• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Rio World Class Publishing

inkslinger

Registered
Reaction score
I discovered this on Craigslist today, and it has that Eau de Questionable scent to it:

http://denver.craigslist.org/wrg/86955386.html

To avoid copyright infringement, I won't reproduce the entire listing below (though it would be nice to archive it, for after the Craigslist posting expires), but here is an excerpt:

================
Rio World Class Publishing is looking for your book submissions.

The playing field is becoming level for writers since the E-Book business is booming! We're looking for world-class writers to submit original and non-fiction works. If we like your writing, we'll commission you to write a book for us! This business is huge and growing!

If we select your book as one we'd like to distribute this year, we'll make you an offer for your hard work. After you approve our publishing arrangement, we'll begin to distribute, market, sell, & deliver it to consumers.

We provide:

Marketing
Promotion
E-Book file translation and prep
Cover Design
Distribution and Fees
Printing
Financial Tracking
Sales Tracking
Agent Services
=================

Also, it pays to note this e-book publisher doesn't have a website. Ironic.

I noticed Rio World Class Publishing isn't listed on P&E yet and thought Dave might like to investigate.

Elizabeth

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
I think I've figured out what's fishy. They say they'll commission you to write a book for them, but then say "If we select your book as one we'd like to distribute this year, we'll make you an offer for your hard work. After you approve our publishing arrangement, we'll begin to distribute, market, sell, & deliver it to consumers."

IOW, "once you agree to pay for these things."

inkslinger

Registered
Reaction score
James D. Macdonald said:
The E-book business is booming? When did this happen?
:ROFL:
That was one of my questions, too, the other being:

How does this e-book publisher plan to distribute these books without a website? Kiosks in bookstores? CDs? Vulcan mind meld?

Elizabeth

Last edited:

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
This is the third or fourth scheme I've heard of where a company has you write a book on spec--which has to conform to a specialized subject or format so it couldn't be sold elsewhere--which they then decide whether or not they want to buy and sell. Weird.

I've heard of a lot of questionable offers on Craigslist.

- Victoria