More literary MG

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, guys, jumping over from YA to ask a MG question.

I am writing a novel that I planned to be YA. It is about a dreamy, insomniac girl, whose family has moved to an inn while her brother recovers from a TBI (traumatic brain injury). While she's there, she looks into a mystery/ghost story.

The plot, as I see it at the moment, and the character seem a little younger to me, maybe 14ish, but I haven't assigned her an age in the story yet. There's no romance in the book, but there may be one tiny kiss between her and a boy she makes friends with there.

I usually read YA, not MG, and I know the "read MG" advice that's coming. So here's my question.

Two people who have read an excerpt from it say that the language might be too old for MG, while another says it's completely okay. Some of my Friday Night Writes comments have been "very literary" and "nice flowing descriptions," comments I've never had on anything before. The voice is totally different from anything I've done (I usually have a girl attituding all over the place). I lost the attitude for this girl, and her POV is pretty stream-of-consciousness. Because of her brother, she's constantly thinking things about the brain--talking about synapses, for example.

I'm not sure how literary this is, because I wouldn't know literary if it bit me on the butt, but comments make me think it's headed that way. Are there literary MGs, or something that flows like this (this includes any recommendations if you guys have some)? Do you think MG readers would be turned off by this use of language?

(An excerpt, if you want an example, can be found here. http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4334665#post4334665 There are at least two others in that thread afterwards)

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
silly sage, of course there are literary MG books.

You might want to start with TANGERINE by Edward Bloor. I pick this one because it's as good example of how intense you can get and still be considered MG. There's incredible social commentary and violence, but no sex, so...MG. It's demanding to read, not for the young end of the range, but, still...it's incredibly good, and still MG.

ALABAMA MOON by Watt Key and EMMA JEAN LAZARUS FELL OUT OF A TREE are also good examples of literary MG that have long stretches of a single POV character thinking, trying to figure out something about the world. Both of those main characters are very much on-the-fringes, observing the rest of the world and trying to figure out to fit into it. So there's a lot of introspection, and it works.

A good way to find "literary" titles is to search the award winners--Newbery, Publisher's Weekly, those kinds of things.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you so much, Jud. Those sound like perfect examples. I'm in Borders right this second, so I'm running over to check those out :D

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Here are a few more example of literary end MG that would be comparisons. These will give some variety of the literary types of MG writing.

WALK TWO MOONS, by Sharon Creech
THE UNDERNEATH, by Kathi Appelt
ELIJAH OF BUXTON, by Christopher Paul Curtis
HIGHER POWER of LUCKY, by Susan Patron
KIT'S WILDERNESS, by David Almond
AUTUMN STREET, by Lois Lowry

All tend to varying degrees to the literary end of the MG spectrum, and all have some more advanced plot/substance and a great deal of introspection, with a more literary pace.

~suki

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Sage, I haven't read it, but you should try Love Aubrey by Suzanne LeFleur. It's my agent's favorite MG book of the year (only because mine isn't published, ha). It's about a girl recovering from the death of her father and sister in a car accident (too depressing for me, but sounds about right for what you're doing).

Last edited:

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
LOL, this Borders sucks. There were only three of those books here at all.

ETA: Ooh, thanks, kellion. I'll look for that one too.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Anything by Jerry Spinelli.

In fact, I love his books so much that I think everyone should read them...

So, I'd suggest starting with the Newbery winners Maniac Magee and Wringer, and then maybe read some of his later works like Smiles to Go and Eggs.

Glad you're thinking of writing an MG novel, Sage.

:)Smish

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Borders actually has those, yay :)

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, Spinelli, yes! I loved LOSER, too. And I know STARGIRL is popular, though that may be considered YA, I'm not sure.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I think Stargirl is in YA.

Smiles to Go is the one I'm reading now :)

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
I think they're published in the US, but David Almond's Skellig and Heaven Eyes are MG and certainly literary - Skellig won the Whitbread Award (now the Costa Award) and it's been turned into a stage play and a TV movie. Possibly others by Almond, but these two are the only ones I've read so far.

You're np doubt not in that branch of Borders any more, though...

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Another helpful book would be The Tiger Rising by Kate DiCamillo... she's very literary but I think this would be most similar to the tone Sage is going for.

polleekin

Registered
Reaction score
You could also check out The Year the Swallows Came Early by Kathryn Fitzmaurice.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Cool. I'm going to B&N today, and I will add those to the list to look out for. I might check out a Half-Priced Books too 'cuz some of the ones I read the description and really want, but are impossible to find in the big stores (at least in this city) and maybe I'll have more luck in the used store.

I would order them online, but I'm going to be out of town for the next two weeks

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so I have six now.

Smiles to Go (which I'm halfway done with)
Love, Aubrey
The Underneath
Walk Two Moons
Emma Jean Lazarus Fell Out of a Tree (found it at Half Price Books :D)
The Tiger Rising

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so I have six now.

Smiles to Go (which I'm halfway done with)
Love, Aubrey
The Underneath
Walk Two Moons
Emma Jean Lazarus Fell Out of a Tree (found it at Half Price Books :D)
The Tiger Rising

Yayy! We're going to make an MG reader out of you! ;)

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
What's funny is that I'm not usually a literary reader either.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, but in MG, even the literary stuff is fun. Kids won't read it if it's boring, so even the thoughtful books have to get to the point pretty darn quick.

Another one you should check out is BULL RIDER. I haven't read it yet, but it sounds like it would be in the same vein as yours. Deals with a kid whose older brother is serving in Iraq/Afghanistan--can't remember if he's wounded or killed, something like that. Plus the author lives in my SCBWI region, so we always want to encourage the locals!

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting. I thought about making her brother's injury be from serving in Iraq, but I decided that these days that might be almost as much a cliche as car accidents (maybe not in MG, though, I don't know).

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Check out "Stuck in Neutral" by Terry Trueman. Very weird story (the MC/protagonist doesn't do anything...) but lots of talk about brain damage, at a MG level, and lots of stream of consciousness ish style of writing. I'm not crazy about the ending, but the writing is quite good. Also "Joey Pigza Swallowed the Key" by Jack Gantos for more of same. Other good authors: Lois Lowry and Judy Blume.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I forgot I got more recs in here right before I left for Michigan.

I read a few of these already and will bring some more to read on vacation (I'll look up the suggestions in the last two posts too). Thanks to everyone who made suggestions. The ones I've read were really helpful, all for different reasons. :D

I've finished Fireflies (the potentially literary MG), and am going to edit it over Christmas. Then I just hope betas say that, yes, it is literary and it is MG, lol (especially the latter, since it's only 30K) But I'm feeling more confident after some of that reading so I wanted to send you all some thanks. :kiss:

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
30K is possibly okay for MG literary. It's about as short as you can go, though, if your target readers are over 10 years old and it's your debut novel. 30K is much more common in books for the younger end of the age-range, and thinner books are harder to find on a crowded bookshelf so it's easier to sell a debut novel that's a little longer. But literary tends to be shorter--less complicated plot, more mood and voice--so your length is probably fine.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Target readers are definitely over 10 years old.