• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

The Bookworm Literary Group (Phyllis Jager)

Sandra1950

I've had a request for a manuscript from the Bookworm Literary Agency...has anyone heard anything about them. I found them at the "anotherrealm" site, but can't find anything about them on the web. Do they have a website?

Sandra1950

The Bookworm Literary Group

Does anyone know what happened to Suzanne Hoos of Bright Lights Associates?
I was working with her two years ago, and she seems to have disappeared off the planet..
I'm also trying to find out if Bookworm Literary Group is legit...I got an email from a Phyllis Jager who wants to see a manuscript, but I can't find a site for her.

JerseyGirl1962

I heart Malamutes! :-)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sandra,

Found this on Preditors and Editors:

Bright Lights Associates/Literary Group: a literary agency. 2/18/05: a writer reports this agency is defunct. Not verified.

That's about all I could find on Bright Lights.

As for Bookworm, couldn't find much on them, either. The most I found was something on Preditors and Editors:

http://invirtuo.cc/prededitors/pealb.htm

Just scroll down the page. There's a paragraph on what they're looking for, which is nice, and also that they don't charge fees, blah, blah, blah. They don't seem to have a website, only an email addy. And they only list a post office box as an address.

Which means they might be legit, might not. Listing just a p.o. box sounds a bit fishy to me, but that might just be me. Anyway, as I couldn't find much on either of these two, I think I'd pass.

Dave and Victoria, feel free to jump in here with anything you might have.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help to you, Sandra. Good luck!

~Nancy

Sandra1950

Thanks

Thanks Nancy,
I've had a strange feeling about Bookworm. If they don't have a website, it's hard to know anything about the company...
It's just so frustrating to try and find an agent who is legit...

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
Sandra1950 said:
I've had a strange feeling about Bookworm. If they don't have a website, it's hard to know anything about the company...
The way to look at agents is this: they have to be good enough to be put on your list, not proven bad enough to cross off it.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
JerseyGirl1962 said:
As for Bookworm, couldn't find much on them, either. The most I found was something on Preditors and Editors:

http://invirtuo.cc/prededitors/pealb.htm

Just scroll down the page. There's a paragraph on what they're looking for, which is nice, and also that they don't charge fees, blah, blah, blah.
What's important about this paragraph (and I suspect this is why Dave posted it in its entirety) isn't what it says about the agency's practices and procedures, but that it's barely literate. It's poorly written, and there are spelling errors and grammatical mistakes. It also refers to "the usual and customary 10%" commission, when in fact, "usual and customary" for book agents is 15%. Do you want an agent who can't write decent English and isn't aware of the going commission rate?

- Victoria

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
victoriastrauss said:
What's important about this paragraph (and I suspect this is why Dave posted it in its entirety) isn't what it says about the agency's practices and procedures, but that it's barely literate. It's poorly written, and there are spelling errors and grammatical mistakes. It also refers to "the usual and customary 10%" commission, when in fact, "usual and customary" for book agents is 15%. Do you want an agent who can't write decent English and isn't aware of the going commission rate?
Last I heard, Kay McCauley (Kirby McCauley's sister, business partner, and fellow agent) was still charging 10%, for old clients at least, and she's as legitimate as they come. Jane Lindskold and George R. R. Martin are both her clients, as are many others. She's a darned good agent.

I take your point all the same. Someone who's charging 10% and calling it "usual and customary" is probably getting her ideas from old books and movies, rather than from modern business practice. I'd still be more inclined to damn a soi-disant agent for being barely literate and barely visible.

At the risk of seeming repetitive, let me repeat a basic principle (though not to you, Victoria; you already know it perfectly well): if you can't find out any information about an agent or a publisher, don't take up with them. If they're doing what they're supposed to be doing, they ought not be invisible.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Sandra1950 said:
I found them at the "anotherrealm" site, but can't find anything about them on the web.

Did you mean the anotherealm.com site, or the anotherrealm.com site?

The first (one "r") is where you'll find Dave's "Preditors & Editors." The second (two "r"s), is a scam site that guides you to fake agents, vanity presses, and assorted other scams. (Even though they have the trademarked "Preditors and Editors" on it as a link.)

Flipshot

Good experience

i dont know about suzanne although it is interesting to learn these little things. but i do have a contract with bookworm. they have represented me for six months now. i have been really happy and cant complain. they have never charged me any money and always done a good job. they havent even charged for mailing. they call personally. i thought the post office box was a little strange at the start but then i found out that it was just a mailing address. i think they are in nyc. they really have done great by me though. i hope this helps some.

cara

BudJay

Registered
Reaction score
Flipshot said:
i dont know about suzanne although it is interesting to learn these little things. but i do have a contract with bookworm. they have represented me for six months now. i have been really happy and cant complain. they have never charged me any money and always done a good job. they havent even charged for mailing. they call personally. i thought the post office box was a little strange at the start but then i found out that it was just a mailing address. i think they are in nyc. they really have done great by me though. i hope this helps some.

cara

do you think it'd be worthwhile to try and submit to them in that case? i mean, how efficant are they? do they get their work done or do they just bind you with a contract and then sleep on you?

Torin

Wandering vaguely
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cebarrett.com
Flipshot said:

cara

But have they sold your book to a publisher? It doesn't matter how sweet and kind they are, if they can't sell your manuscript.

Flipshot

Hi all

I'm just sayin that the one agent did get me some leads, a contract that led to a small advance and has sent out my work all over the place. I was and am very happy with them. Then there was the other half witted company, publish america, i went with just beforehand and god am I sorry. Either I stink really bad as a writer or they stink as huuman beings. I'm thinking the later. I like bookworm and my dealings with phyillis jager so far. I wish things moved a lot faster and god could i really use the money. Last year my husband was really injured in a car accident and has not been able to work consistantly. So a little sunshine would be nice but I have met with many publishers and industry executives thanks to them. I also found a company called jackson publishing I think it was. does anyone know anything about it? I sent them my work. Two manuscripts in fact and they keep telling my work is great but they want money. They put it in a way where they tell me its because my work should be properly represented in the manner it deserves. I think, well, if it was all that good and deserved all thatmuch then someone would come around and snatch it up not ask to be paid to read it. I guess its just every writers plight to endure mass amounts of publishing nonsense before getting to the top. Riddle me this: will any of us ever get to the top?

Flipshot

Sorry Torin

Sorry, I just posted before noticing you took the time to respond to me. here's whats going on. They did have offers to show me on one of the manuscriptsI sent them but told me we may be able to do a little better even for a first script. I dont know. They say to give it a few months and that it takes weeks and sometimes months for these big publishing houses to get around to reading work submitted even by agents. WhenI get the monthly list of all the efforts made and money they have laid out with reciept proofs that the work is being done, I cant complain because I figured who would go to the trouble and expense for no reason? Anyway, its the closest I have ever come to any one even half legitimate doing anything for me without asking me for any money. Thanks for reading, responding and pointing that out though. We'll see where we end up I guess. I just want so badly to be a successful writer with fans and a family who is proud of me.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Flipshot, if you have a question or comment about a specific publisher or agent, check the Index here at Bewares to see if there's already a thread on that publisher or agent. Then post your question or comment there. If there isn't already a thread, start a new one. One publisher or agent per thread, please.

- Victoria

nicolesingslave

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nicolesingslave.buzznet.com
http://anotherealm.com/prededitors/pealb.htm
Bookworm Literary Group, The: "We are currently accepting submissions in the following genres:Suspense thriller, Thriller, Historical Fiction, Romance, Romantic Comedy, Childrens Fantasy, Mystery, Self-Help, How-To, Horror and welcome additional querries as to the occassional odd ball genre.
"What we do not accept is Western, Sci-Fi, Sexually explecit material, and material otherwise derrogatory to any specific race, religion, and or other target.
"We are also accepting screenplays in the same categories as the genres outlined hereforth. Additionally, it shall be made clear that The Bookworm Literary Group does NOT EVER charge any reading fee whatsoever! We do not charge for editorial services or affiliate ourselves with any inhouse editors whatsoever. We do charge the usual and customary 10% of the gross monatery agreement. The Bookworm Literary Group will not add additional charges supplied only in fine print in order to lure the unsuspecting writer into a trap he or she will only wish they had never encountered. If charges for excessive copies and or manuscript mailings should be incurred, The Bookworm literary Group shall send an invoice to the client (at time of sale or contract termination--editor, P&E) and allow a generous billing period such as 25-30 days in order to recieve payment. Should monies become past due, The Bookworm Literary Group shall give notice that services may be interrupted until payment is recieved, however we will not cancell any contract until such time as an invoive has become six months past due or greater.
"We take calls personally and give the personal attention each client needs and well deserves.
We make known to all clients each and every offer that comes in, even if we think it's ridiculous!
"We will always accept querries by e-mail if the content is included in the body of the e-mail. WE DO NOT ACCEPT ATTACHMENTS unless we have invited it."
Contact at:
P.O. Box #687
Parksville, New York 12768
Telephone 1.866.4Bookworm

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Five years since the OP and no new information. I call inactive. :cool: