• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Stony Meadow Publishing / Dark Moon Books

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I see no conflict of interest. I have been around the block a time or two and know when I have written something that is crap. It would not be to my advantage to publish something of my own simply for self-gratification if it would hurt the image of the company as a whole. Hope that answers your questions.
If I'm reading it correctly, your answer is "just trust me."

The potential for this conflict of interest will always be there, for as long as the press publishes the owner's books. The perception that this conflict of interest is a problem will exist for many authors until the press has proved it to be otherwise. The reality that this conflict of interest is having/will have a negative impact on the press's other authors shall, obviously, have to remain as theory until it plays out one way or the other.

And the way that you've handled the reality -- the things you've put into place to remove that conflict of interest -- are:
a) you've stated you're trustworthy, and
b) "we typically market/advertise all Dark Moon titles as a unit."

The word 'typically' always gives me the willies. For some reason, I always turn out to be the exception to the rule. There's also the problem that while marketing may be done fairly between authors, what about cover art? Marketing? Distribution? Will the press owner's book get expensive original art on its cover while the other authors get slapped-on stock covers? Do you see what I mean? The potential for conflict of interest is there. If an author likes your book's cover better than his own book's cover, the perception of conflict of interest is there.

As for your assertion that you are wise, experienced, knowledgable, professional, and trustworthy -- sure, you probably are. But I could be wrong. You could be wrong. Derek Armstrong of Kunati Books was, by all accounts, wise, experienced, knowledgable, professional, and trustworthy, and his press was looking like quite a success. Until it all went pear-shaped.

Have a read of that press's thread and you'll understand why we're asking these questions. We're not trying to hurt you. We're trying to help you, and we're trying to help outselves and other authors. Seriously.

stanswanson

Registered
Reaction score
Um, you don't publish Kindle books through Createspace.

Sorry, you are right. The point I was trying to make is that both CreateSpace (Lulu, etc.) as well as publishing for the Kindle, Nook, etc. greatly increases the odds of poorly written, unedited books being made available to the general public. Dark Moon Digest recently rejected a poorly written short story and found it available on the Kindle for 99 cents the next day.

stanswanson

Registered
Reaction score
Quote from Priceless: Now wait a minute. You came here offering to answer questions about your company, and I don't think I asked you anything that was extraordinary:
How do you propose to market?
How do you promote your books and get them into the marketplace? To date, you have yet to answer those questions, so I think it's a bit premature to take your marbles and go home. Okay, my marbles are still in the game. 1) The only logical way to market any book (whether it is fiction of nonfiction) is to focus on niche markets. Otherwise you are wasting your money. 2) Since we are only a POD publisher, we don't have to get books to brick-and-mortar store. (We have had them available in the past at Barnes & Noble, etc., but shelf-life and return rates made it more profitable not to do so. The last time I worked with B&N, they order 500 copies of "The Songwriter's Journal", but individually stores were returning books in two weeks!)
Our primary marketing plan (for Dark Moon Books which publishes horror only) includes 1) Advertising in "Cemetery Dance" and "Scary Monsters" both of which claim 10,000-plus readers; 2) Signing up for horror/sci/fantasy cons and having dealer tables at said cons and advertising in their promotional and souvenir programs; 3) Having a growing presence on social networks including Facebook and Twitter; 4) Having authors involved in their own promotional efforts; 5) Sending out books for reviews, etc.

Nonfiction sells well, but you have to have a marketable book whose storyline will appeal to a large readership. You really don't have to appeal to a "large" readership to have a successful book, but you do have to find a niche to market to. You have yet to state how you make your nonfiction sell - or any of your genres, for that matter. I really only have two non-fiction books out there and they really have no reflection on Dark Moon Books as a publisher. I haven't marketed "The Songwriter's Journal" in 2-3 years, but still pull in a couple of hundred dollars a month on the title. Word of mouth is still a great sales tool. I spoke to the marketing of Dark Moon Books above.

Sigh. This is what I'm asking. WHY are they happy? What are you doing for them that makes them love you? Guess I'm just a nice guy who gives them a fair shake and treats them like real people and not just clients. :) Will they get rich by publishing with me? Probably not. But they will never regret it either. I've been in or around the publishing business for over thirty years.

You said you would answer any questions, and I'm still waiting. Why is this? Publishing isn't a matter of saying, "Just trust me." Maybe it should be. I have two authors who are working on novels for Dark Moon and we haven't even signed the contract yet. They do trust me. But you are right, the world isn't like that any longer. But if an author can't trust me, then a deal isn't going to happen any way. If you can't handle a few pointed questions, then I can't help but wonder how you'll handle the tough business of selling books. It takes a thick hide and guts. It might take a thick hide and guts to be an author (especially early on); it doesn't take a thick hide and guts to be a publisher. It just takes hard work.

priceless1

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.behlerpublications.com
You really don't have to appeal to a "large" readership to have a successful book, but you do have to find a niche to market to.
That doesn't make any sense. The long and short of publishing is that you need a lot of people to buy your books in order to make any money, regardless of niche.

I really only have two non-fiction books out there and they really have no reflection on Dark Moon Books as a publisher.
This could be a double-edged sword. Since your company is new and you don't have many books out, you haven't established yourself as a go-to publisher. If authors saw how you promoted your own books and were very successful at it, then you've, at least, established yourself as having the ability to promote and sell books.

Guess I'm just a nice guy who gives them a fair shake and treats them like real people and not just clients. :) Will they get rich by publishing with me? Probably not. But they will never regret it either. I've been in or around the publishing business for over thirty years.
Being nice doesn't make for a successful company. I'm not sure what you mean by giving your authors "a fair shake." Is this akin to giving authors the chance they deserve? If so, this isn't a selling point. Authors get published because they have a marketable book that is well written, and they sign with companies who have the ability to get their books sold.

As for treating your authors like "real people," what does this mean? I think you could ask any of my authors, and they'd tell you the same thing. In the end, who cares? The real concern is can I sell their books? That's why they came to me - not because of my winning personality and charming beagle. These aren't selling points. Many, many publishers are good people who treat their authors well.

You mentioned that you'd been in publishing for thirty years. Now that's a selling point, yet it's nowhere on your site. It's puzzling. In what capacity is your publishing experience?

Maybe it should be. I have two authors who are working on novels for Dark Moon and we haven't even signed the contract yet. They do trust me. But you are right, the world isn't like that any longer. But if an author can't trust me, then a deal isn't going to happen any way.

May I submit that trust is earned, and one earns that trust by having a solid product to sell. Your site has 0 books listed, and your site offers no detail as to your background.

Please know that I'm not picking on you because I have nothing better to do. I'm asking questions because this is what authors do when they care about their writing future. I think you sound like a nice guy, but I still wonder about your footprint in this particular genre. It's great that you're going to the cons and setting up a table and advertising your books in the appropriate magazines. But it's a lot for an author to trust you right now since your company is so new and unproven. I wish you all the success.
it doesn't take a thick hide and guts to be a publisher. It just takes hard work.
You are the first publisher I've ever heard say this. Everyone else I know has a hide of leather and guts of steel. The hard work goes without saying.

C.W.LaSart

Registered
Reaction score
My first collection of short stories, Ad Nauseam 13 Tales of Extreme Horror, was published by Dark Moon Books on March 1st of this year, and I couldn't be happier. Stan and his crew did a great job with the editing, purchased a very cool cover (I was allowed to weigh in on that choice) and produced a lovely product. The contract was fair, my royalty rate very satisfactory, and my royalties have been paid on time. I know that Stan may come across as naive to some of you, but he is exactly as he presents himself, easy-going and not at all jaded.

Dark Moon Books attended the World Horror Convention this year and I was invited to come as well. Their table was well-stocked and well-received. They have purchased ad space in Cemetery Dance and promoted my book well. The collection is currently in the lead for its category, as far as recommendations for a Bram Stoker Award.

I hope this answers any questions anyone may have. I highly recommend Dark Moon Books as a small press.

dale hollin

Registered
Reaction score
does anyone have any more recent dealings with this publisher? i'm debating on whether or not to submit a novella to them. looks like this publisher was just getting started when this thread was created, so there might be a different outlook now.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Main site hasn't been updated in years, and imprints Inamorata Romance Books and Slick Friction Press never got off the ground. Dark Moon Books is still active, though.

stanswanson

Registered
Reaction score
Dark Moon Books update

Dark Moon Books is the only active imprint of Stony Meadow Publishing. They published several books in 2013, but are closed to novel submissions until further notice. They are accepting short stories for their quarterly horror anthology, Dark Moon Digest, and their monthly horror magazine, Dark Eclipse. (Dark Moon has its own website and blog at www.darkmoonbooks.com.)