Oh, man, I can't believe I said THAT in a post!

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Does that ever happen to you? It does to me, from time to time. And no matter how careful I am, eventually I'll say something I wish I could take back. And usually I realize it too late, well after my comments have been made.

Then I think, Oh, man, I can't believe I said THAT in a post!

It bothers me to no end sometimes, and I start to think of the many ways I could've phrased my thoughts differently to get the same point across. By then, though, it's too late to amend the post and the comments are left to stand, regardless the repercussions.

Like I asked earlier, does that ever happen to you? If so, how best do you deal with comments here you wish you'd never made?

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Heh. You'll see several of my grovel-posts scattered about over the fora and over the years, acknowledging that I shouldn't have called someone a name or blistered the paint with my temper, and just saying "I'm sorry."

Reaction score
I just start from a position of 'everyone hates me so it can't get much worse' and take it from there.

Deleted member 42

Does that ever happen to you? It does to me, from time to time. And no matter how careful I am, eventually I'll say something I wish I could take back. And usually I realize it too late, well after my comments have been made.

I've edited stuff before I post. I'll leave it up in a browser window and not post.

I write a lot that I never post; I probably only post a third of the posts I write.

I once posted a post that I was intending to preview, only, while I asked a friend if the post was out of line.

And I'll edit a post too, if no one's responded yet (if people have responded it doesn't feel right to edit for other than spelling or grammar issues, which, of course I never have. It's just your Browser making it look like there are extra commas and misspeeled words).

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
I write a lot that I never post; I probably only post a third of the posts I write.

I find myself doing this more and more lately. :)

I don't really regret anything, I don't think. However, I do wish to "come out" under my real name some day, but I've shared so many personal/family details that I'm getting kind of paranoid that if I ever get famous and someone does some digging I will be in big frickin trouble. :D

I think... before I do that, I may have to wade through my old posts and do some selective deleting. ;)

Reaction score
There have been plenty of times when I've started to type something and then thought, "Nah."

Never the posts where I've sworn profusely or called someone out or said something insulting. No, it's been those times where my posts have bordered on the confessional or a wee bit more intimate than I'm comfortable with.

Once or twice a higher-up, mentioning no names, has repped me after I deleted a post to say, "I wish you'd left that up." Sometimes I repost, sometimes I chicken out.

I never, ever worry about causing offence. I'll worry about, "If I call such-and-such a lying sack of shit with not a lepton's mass of talent, will I be banned?" but that's about it. :D

What concerns me most are the "Am I revealing too much of myself?" posts. Given that I don't have a family or many attachments to real people in meatspace I don't have to consider many repercussions as regards embarrassing loved ones or betraying their confidence online. There's only me to think about and I tend to bottle things up then splurt TMI from time to time.

Sometimes it's not really TMI, it's just "Whoa, I'm not used to this level of openness."

I mean. I don't want people finding out I've got a damn heart, now, do I?

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I find not giving a shit helpful with this dilemma.

See? There I go again.

Reaction score
I figure if someone pulls up an old post and says, "Jesus, SP, what sort of person are you?" I can justifiably say, "No, that's not who I am. That's who I was."

Deleted member 42

I figure if someone pulls up an old post and says, "Jesus, SP, what sort of person are you?" I can justifiably say, "No, that's not who I am. That's who I was."

Oh. Yes. That's pretty interesting, actually.

But try explaining it to people buying your book, or hiring you or whatever . . .

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... usually I just frame things in this perspective: only a fraction of what I post gets read by only a fraction of people here. To be even more blunt with myself, of those fraction a fair portion quit reading my posts midway through out of boredom, because as 'interesting' and 'self-revealing' as I may think my posts to be to others they're just plain dull and uninteresting. In effect I am standing in an empty room talking to myself when I post here ... particularly when put on global ignore ;-)

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I just accept the fact that I'm an asshole and roll with it.

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
I was sitting here with a smug smile on my face, thinking - nope, I ain't ever done that.

Then I remembered that vicious game of Truth or Dare that got locked. The smug smile vanished right quick.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Happens all the time. I'm getting better at forgiving myself when I misread or completely screw up a conversation.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
I should admit that I was inspired to start this discussion because I told someone a few days ago to "fuck off" in a thread. I didn't mean it the way it sounds and was trying to make a point about political correctness. But it's been nagging at me ever since, and I feel bad about not finding a more creative way to express my thoughts.

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Then I think, Oh, man, I can't believe I said THAT in a post!

It bothers me to no end sometimes, and I start to think of the many ways I could've phrased my thoughts differently to get the same point across. By then, though, it's too late to amend the post and the comments are left to stand, regardless the repercussions.

Like I asked earlier, does that ever happen to you? If so, how best do you deal with comments here you wish you'd never made?

That's why vodka was invented. :D

You're making me want some too! I take back the tin can thing! I can see your heart. It's beautiful! Sometimes we get lost in our own little minds and our hearts get all wound up in external things and if we don't check our hearts/motives often we tend to let our mouths write a check that our butts can't cash.

And, yes, I'm guilty of it too. I came in here pms'ing and bashed an innocent person just pouncing on them like they were my hostage. Gosh I felt bad. Took me a week and two vodkas to get over it.

Remember nothing's wasted. Sometimes these things have to happen to make us come back down to earth and put ourselves in check. I remember hearing in an Anonamous meeting that sometimes someone has to die to teach someone else a lesson. It's what grows us.

It's just a season. We all have to go through fall to get to winter, spring and summer.

(((((HUG)))))

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"No. Srsly. I accidentally left my AW logged in before I went to dinner and my younger brother posted that under my account. Swearz."

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
i often toss and turn in a cold sweat from having been too nice in a post.

but i usually feel better in the morning light.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
I'm another one who posts about half of what I write - especially if it's a response where I'm pissed off or frustrated by the argument fight discussion. There are times when I border on going back and deleting something, but that's pretty rare. Someone might not like what I have to say, but I'm usually just being honest about where I stand on a particular subject and I'm well aware mine may not be a popular opinion.

But I'm also good at insulting without being obvious. I can tell people to go to hell in a way that it makes them look forward to the trip. What can I say? It's a gift. :D

Last edited:

Alan Yee

Still Here!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Because of past experiences, I usually end up deleting angry-ranty posts before I can actually post them. Sometimes I need to write something to get it out of my system, but I've decided I don't always need to share it.

I do regret some of the posts I've made in the past that were too personal or inappropriate, especially since I do post under my real name. I just hope that if a future potential employer finds them, they would realize I was fourteen or fifteen when I wrote some of those posts.

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I've said that. too many times. it's why I hardly post anymore. (actually I hardly post because my muse is on strike..but it sounded good.)