Student Refuses To Study Bible As Literature

in my opinion:

• Total voters

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think that's about your third date in the last week. Why don't you two get a room?
Because we like company and you're playing hard to get. . . .

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
Suppose a student is a dedicated liberal - does that mean he can opt out of reading Sarah Palin's book if assigned as a current events topic?

I would honestly hope that Sarah Palin's book would not be assigned in schools. I can think of much more worthwhile ways to study current events.

I don't know for sure, but considering that the school was able to find a suitable alternative, I would assume that this is probably the first time the kid has had an issue like this. It happens once in a while, and I think it can be easily dealt with, without worrying about slippery slopes.

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
I recall reading the Bible as literature in high school and college. I also had to read other books--some I found too dull to remember once the tests were done. I also had to do things I found disturbing like dissecting cats in A&P. (We named ours Kitty Kadaver and had a funeral for her after the course ended).

I did whatever was required for the courses, whether I liked it or not. When students get out into the real world there will be plenty of things they have to do that they may not like in order to get along in life. No one's going to cater to each person's personal preferences in everything.

The kid should suck it up and do the assignment or take the F and not whine. He brought it on himself.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Um...

Am I the only one who found the Bible boring? Like...really really really boring? As a work of fiction, its kinda lame, and I can't really say for it as a work of spiritual literature because I invest all my spiritual feelings into hope about the future and optimistic sci-fi, so reading the Bible as a spiritual book sorta failed.

But I still *read* the assigned passages and wrote the paper required.

Because...um...sometimes, you have to do unpleasant things in life. I mean, I'd enjoy lounging around playing video games and having sex all my life, but I kinda have to work and make money and all those other things required to...not...starve to death in this modern world.

So, I'm thinking this kid just wanted to weasel out of reading a dull as hell book.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
Like Medievalist said. If you don't study the bible, western history up until at least the 1960s will be more or less incomprehensible.

Now, I'm awoved atheist, so I don't want the bible, the torah or the koran to be used in any kind of political framework, or it sure as hell shouldn't be rammed down kids throats as a moral basis.

But we have the history we have, and these books are important works in that history. So, of course they should be studied. Even in a compulsory way.

Atlantis

Registered
Reaction score
I think its good that he stood up for his beliefs. I'm a Druid. My parents and sister are Christians but the rest of my family are non religious. When my parents and sister start acting religious or talking about religion around the rest of my siblings we don't like it. We find it arkward and uncomfortable because we don't share their beliefs. When they start talking about it the conversation always ends in arkward silence. No student should have to be exposed to religious texts if it makes them uncomfortable. I hate it when my parents try to convince me to go to church or talk about God cause it makes me feel like the odd one out cause I don't share their beliefs or understand them. Its hard to be non religious kid with religious parents. I wouldn't want to study the bible for school. I would complain as well. Its got nothing to do with wanting to get out of studying. Its about personal beliefs.

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not going to argue with you and I'm done with this forum but as my initial post stated: I object to forcing/requiring students to STUDY the Bible / religious texts as part of a Lit curriculum. Did I say anything about referring to them? Nope. I merely stated that I feel required religious text study is best handled under the comparative religion umbrella wherein ALL texts are given equal review/study. That's all. I said I don't support including said texts as part of an official English Lit curriculum--and I'm talking public HIGH SCHOOL here as in the OP (just to clarify). Making a reference to a Biblical passage, Buddhist writings or the Koran while analyzing a work of literature is something else entirely. The OP -- as I read the articles -- stated that the student was required to read BIBLE passages (only) as part of his curriculum. That was my objection.

Enough said. I'm done.

ETA: Wwwaayyyy back when I was in AP English, numerous works were listed as references to any given assignment. It was up to the AP / Honors student to review (and identify) these texts--and additional texts--and having done so adequately was often reflected in your grade...........

On that note: how can one teach Christianity---and the Bible---without mentioning the pagan myths and customs upon which it's based??

How on Earth can one teach Paradise Lost without reference to the OT, the NT, and Augustine--as well as the Illiad, Donne, Shakespeare, and Herodotus?

How on Earth can I possibly teach Beowulf without pointing out that the scribe has incorporated bits of mythology from Genesis?

How can I teach the Old English Genesis B--a retelling of Genesis, wherein Satan becomes an Anglo-Saxon leader of a war-band, and Hell is filled with icy cold water, and Eve was not behaving out of original sin, but is a disloyal thane--without discussing the original context?

How can I talk about seventeenth century prose evolution without talking about the influence of the 1611 bible, and the way that the translators turns of phrase affected English prose style permanently?

The Bible, like the Illiad, the Odyssey, and oh, five or so other works, were so deeply integrated into the educational system from about 1600 on that writers knew them like we know commercial jingles.

Not to mention the fact that the Bible as Literature is not only offered by most undergraduate English departments offering a B.A., it's required--along with courses in mythology--by most of them.
THIS IS UNIVERSITY/COLLEGE, not Public High School as with the OP... :)

Last edited:

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
Um...

Am I the only one who found the Bible boring? Like...really really really boring? As a work of fiction, its kinda lame, and I can't really say for it as a work of spiritual literature because I invest all my spiritual feelings into hope about the future and optimistic sci-fi, so reading the Bible as a spiritual book sorta failed.
No. Not only is the bible boring, but it isn't particularly well written, and otherwise decent writers have been doing bad imitations of it ever since.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
But on the other hand, Homeworld is essentially an inverted story of Exodus in space crossed with Battlestar Galactica, so without the Bible, while we might have Homeworld, it would not have the Garden of Kadesh level which is the most obvious biblical allusion.

Which would actually have made the game a thousand times easier cause, goddamn, the Kadehsians were HARD.