The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Rio World Class Publishing

practical experience, FTW

Rio World Class Publishing

I discovered this on Craigslist today, and it has that Eau de Questionable scent to it:

http://denver.craigslist.org/wrg/86955386.html

To avoid copyright infringement, I won't reproduce the entire listing below (though it would be nice to archive it, for after the Craigslist posting expires), but here is an excerpt:

================
    Rio World Class Publishing is looking for your book submissions.

The playing field is becoming level for writers since the E-Book business is booming! We're looking for world-class writers to submit original and non-fiction works. If we like your writing, we'll commission you to write a book for us! This business is huge and growing!

If we select your book as one we'd like to distribute this year, we'll make you an offer for your hard work. After you approve our publishing arrangement, we'll begin to distribute, market, sell, & deliver it to consumers.

We provide:

Marketing
    Promotion
    E-Book file translation and prep
    Cover Design
    Distribution and Fees
    Printing
    Financial Tracking
    Sales Tracking
    Agent Services
    =================

Also, it pays to note this e-book publisher doesn't have a website. Ironic.

I noticed Rio World Class Publishing isn't listed on P&E yet and thought Dave might like to investigate.

Elizabeth

Gone
    I think I've figured out what's fishy. They say they'll commission you to write a book for them, but then say "If we select your book as one we'd like to distribute this year, we'll make you an offer for your hard work. After you approve our publishing arrangement, we'll begin to distribute, market, sell, & deliver it to consumers."

IOW, "once you agree to pay for these things."

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    The E-book business is booming? When did this happen?

practical experience, FTW
    Quote Originally Posted by James D. Macdonald
    The E-book business is booming? When did this happen?

That was one of my questions, too, the other being:

How does this e-book publisher plan to distribute these books without a website? Kiosks in bookstores? CDs? Vulcan mind meld?

Elizabeth
    Last edited by inkslinger; 07-27-2005 at 02:43 AM.

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    This is the third or fourth scheme I've heard of where a company has you write a book on spec--which has to conform to a specialized subject or format so it couldn't be sold elsewhere--which they then decide whether or not they want to buy and sell. Weird.

I've heard of a lot of questionable offers on Craigslist.

- Victoria

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Well, if this ain't it, it didn't materialize: http://rioworldclass.com/index.htm

ETA: Continuing the presumption, updating URL: http://rioworldclass.com/. All books by owner, however.
    Last edited by CaoPaux; 05-18-2016 at 11:07 PM. Reason: updating w/o bumping
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: