UK government considering windfall tax on banks

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8398189.stm

Right, okay, I'm not the world's brightest financial brain, but if the UK government is going to impose a windfall tax on banks which have been bailed out by UK taxpayers, aren't they just taking our money back? Or if they're going to windfall tax the big bonuses, aren't they paid for with British taxpayers' money in the first place? So what is the actual net gain from this exercise, other than the government trying to make itself look big? My brain hurts...

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Heh, I'm all for it. . . .

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
I'm all for it too, in principle. But unless it's the bank's actual business profits that are being taxed and ONLY the business profits, and not just the government reclaiming its (and therefore our) own money, I don't see what gain the Treasury stands to make.

Last edited:

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm all for it too, in principal. But unless it's the bank's actual business profits that are being taxed and ONLY the business profits, and not just the government reclaiming its (and therefore our) own money, I don't see what gain the Treasury stands to make.

But if the government is simply reclaiming its money, why does that bother you??

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
The grandstanding about it bothers me. Why not just quietly take our money back? Why not just take it and chalk it down as a loan repayment instead of making it a national news issue?

The banks are bitching about it, of course, but that doesn't bother me in the least. They made their bed and all that. If a banker gets 90% taxed (I'm not suggesting that's the actual figure I don't think it's been decided yet) on his or her £1million bonus I'm not losing any sleep over it. The government making a big deal out of doing what it's supposed to do and reclaim our money just seems to my old, cynical head like old, cynical electioneering and nothing more. So they can say 'We've been tough on the bankers!'. But it seems the Conservatives are supporting the idea, which is political death to any Labour government. At least it used to be...

Robert Toy

FOB and Slayer of windmills
Registered
Reaction score
The grandstanding about it bothers me. Why not just quietly take our money back? Why not just take it and chalk it down as a loan repayment instead of making it a national news issue?
slow news week...

typically means they want to hide something embarrassing

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

The banks are bitching about it, of course, but that doesn't bother me in the least. They made their bed and all that. If a banker gets 90% taxed (I'm not suggesting that's the actual figure I don't think it's been decided yet) on his or her £1million bonus I'm not losing any sleep over it. The government making a big deal out of doing what it's supposed to do and reclaim our money just seems to my old, cynical head like old, cynical electioneering and nothing more. So they can say 'We've been tough on the bankers!'. But it seems the Conservatives are supporting the idea, which is political death to any Labour government. At least it used to be...

Yes, I think it's politics, but somewhere within that term, they're doing the right thing. If they kept it quiet, they'd be accused of hiding something, too imho. . . .

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I think it's politics, but somewhere within that term, they're doing the right thing. If they kept it quiet, they'd be accused of hiding something, too imho. . . .

Well, that's undoubtably true. I'd personally still prefer a quiet, efficient government to a noisy useless one, and as it stands I think we're stuck with noisy and useless. On both sides. Mix in a media that's not far off rabid and my preference is lumbering towards hopeless.

Gregg

Life is good
Registered
Reaction score
I suppose it would have been better if the government bailed them out and they lost money?

If you believe in Capitalism, you believe in profit
If you don't believe in profits, you're not a Capitalist.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Right, okay, I'm not the world's brightest financial brain, but if the UK government is going to impose a windfall tax on banks which have been bailed out by UK taxpayers, aren't they just taking our money back? Or if they're going to windfall tax the big bonuses, aren't they paid for with British taxpayers' money in the first place? So what is the actual net gain from this exercise, other than the government trying to make itself look big? My brain hurts...

What you perhaps inadvertently illustrate by these questions is the point that banks don't actually create any wealth. They manufacture nothing, produce nothing, do nothing other than facilitate the movement of capital and credit from Point A to Point B, skimming along the way as much value from such transactions as they can, using every mechanism for obfuscation and deception that they can manage. In the biological world, an organism that operates in this fashion is called a "parasite". I'm not sure what the proper treatment for this politico-economic situation is, but it is useful to recognize the issue for what it is.

My father, a young man during the 1930s Depression, detested banks and bankers with a visceral hatred rivaled only by his hatred for snakes and spiders. I didn't really understand it as a child, but I do now.

When's the last time you saw a poor banker, except for an incarcerated one?

caw

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Well said, blacbird. A concise and accurate description of the modern banking system, as created by FedGov and implemented by the Federal Reserve. In the days of honest money, at least banks acted as a store of value and deserved some paltry sum for performing as such.

However, since you can substitute "government" for "banks" in that explanation without changing one additional word, I wonder why you don't feel the same way about it?

Gregg

Life is good
Registered
Reaction score
At least the banks have to compete against each other. At least I get good service at my bank.
The government has no competitor. L

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
I don't believe in myths like the albatross around one's neck...

or Santa Claus...

or the Easter Bunny...

or a benevolent government.

Those who do are welcome to their beliefs, of course. :)

ETA: Then again, if you were comparing government to a dead, decaying, stinking mass of garbage strung around our collective necks by those who assume authority, you may be onto something. :D

Last edited:

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
The government has no competitor.

The Conservatives have admitted they'd have let at least some of the banks go down if they'd been in power. Whether that would have panned out better in the long run for taxpayers, I don't know. In that sense, the government DO have a competitor, but it's a competitor who would have let thousands of people lose their savings and jobs, but not involved the general taxpayer.

I should say I have some sympathy for the wee people who work in banks. I've been a phone rat for Abbey and it's a tough job with a lot of responsibility. Someone earning £13,000 (roughly $US20,000) a year in a call centre is vastly different from the banker who qualifies for an enormous bonus, even if they work for the same bank.

Last edited:

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Well, that's undoubtably true. I'd personally still prefer a quiet, efficient government to a noisy useless one, and as it stands I think we're stuck with noisy and useless. On both sides. Mix in a media that's not far off rabid and my preference is lumbering towards hopeless.

I keep telling you, we need to shoot them all. I'm off to storm Parliament, you coming?

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
I keep telling you, we need to shoot them all. I'm off to storm Parliament, you coming?

Only if you promise no burning torches and pitchforks this time. That last storming of Parliament you dragged me to was a total disaster. ;)

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Less pitchforks, more booze. Last one to the Member's Bar is a rotten banana

ETA: I'd prefer if the Government stopped being all wussy and told the banks they ain't getting their bonuses until they've paid back the taxpayer.

I am not holding my breath

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
I'd prefer if the Government stopped being all wussy and told the banks they ain't getting their bonuses until they've paid back the taxpayer.

No need. The bankers will do the decent thing and refuse their bonuses.

:ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:

God, I'm hilarious. I should be on stage or something...

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
ETA: I'd prefer if the Government stopped being all wussy and told the bankERs they ain't getting OUT OF THE SCRUBS until they've paid back the taxpayer.

With a little tweak, we have my view.

Jstwatchin

Where's my head?
Registered
Reaction score
I suppose it would have been better if the government bailed them out and they lost money?

If you believe in Capitalism, you believe in profit
If you don't believe in profits, you're not a Capitalist.

If the government needed to bail them out to prevent the bank from going bankrupt, it means there was no profit. There should have been no performance bonus paid to the CEO either.