Newbie trying to find a publisher

MRudoy

Registered
Reaction score
Hi my name is Matthew Rudoy. I am fifteen years old and a sophomore in high school. Over this past summer, I wrote a fantasy adventure type book. Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can get my book published or where to start?

Seams

○
Registered
Reaction score
hello Matthew, welcome to the Cooler, enjoy your stay, lots of friendly and helpful people here to help you with my questions (sadly i'm not so helpful at that book pub questions but i'm sure others can lend you a hand)

Seams

MRudoy

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. What brought you to this website?

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome Matthew. :)

While you're scoping out publishers and agents in the Bewares and Background Checks forum, you might want to consider posting a bit of your work in the Share Your Work forum (the password is vista) so you can get some feedback. I remember how tough it was to get a good critique when I was a teenager. Don't worry, they'll be nice. Honest, but nice. ;)

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW. Hope you enjoy your stay with us.
How do you like your popcorn?

If you go to the bottom of the page to the ‘forum jump’ you can scroll down and find all the areas of this place. Most of the SYW areas require the password of ….vista. Good luck.

Tom Johnson

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www15.brinkster.com
Welcome to AW, Matthew. There are lots of good people on board here, and will help answer your questions. Don't worry about being young, just stick with your writing, and don't give up. When I was in the publishing business, we had a young man right out of High School that could write any genre he set his mind on. Sadly, illness took his life at a much too early age. Being young was not a stumbling block for him.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Matthew! Take your time and familiarize yourself with this site. It's huge. See you 'round the boards.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Hi my name is Matthew Rudoy. I am fifteen years old and a sophomore in high school. Over this past summer, I wrote a fantasy adventure type book. Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can get my book published or where to start?
From experience I say, start with patience. Take it from me.
If you kick around the forums here for a while, youll have all the info you need.
Welcome

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to the watercooler :welcome:

Don't forget to read the newbie guide (a sticky thread at the top of the Newbie Forum). Also check out Cathy_C's thread, which is also stickied at the top of the Newbie forum, Next on our tour, if you'll look to the left, you'll notice... to find out about the various buttons and icons, and also about rep points, how to PM (private message) members, custom avatars and a whole host of other useful stuff,

Now that's out of the way, to your question about how to get your book published.

Simple answer: find an agent or publisher and wham! there yer go.

Yep, never that easy though.

The not so simple answer is to read. There are a lot of the threads here that will tell you how the process works.

We have a great thread in the novel writing section of this site that lists most of the helpful threads about writing, just click and read: Writing Novels FAQ, Archives and Helpful Links

After you've done a bit of reading, you may also find you could do with some feedback on your writing. If you do, then post some in our Share Your Work forum (the password is vista). The critiques can be harsh sometimes ... but honest, so prepare yourself for that. Everyone means well, though. Their goal is to get you the best novel/story/article possible and to get it published. Check out the how-to guide threads in Main Share Your Work sub-forum, then post your material in one of the genre sub-forums.

After you've done all of that and polished your novel, your query, your synopsis, then you'll begin to look for agents. Searching for agents and publishers can be tricky. And knowing which are good and which, well let's just say may not as good, can be even trickier. The Bewares and Background Check Forum should help you with this. Something I would recommend for everyone who is searching for a pubisher/agent is to check them out first. If only everyone did, there would be a lot less heartache afterwards.

You can search for agents to represent you and your by visiting either www.agentquery.com or www.querytracker.net. As well as using the Bewares and Background Check Forum of course :D .

Also check out the Ask the Agent forum for help with agents and such. We have Nathan Bransford, who is our resident agent, and Jennifer Laughran as a guest agent answering agent related questions at the moment.

Wow, now that's a lot of reading. Shoot the guy who said writing and publishing a novel was easy.

Good luck with your novel :)