There goes my Christmas then...

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
I'd wait and see. I heard on the news this morning BA are considering legal action to stop the strike, and BA staff have a history of threatening to strike and then not actually going through with it.

I hope you get home.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
It's a mad strike. BA is bleeding buckets, and can't compete with Virgin and those cheap carriers, so to save the jobs costs have to be cut.

Oh well... I just hate flying Ryan Air. They drop you off 50-60km away from the city, and communications are pretty bad.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
British Airways lost £401m in the last financial year, and is set to lose even more in the current year. Its losses are thought to be around £1,000 per minute. BA announced earlier in the day that its pension fund deficit had increased by 75 per cent in the past three years to £3.7bn.

The board believes that unless they can substantially reduce staff costs – which are far higher than its rivals – BA does not have a sustainable future. One source close to the company said it could not back down and would "fight to the death".

Some members of cabin crew were alarmed by the "nuclear option" that the unions had adopted. The ballot merely asked: "Are you in favour of industrial action?" and many were surprised it had chosen such extreme tactics.
Isn't this a classic case of biting the hand that feeds you? Apparently the other lines pay far less for similar jobs; what's to be accomplished by striking?

Kilawher

Chronic Semicolon Overuser
Registered
Reaction score
I just about screamed when I saw this. I'm doing a semester abroad in France, and BA already mucked up my flight here (had us sitting on the plane for six hours at the airport, then taking us off and delaying the flight 24 hours, then coming back the next day and finding out that the delayed flight was delayed AGAIN for several hours... with a hundred dollar, non-retroactive travel credit as compensation. Gee thanks, that doesn't even cover the 50 euro cab ride I had to take because I missed my orientation bus...) and now this! Aaaaaargh. Never flying British Airways again.

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
When I go to France I get the train to London then the Eurostar. Much less stressful. :) (But then I've never been delayed!)

Nadia

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nadialee.net
Isn't this a classic case of biting the hand that feeds you? Apparently the other lines pay far less for similar jobs; what's to be accomplished by striking?

To show the union power?

BA's UNITE is one of the most powerful unions in England, probably in Europe, from what I read.

Nadia

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nadialee.net

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Yes, pity me. I'm facing the christmas pudding, after all.

I suggest drowning it in brandy.
what's to be accomplished by striking?
The union wasn't exactly all above board...as said many who voted didn't realise the extent of the proposed action. They were told 'BA want to cut your wages by 30%, strike, yes or no?'

Still, that sucks Max.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I'm so sorry. At least there are hot Polish flight attendants on Ryanair ;)

And actually, I always had great luck with Ryanair. Best of luck!

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
There are?

Hmmm... sod Eurostar. :D

Hee hee :D May I recommend London to Tours via Ryanair (whose schedules tend to be better, too)? Hot Polish flight attendants, hot French Customs Agents (really nice guys :D), and so small that Customs is a breeze. Sod Eurostar, indeed! ;)

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
You wanna bet? Michael O'Leary will take advantage whole heartedly i'd imagine lol.

Don't be silly, emily. Michael O'Leary is a kind, quiet, gentle soul who'd never dream of doing such a thing. ;)

emilycross

is away with the fairies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewriterschronicle.forumotion.net
Don't be silly, emily. Michael O'Leary is a kind, quiet, gentle soul who'd never dream of doing such a thing. ;)

Oh so true, but you've forgotten that he is also a shrinking violet - who shies away from the glare of public life and the spot light, only venturing forth when thinking of others as he walks through life with grace and dignity. Oh Michael, truly you're an example for all mankind!

:roll:

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
I'll take the brandy, and skip the pudding.

I'm allergic to nuts and hate plums. :)

In that case I prescribe lots and lots of brandy, overdosing on sherry trifle and seeing how many people within a mile radius you can offend by singing the rude version of all the christmas songs in one day.

What? It'll be fun!

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
Bloody hell. I feel like I'm the MC of a novel, and there's an author throwing rocks at me.

My goal: To go to the old country on the 23rd

Obstacles:

First a BA strike, which got cancelled.

Second, snow - which screwed up ALL the airlines (and it will snow next week too)

And now... ta dah...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2009/dec/20/eurostar-suspended-cold-snap

Bloody EuroStar is going down.

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
I just watched the thing about Eurostar on the BBC news. I watched it on the news last night as well, when they told everyone not to go to St Pancras today because there won't be any trains. Today they were interviewing people who were moaning a lot because they were at St Pancras and there weren't any trains. Gah.