• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Blumer Literary Agency (Liv & Bill Blumer)

Query Ninja

Registered
Reaction score
Kept book I sent, kept return 1.29 postage for book and rejection letter, claimed they sent a rejection letter "weeks ago" (um, on who's postage, then?) and when I pressed them on why the first 100 pages got rejected, what she said had *nothing* to do with the writing. totally out there. never heard that one. scary! :Hammer: mom & pop agency, never again. They're not highly rated on Preds & Eds, wonder why...

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry, your post is unclear. Is your complaint that they didn’t return your partial and wouldn't give you a specific reason why they rejected you? Both are standard, FWIW. The first for practicality (what would you do with a used partial, anyway?) and the latter to stave off rebuttals.

Query Ninja

Registered
Reaction score
No. The complaint is they didn't return a BOOK I had sent in my dollar twenty nine envelope, nor did they send a rejection. Never got BOOK or LETTER or MY POSTAGE back. Clear? The book was my first book I published, not the partial. The partial I did not need back.

Also, people do get partials back, fyi, if they want them. Generally, people do get back things in envelopes if they want them back. When I emailed them, they claimed to have sent it out "weeks" ago. As far as the reason for rejection, as I said, it was way out there. So beware or not, I'm just posting my experience!

:box:

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Query Ninja said:
No. The complaint is they didn't return a BOOK I had sent in my dollar twenty nine envelope, nor did they send a rejection. Never got BOOK or LETTER or MY POSTAGE back. Clear? The book was my first book I published, not the partial. The partial I did not need back.

Also, people do get partials back, fyi, if they want them. Generally, people do get back things in envelopes if they want them back. When I emailed them, they claimed to have sent it out "weeks" ago. As far as the reason for rejection, as I said, it was way out there. So beware or not, I'm just posting my experience!

:box:
Hi Query Ninja,
Bummer about your experience, but it's not that unusual for an agency or publisher to miss stuff now and then. Your partial, book, and return envelope probably got separated somewhere down the line. Why did you send them the first book you published with your partial? Did they ask for it? People send me books they've already written all the time, and I don't know why--it's already been published. Why would I want it?

Query Ninja

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Nomad,

The whole thing felt unprofessional. Rather than defend why I even sent the book, you know, these people get 15%- agents- and I would hope they would be OBSERVANT enough to return materials. Stuff can get separated, of course, but when CONTACTED, which happened last week when I didn't get the book back from another agency, the agent apologized and got it out right away. I guess when faced with a large manilla envelope that has way more postage than needed for a single sheet of paper, I have to wonder at their intelligence. I was an editor at 2 lit mags and the cascade of paper can get ridiculous. But if you stay organized! Really, it's back to the unprofessionalism and out-there reason for rejection. Probably what happened is they recycled everything and just didn't bother and when I contacted them they said something generic.

What gets my back up in this process is it's a HUMAN BEING- you, me, whomever, on the other end of those pages they're holding in their hand. Someone who has spent years, on most cases, on the work, who has gone thru god knows what in terms of sacrifices to get the work on the page- financial, time-wise, a zillion hours on research, on and on- we as writers have lived it, and they have it there in their hand and then disrespect it because they can't get their 15% cut? Most agents I've dealt with have been fine. Don't get me wrong. But like any profession, there's stinkers. Only when they stink, the stench really carries, you know? (a cliche, ouch!) Last, like any workshop etiquette, when you reject a work, you say something positive about what you have in your hands, following it with the reason for rejection. That's as basic as putting stuff in an envelope.

:Clap: Done ranting!

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
Query Ninja, I can understand why you're frustrated. May I ask if you're sure you followed the agency's guidelines when you sent them these things? Did they request that you send the book, for example, and if so, did you submit it the way they told you to? If so, then I'd say you have a legitimate gripe.

lostlore

Registered
Reaction score
Ok, it's been a while. This is the only post on the site about the Blumer Agency. Has anyone else dealt with them, know what they're like or what they're looking for these days?

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
Query Ninja said:
Last, like any workshop etiquette, when you reject a work, you say something positive about what you have in your hands, following it with the reason for rejection. That's as basic as putting stuff in an envelope.

Workshop etiquette doesn't apply to the world of submitting to agents. You can want it to, but most agents will not tell you why you were rejected. There's this thing called form rejections. Most of them get us. They don't tell us why we're rejected, just say that we are, and that is all the agent really owes us at this part of the process, a reply.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
General info for Ms. Blumer: http://www.agentquery.com/agent.aspx?agentid=496

A sale in Nov '06:

General/Other -- Nancy Star's CARPOOL DIEM, the story of a working mother/perfectionist who loses her high-powered job and tries to apply her "I Can Do Anything" management skills to her family, to Beth de Guzman at Warner 5 Spot, with Melanie Murray editing, by Liv Blumer at TheBlumer Agency (World).
No personal anecdotes, sorry. :)

PeteDutcher

Twitter: @petedutcherjr
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Does anyone know the agency website address? I've done searches and turned up nothing but other website profiles of the agency...with no links.

I am amazed at how many of these agencies do not have a website at all, lol.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
They don't have a website. Their PM and AQ pages have all their info, though.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone have recent contact with either Blumer? Not finding any activity after '12.

mattsdjos

Registered
Reaction score
Follow her instructions on PM or QT. Representation is on AQ--she accepts very high quality work, authors listed there could easily be taught at collegiate upper division level. If you're looking for a CF agent, you should probably forget it
matts

mattsdjos

Registered
Reaction score
Be wary. Queries require a good deal of work (and postage) Replies on a small card addressed to "Sir" or "Madam". The message suggests an overblown sense of their own importance: "eclectic, best sellers, discriminating, experienced." Actual representation is not especially impressive (good, but not great)