AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Teachers Pay Teachers

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred Chris P's Avatar

Teachers Pay Teachers

A user here recommended the site http://www.TeachersPayTeachers.com for a study guide that I wrote.

Does anyone have any experience with this e-publisher? I'd love to hear your stories.
    Last edited by Chris P; 11-23-2009 at 07:35 PM. Reason: to provide direct link to site
    Join any time! Take the 2017 AW Reading Challenge. Pick 12 books from a list of topics and read/discuss with us throughout the year.

Can't help you much, I'm afraid, but since you've had a fair few views and no replies, I've popped in to keep you company until someone with more knowledge passes by

I don't know if you'd get more response in the Bewares forum... maybe someone with modly powers could spirit the thread over there?

Quote Originally Posted by Polly View Post
    Can't help you much, I'm afraid, but since you've had a fair few views and no replies, I've popped in to keep you company until someone with more knowledge passes by

I don't know if you'd get more response in the Bewares forum... maybe someone with modly powers could spirit the thread over there?
    It's lonely at the top! Shall I PM the mod and forward your suggestion?
    Join any time! Take the 2017 AW Reading Challenge. Pick 12 books from a list of topics and read/discuss with us throughout the year.

TeachersPayTeachers.com

I originally posted this in non-fiction, and someone suggested that I request it be moved here. I PMed the mod a week ago with no response, so I hope it's okay to post it here.

Does anyone know about www.TeachersPayTeachers.com ? In short, educators can post downloadable materials -- anything from sample tests to PowerPoint lecture slides to textbooks -- on the site, set their own price, and get either 60 or 85% royalties depending on whether the seller signs up for the free or premium service.

I've written a study guide that I would like to make available, but I want to avoid any scams. This idea has me interested, but I haven't decided if I want to do this yet.

My own digging on their site shows that the free materials get downloaded quite regularly (if you can believe their download counter). The download count is not given for the non-free materials, but the number of ratings for each item is rather low, which makes me think they don't sell very well. It's pretty clear (and they make no claims) that all marketing would be up to me. They explicitly state that they do not review the material and that they let the market decide what is useful and what isn't (which has my red flags up). Also, the large amount of available material (1500 items in the Biology section) make me wonder if the way they present the material is very effective; if I wasn't looking for my book it's unlikely that I would find it.

If anyone has any experience with this place, either as a buyer or a seller I would appreciate any input.

I've never used it, but I'm not seeing any complaints about it on the web. Not seeing a lot of praise, either.

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    Would you pay money for something when you knew that it hadn't been selected by an editor? How many paid items have you yourself bought from the site?

You might be better off putting it on your own website with a donation button.

Have you considered commercial publication?

Specialized non-fiction is one of the places where self-publication can make sense.