Happy Thanksgiving

AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: [Agent/Publisher] Wesley Cudrow

practical experience, FTW JulesKD's Avatar

[Agent/Publisher] Wesley Cudrow

Has anyone heard of this agent? I got a message from him off AgentQuery requesting the first two chapters and a 3 page synopsis. I'm of course very excited, and I sure don't want to offend anyone, but I don't see him listed anywhere. Not on QueryTracker, not on Google and I even searched him out here and found nothing. He lists himself as a literary agent and publisher over at AgentQuery. And it's a little weird because he seems to want to represent everything, even sci fi (*gasp!*) and he lists his location as everywhere in all creation. He says:

About Me

I seek the best of the best for the best deals...
    I Am Looking For

offering the best deal an emerging writer can ever imagine but first, you must have what i need in your writing skills.
    My Preferences

as long as your writing is good, i'll come on as much as need be.

What do you guys think? I definitely don't want to put anyone off if this guy is legit and any good! Who wants to blow that chance, if it comes along? But I'm a little sketched out that I can't find him anywhere else. Does it sound dodgy at all?

Yeah, I'm a noob. But my spider sense is tingling screaming.

Jules
    "This is the kind of mind-numbing schlock that's turning our society into a cultural wasteland! This isn't art! This isn't even entertainment! This...blows!"

-Lois Griffin

but appreciated anyway... Unimportant's Avatar
    I can't even find him on agentquery. Can you give the link? Or check the name spelling?

Quote Originally Posted by JulesKD View Post
    What do you guys think? I definitely don't want to put anyone off if this guy is legit and any good! Who wants to blow that chance, if it comes along? But I'm a little sketched out that I can't find him anywhere else. Does it sound dodgy at all?
    That's a new one. There are plenty of people who try to be an agent with no experience, but it's unusual to have one who doesn't appear to exist as a person.

Yes, it sounds dodgy. I'd ignore the request for now and wait and see what happens. I noticed there was a discussion on Agentquery about it (and I assume you're not the thread starter, but even if you are, others might want the link).

http://agentquery.leveragesoftware.c...d09935e3743dca
    * Polenth *

Website | Blog / Send Review Requests | Twitter
    Sunstruck - Bigfoot Urban Fantasy Novel

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    Are you sure of the spelling?

General principles:

A useful agent has sold books you've heard of.

There is no such thing as a stealth agent or a stealth publisher.

Thanks very much for that link, Polenth. Nope, I didn't start that thread, but it's the same exact PM I got from him yesterday.

If there was some dude preying on people's hopes, I'd be pretty peeved.

What would someone do wiht a three page synopsis and the first two chapters? What would be the point?

Jules
    "This is the kind of mind-numbing schlock that's turning our society into a cultural wasteland! This isn't art! This isn't even entertainment! This...blows!"

-Lois Griffin

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Ah, this was through AgentConnect, not the main AgentQuery site. Has anyone asked the AC folks about him? More generally, do they have any fact-check before allowing people to sign up as agents, etc.?
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Absolutely Fazed
    He lists himself as both an agent and a publisher? Methinks he's going to steer writers toward a vanity POD he has set up.

His grammatical skills are a bit suspect, too.

Update, this guy had sent PMs to lots of people. I just read in the thread that he got chucked off AQ. So, yay to that, boo to him having a go at us in the first place.

Jules

-Lois Griffin

i'll come on as much as need be.
    Will you now?

Go on, tell me I'm not the only one who blinked a couple of times at that phrasing. Not a good sign if you're trying to claim to be an agent!

Hungry? Check out my other half's blog Colonel Mustard in the Kitchen.

Quote Originally Posted by nkkingston View Post
    i'll come on as much as need be.
    Will you now?

Go on, tell me I'm not the only one who blinked a couple of times at that phrasing. Not a good sign if you're trying to claim to be an agent!
    Unless he wrote precisely what he meant. Imagine the flurry of TRO's clogging up the NYC courts! Bletch.
    Moral of the story: Soy yogurt is evil and don't cross picketlines. -Twizzle

practical experience, FTW aSilverRing's Avatar
    I got a "suggestion" to make him my friend, too, and was immediately wary, thanks to all the horror stories I've read. I think it's awesome that we're all so suspect of charlatans. It's a wonder to me that any of them can still make a dishonest living.

And yes, quite glad I didn't get anywhere near far enough to make him, well, yeah, nevermind...;-)
    WIP: A Silver Ring - novel - 25 queries rejected, 1 partial rejected

WIP: A Shimmering Light - memoir - 35 queries, 8 rejects

www.writingtakesflight.com
    http://nathancarriker.blogspot.com

How do you tell your date with a pilot's half over?
    He ends
    an hour of excruciating monologue with "Enough about me; let's talk about flying!"

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Here is his page on AQ. Says he's only been there since Dec 09...
    http://agentquery.leveragesoftware.c...f326ae3c3b78a4

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    A year later, that remains the only mention of him.

And I suppose I should mention his photo is actually that of OSHA nominee David Micheals. (e.g., http://www.inthesetimes.com/working/..._osha_nominee/).
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: