• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Whiskey Creek Press

DennisB

Banned
Reaction score
Whiskey Creek Press?

Haven't seen it on any "bewares." The website does claim to be a traditional publisher, but it seems to want the author to do the promoting and selling.

Any thoughts?

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I'm about to merge this new thread with the extant thread.

Remember you can always check the stickied Bewares Index to see if there's an extant thread.

Cao Paux has spent hours creating the index by candle light working against the forces of entropy, uphill in the snow.

Carlene

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlenedater.com
Whisky Creek sold? HELP!

Just got a royalty statement from Whiskey Creek Press - I won't embarrass myself by stating the amount, but...the statement said this would be the last one from Steven and Debra Womack of Whiskey Creek Press and future royalties would be paid by Start Media. First I've heard of a sale but my question is - since I signed a contract with WCP - is it still valid? Well, I'm actually out of contract on all three books (THANK GOD) and have tried to get my rights back from Steven before and finally gave up. So I guess my question is - should I send a letter/email to Start Media stating I want my rights back? I've never been in this situation before and would LOVE some input.

THANKS!

Carlene

dale hollin

Registered
Reaction score
the new owners might take it further and do better. you just never know. don't panic. just weigh your options. at this stage, would or could your books be accepted by a better publisher? i've only been through what you've been through with a short story, so i don't know if i'm the best to give advice. but it was a pro-pay zine. i signed the contract, and then the zine went under before my story was released. the contract signed said they owned it for 3 years. but once the zine dissolved, the rights went back to me.

Carlene

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlenedater.com
It looks like the new owners - VERY new, specialize in SciFi and fantasy. None of my books would fit there, I'm afraid.

Carlene

Nightmelody

Registered
Reaction score
New owners are happy to pay you 25% of net, and you get your final payment from WCP when you sign the 'agreement' I'm not signing.

Mayday

Absolute Blight
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
If there any Nightshade or Salvo Press authors here, it would be interesting to know how things are going since Start Media took over. I've been thinking of submitting to Nightshade, but I'm hesitating a bit on account of all the differing opinions.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nothing on their site available for sale from Cleis, one of the premiere publishers of lesbian and women's issues titles.

:(

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
I see. Wonder what that means. I'm not sure what to make of Start.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I wondered about that myself. Their contract runs for the life of the copyright, which I've learned is not all that rare, and allows for an escape by either party with a 90 day notice.