Very bad idea for a picture book?

BlueDimity

Registered
Reaction score
Okay so, I want to write a PB, not just a short story but a PB. I want to write a picture book that is a bit sacry. Not too scary but scary like old fariy tales are. Would that be a bad idea?

And, second question: with writing short stories (like the Broken Mirror which was 88 pages long for YA. Great book, btw), is it harder to get an agent with a MS that size? I'm asking because I would love to write a book that size at some point in my life.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Go to the library and look at the recent picture books there to get an idea of how scary you can get.

BlueDimity

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. And your story Darling Boys & the Raver Faeries of Kensington Gardens, sounds like something I would want to read. Is it a short story?

AryaT92

Banned
Reaction score
Hanzel and Gretel scared me to death back in the day.. We need more of those :) I say go for it!

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Lots of kids love to be scared. Most of their parents, however, do not love to deal with the kids after they've been scared. So a scary PB would have to be done very, very carefully. The Grimms' fairy tales tend to be cleaned up quite a bit for the modern audience.

That's not to say it can't be done. Only that it has to be done carefully. As Kitty Pryde already advised: Go to the library and read about 200 books, only ones that have been published in the last 10 years. That will answer a lot of your questions.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. And your story Darling Boys & the Raver Faeries of Kensington Gardens, sounds like something I would want to read. Is it a short story?

It's a young adult novel that is not quite finished yet :D

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Two recent scary(ish) picture books: YUMMY by Lucy Cousins and JIM by Hilaire Belloc and Mini Grey. YUMMY is a collection of fairy tales which are a little scary - there are child-eating wolves etc - but Cousins' art makes it work. JIM is a good old cautionary tale in which a boy is eaten by a lion, but the black humour is pitched just right and the art is gorgeous.

charlotte49ers

let it snow
Registered
Reaction score
Go for it. My 3rd graders are obsessed with Goosebumps, but they are above most of their reading levels, so I think they would really like scary-ish picture books.