Responding to Agents' Requests for Picture Book

ccozic

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ccozic.wordpress.com
I have a picture book (minus illustrations) that I have been submitting to agents for the past month (over 50 queries).

There are two versions of my picture book:
1. a caption picture book that will fit 28 pages
2. a longer version that would have multiple paragraphs per page, rather than captions, so that it would be a longer book.

When an agent requests the manuscript, should I mention that I have two versions and reply with just the shorter version included?

Or should I not mention the two versions, and in case I get a rejection, reply that there is a longer version available?

I have gotten 3 requests for the ms and responded with the shorter version. There were 3 rejections, but one agent said it was a "tough decision" so I think the project is still worth submitting. I did not respond that there is a longer version available.

Just wondering what to do in this unique case of the picture book genre.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
You should have figured this out before you queried. You send them the MS that matches the word count in your query. If you get a rejection; you're rejected. Period. (And "minus illustrations" is the usual way PB's are done.)

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
Picture books tend to go directly to the editor, rather than through an agent.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Ccozic, pick whichever version you think is strongest. I wouldn't mention the other available version.