebrate Yule. The birth of Jesus? Not so much. December 25th was chosen for Christmas specifically to capitalize on the popularity of pagan festivals.