Murderous Plants?

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
I love science:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience...ce/killerpetuniasandmurderouspotatoesrevealed

Chase and his colleagues reviewed all the research so far on carnivorous plants. A number of plants might actually be carnivorous, they noted, but merely go about their murderous business in a subtler manner than their more conspicuous cousins.

I can't wait to see what their figures turn up when they irradiate the bugs and find out just what the plant is doing with them once it kills them.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
The only thing I saw plants kill last year was Mark Walhberg's career.

And, god willing, M. Night Shamalamadingdong's too.

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The only thing I saw plants kill last year was Mark Walhberg's career.

And, god willing, M. Night Shamalamadingdong's too.

What?? Ah Mr. Grinch. . . .

princessvessna

Garden Geek Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
Website
treesandshrubs.about.com
Oh, plants are neat. They can actively hurt each other (walnut trees produce juglone, which inhibits other plants), feed on each other (mistletoe is a parasite), make aspirin when stressed, warn each other, eat bugs & more, and so many other crazy things. Thanks for the article. I should blog about it.

Last edited:

Dommo

On Mac's double secret probation.
Registered
Reaction score
Actually when you compare the way plants compete against each other, they make animals look like a bunch of pacifists. I remember watching a National Geographic special one time on the plant life in the Amazon, and it was ridiculous how competitive the plants were when it came to their being a hole in the canopy.

Gregg

Life is good
Registered
Reaction score
Worse are the invasive plants. Here in ther upper Midwest we've battled Honeysuckle and Buckthorn for decades - they invade native forests and take over.
Worse, in my opinion, is Garlic Mustard - it'll take over an entire forest and may even prevent new trees from growing. It's difficult to control because the seeds can remain viable in the soil for 5 years or more.
I had it in my backyard 10 years ago and I'm still fighting it. I've got the upper hand, but can't relax.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
kudzu.
4170320439_9abd4a2332_m.jpg

That used to be a building, a house, I think.

The trees used to have branches. Kudzu grows so heavy and thick that it snaps the branches off.

And it's almost freakin' everywhere.
Here's one from Australia.

4170332745_072709291e_m.jpg

Last edited:

princessvessna

Garden Geek Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
Website
treesandshrubs.about.com
Bindweed is from the Devil himself. Twines itself around everything and starts choking it. Very difficult to ever get rid of - roots go down 6'+, hundreds of thousands of seeds in a small area, pieces broken off can create new roots, seeds last a long time...

Morning glory is also horrid, at least here in CA. Sends underground roots all over and creates new vines. I've ripped it out several times and yet, still is here.

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
kudzu.
4170320439_9abd4a2332_m.jpg

That used to be a building, a house, I think.

The trees used to have branches. Kudzu grows so heavy and thick that it snaps the branches off.

And it's almost freakin' everywhere.
Here's one from Australia.

4170332745_072709291e_m.jpg

Bindweed is from the Devil himself. Twines itself around everything and starts choking it. Very difficult to ever get rid of - roots go down 6'+, hundreds of thousands of seeds in a small area, pieces broken off can create new roots, seeds last a long time...

Morning glory is also horrid, at least here in CA. Sends underground roots all over and creates new vines. I've ripped it out several times and yet, still is here.

Can either one of you guys name the vine with the bright orange roots? It only just took hold here in Southern New England about 10 years ago. It's a real bitch to get rid of. When you yank the vines up out of the lawn, the roots are the brightest neon orange you ever saw. It's the same shade of orange that highway construction signs use.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Actually when you compare the way plants compete against each other, they make animals look like a bunch of pacifists. I remember watching a National Geographic special one time on the plant life in the Amazon, and it was ridiculous how competitive the plants were when it came to their being a hole in the canopy.

That's an interesting way to put it and now that I think about it, I think you're right.