Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, gotcha. Thanks!

I've written a little RPS, then. Circulated to a very small number of people. The best one was revised until the RP is no longer visible.

Maryn, urging you to slip off your shoes and put your feet on the coffee table

mmilou

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, gotcha. Thanks!

I've written a little RPS, then. Circulated to a very small number of people. The best one was revised until the RP is no longer visible.

Maryn, urging you to slip off your shoes and put your feet on the coffee table

Sounds pretty much what I've done too - writing RPS isn't something you'd advertise outside a group of trusted like-minded friends. But I think I've had enough of that genre for now (all bunnies have been in coma for ages) and am happy to try something new.

E. S. Lark

Editing all the time
Registered
Reaction score
Deena, welcome to the boards. What is it that you're looking for exactly? We can help, but we need something a little more specific first.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Writing, Deena. (Oh, come on, everybody just loves a smart-ass, right? Right? Oh, they don't? Damn, I've lived much of my adult life all wrong.)

In seriousness, you should be reading current erotica from paying publishers, in whatever subgenres you want to or do write in, such as erotic romance or erotic horror, a particular fetish or interest, etc. Even if you opt to self-publish, that's your competition, and it's wise to know what they're doing.

And you should be writing, getting the work as good as you know how to do, then seeking qualified feedback from those who read the genre (who may write in it, too, but don't have to). Once you have fifty posts, you can seek critique at Share Your Work - Erotica. It's password-protected to keep youngsters out. You'd be wise, too, to get the password from a mod (me or veinglory) and offer up critique on other people's work, which you can do without having fifty posts, so they'll feel they both know you and owe you one.

Maryn, delighted to see new people

Cassandra Heartfelt

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, I'm sure this isn't the appropriate place for greeting, but I'm at lost for a proper introduction, plus I found this site while looking for a place to rant about my erotica book peeves.

I'm a lurker, and really only came on this site because I would like to improve on my erotica, more than anything else, but I might start branching out into other sections of Absolute Write when the time calls for it.

You'll find me in this section a lot (or romance) as that's the genre I write about a lot, or mainly because it's what I need help in the most. This might make me sound sad and desperate, but I've never had a relationship before, and I never had relations, if you get what I'm saying, but (and yes, I'm tooting my own horn here) I think I can write a pretty steamy, not at all virgin influenced, love scene; my problem is, I have no idea how to write real relationships!

I love making my stories as realistic as possible (not to mention as quirky, unique, and silly as possible) but it's hard to make a strange, quirky romantic relationship when one has never experienced a romantic relationship in the first place. Of course, most of my ideas come from my imagination, other romance stories, and pure common senses (not to mention fantasies), but at time I get stuck on how a significant other would react to their significant other during certain circumstances (I'm being vague here for the sake of generalization).

I don't know what happens when couples fight and make up, I don't know what happens when couples first realize they love each other, or when they feel neglected, and all that good stuff; my family and friends aren't writers, so I can't ask them what sounds good in a story (the majority of them either hate reading, or loves Mary Sues, so... ya know), I do base some actions off of the relationships of people around me (and that's not good, for a completely different reasons being that they are all practically bad relationships, but I'm digressing), but I'm not in my family and friends relationships 24/7, not to mention I'm not personally involved, so a lot of reasons and emotions is left out on my part, so I lose the experience, if I even gain any.

I may come on to this site to ask what might be realistic in certain relationship "events", how someone might handle a certain situation that they're dealing with their lover. Right now I have a story that involves a married couple, and they have a rather "quirky" relationship with each other, but I'm not sure how to express it during the story. I'll explain more when I actually have a question for help in my head, but right now, I'm glad I found this site, it looks really nice. :)

afullmargin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
cablocke.blogspot.com
Hello! Introduced myself on the newbie forum too, but figured since my primary writing falls heavily into the erotica category I'll be spending a lot of time over here more than anywhere else on the forum.

My name is Amber, I've been writing for about fifteen years (most of which were rubbish) and preparing myself to make the jump into paying markets from posting on free sites and writing fanfiction. I prefer to write short stories in the 3-5k range with a somewhat heavy emphasis on non-heterosexual relationships and kink.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A pleasure to have you join us. Amber. Lots of us write non-het and kink, so you're in good company.

Maryn, shaking hands

KVL

Registered
Reaction score
London, but I left my heart in San Francisco
Hello everyone - am de-lurking briefly to say that I've been skimming through some of the posts on this forum and have found them helpful, especially in terms of acronyms etc :)

I'm waiting to hear back on an R&R I submitted last month. Right now I have an erotic novella that I'm preparing to submit (to the same place, so hoping the R&R won't take too much longer) and I'm still finding my feet with differing heat levels and what I feel comfortable writing.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi there, KVL. We saw you in the shadows, but figured if we ignored you, eventually you'd come into the sunshine.

Maryn, always right (as if!)

Pandora Lee

I <3 books.
Registered
Reaction score
Hello folks!

My nom de plume is Pandora Lee, and erotica seems to have been the cure for my decades-long case of writer's block. I have a novella I'm hoping to finish before November... because then I'm doing NaNoWriMo. :D

Both the novella and my planned NaNo are kinky erotic romance. The novella's set in the near future, and the NaNo project is soft sci-fi. I'm also planning out a series of modern-day short stories, with an eye to self-publishing.

Anyway, it's great to be here, and I look forward to getting to know some folks!

-Pandora

Pandora Lee

I <3 books.
Registered
Reaction score
Shouldn't that make you more effusive, not less? ;)

But thank you. :)

lexi_dubois

Registered
Reaction score
I wanted to introduce myself. I am Lexi and I just released my first erotic novella. I am so excited. I am currently working about a series of shorts and a novel series. I have been wanting to do a series of shorts for a long time.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A pleasure to meet you, lexi. If you'll wander in the general direction of the Newbies threads, you will find all kinds of informational posts stickied at the top of boards, which will explain how this place works, what to do when someone's an ass, what's expected of you, and all that sort of thing.

Although I think I'd been here maybe 18 months before I realizes there was a Newbies area.

Maryn, slow on the uptake

CaPooF

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Lexi, and congrats on the release!

Bridget

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Everyone !
I am Bridget.
I just joined the forum and have been looking around trying to familiarize myself with all of the threads here.
I was so relieved to find one about Erotica.
I have been writing in one form or another since I was eight years old.
I started with horror stories,helping a classmate write a story about this house in her neighborhood, I found the RL Stine books and read them as teen,but then veered off into romance, and the last several years I have focused my attention on erotica.
I have yet to be published because I am scared of letting anyone read any of my work other than friends and family.
All of whom have encouraged me to get myself published .
I have started a blog and have two stories on there,but I have so many more that are just waiting to be finished on my laptop .
I am very open minded sexually,so long as it isn't illegal .
There are so many topics that I look forward to conquering, though I am straight female, lesbian and gay erotica are two things that I would love to write about.
I am so happy to have found this forum .
It looks as if there is a thread for any question that one might have.
Cleary grammar is one of my weaknesses,so I apologize .
I look forward to visiting a lot and that password protected room sounds very intriguing...lol
Sorry for the long post!

~ Bridget

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A pleasure to have you join us, Bridget.

Maryn, firm handshake

MsLaylaCakes

Playing the waiting game
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.taraquan.com
Hi - I guess I should officially introduce myself to this thread (though I've already posted here and there). I've only recently joined AW, but I've been lurking for a good long while.

My name is Layla (my nom de plume is Tara Quan). I write erotic romances. I finished my first erotic novella not so long ago and it's coming out with Liquid Silver Books mid-January (I wrote two 'mainstream romances' before this, but they haven't fared well in the harsh cruel world, so they're rusticating on my hard drive.) My WIP is a novella-length fantasy erotic romance (and my very first attempt to write at the higher end of heat levels, which is probably why it's taking me forever to finish it).

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We're glad to see you out in the open, Layla. Welcome!

Maryn, pouring you coffee