Market for Space Opera/Space Fantasy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
Okay, let me clarify, since I don't want to give the impression that I judged it without knowing what it was. I know a great deal about Robotech in all it's various forms, and I was just curious as to which of those various canon and sub-canon we were considering in the discussion. I used to be quite a fan, but know I simply have a fond remembrance of it.

Robotech the "original" series would qualify loosely under space opera, although it's more of a space mecha series in technical terms. So while the creators of the new battlestar may have been somewhat familiar with the series, I doubt it was a major influence.

Straka

Bored Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
danstraka.blogspot.com
Trick with Robotech is the Japanesse version was completely different. The US version is a splicing of three different shows as I remember.

I would considered the Battletech books space opera... there certainly were enough of them. Also the Warhammer 40K books, though I've not read them.

Genre aside, BSG I found to be a character driven piece for the first 3 seasons. After that it becomes more plot drive, and my interest in it started to wane.

Last edited:

Me&BacchusGoIntoABar

Registered
Reaction score
Genre aside, BSG I found to be a character driven piece for the first 3 seasons. After that it becomes more plot drive, and my interest in it started to wane.

That's interesting. I think my attention waned around the same time (I'm four episodes away from finishing the final season 4.5), but I hadn't thought of that as an explanation for it. The plot certainly did take over a lot of things towards the end of the series (who are the secret cylons, etc.), and they had to wrap up a lot of those loose ends that they created early on.

One thing that did make it less character-driven from that point IMO is that anyone who turned out to be a secret cylon didn't tend to have as much depth from that point on. Their growth as a character was for the most part totally stunted.

I'm glad Gaeda got a dramatic conclusion; he was one of my faves. I'm still looking forward to seeing what the heck is going on with Starbuck, though. Four more episodes for me ... no spoilers! :tongue

Status
Not open for further replies.