• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Whispers Publishing

frandavea

Registered
Reaction score
Wasn't there also a horror magazine in the 90s with this title?

Eirin

Likes picnic with roast beef.
Registered
Reaction score
The domaine is registered to Dawn Carrington, who writes under pen name Rachel Carrington. She's published with several e-publishers, including Ellora's Cave, so presumably she knows e-pubbing from the author side, at least. I can't find any indication that she has any other relevant experience in publishing.

She has six books out with Whispers Publishing.

The only other name I could find is Rhonda Jackson Joseph, Whispers' Editor-in-Chief, who is apparently also a writer. No information about her experience as editor or publishing in general.

No sales statistics available on Veinglory's EREC site.

Everything - from the website, to the covers, to the info I could find - points to a "Hey, e-publishing is easy! We can do this ourselves" kind of deal. I'd be surprised if any single title sells beyond the double digit.

para

Registered
Reaction score
There's some details on Pier's listing
http://www.hipiers.com/publishing.html#publishers
Erotic Romance: spicy, sensual love stories that leave a reader breathless. Intense plots, spicy males, strong heroines, sizzling dialogue. Consenting adults. But no homosexuality, bestiality, or anything illegal. 35,000 words or less, minimum 10,000. Any subgenre is okay at present. August 2007 update: They are not seeking M/M or F/F at this time. Now if only I knew what those letters stand for. Oh-could it be male on male, female on female? I have a very positive report from one of their authors. December 2007 update: a report of relatively low sales, but good to work with. As they grow sales may improve. December 2008 update: a 20K novella sold over 50 copies in the first week.

I suspect that novella was from an author who is fairly well known or who did a lot of promo.

para

Registered
Reaction score
Poking around the whispers site. The PR person is an author - has one book out with Samhain, and two with Whispers.
One of the editor's Rhiannon Neeley is an author of 17 ebooks, 13 of which are published by Whispers. She is also published by Liquid Silver and Vintage Romance Publishing - which also appears to be owned by Ms Carrington. Thread on Vintage Romance Publishing - http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=877

ETA: Good grief the cover artist is also published by Whispers Publishing. Also visiting her website reveals a pen name - Maggie Wylder. Which surprise surprise has two books at Whispers Publishing

I started going through the author listing. I've got up to H, about five of the authors have no websites or blogs. I find that very strange for an epublished author.

Last edited:

para

Registered
Reaction score
Finished poking around the whispers site, around 7 of their author's have no websites or blogs which is very strange for epublished authors. So I'm wondering if those aren't pen names of the staff. At least one of the staff is listed under two pen names. I think this is one to avoid because of all the commingling that seems to be going on - editor also published with the house etc.

nkkingston

Bemused Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.solelyfictional.org
Try contacting some of their authors to see if they're willing to talk about their sales and so on. Upthread there's evidence some of their writers are also staff (and some are multiple pseudonyms for the same members of staff) so you may want to be careful to contact a non-staff author to get an unbiased report.

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
Try contacting some of their authors to see if they're willing to talk about their sales and so on. Upthread there's evidence some of their writers are also staff (and some are multiple pseudonyms for the same members of staff) so you may want to be careful to contact a non-staff author to get an unbiased report.

Wow. Really? I didn't know that. Thanks for the information. I'll see if I can talk to some of the writers who told me about this publisher. I mean I don't know if any of them are on the staff, but I don't think they are.