• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Whiskey Creek Press

Bonnie Gibson

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Whiskeycreekpress.com

I went to the website and it looks like just another POD publisher. Anyone familar with these people. A friend of mine has just signed with them.

Bonnie

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I have heard various opinions on Whiskey Creek Press and their habit of having the author pay the set up fee for POD--even with anthologies.

Is this just unconventional or really crossing a line? Are the sales enough to make the money back and then some, and if so why don't they pay their own bills?

Last edited:

pepperlandgirl

American Aquarium Drinker
Registered
Reaction score
I think if they required payment upon signing the contract, it would be crossing a line. But it's optional. They'll publish your book either way.

ETA: Other than the set-up fee for POD (which not all books qualify for. It has to be a full lenght novel) the contract is pretty standard for e-publishers. I certainly didn't see anything that made me wary.

Last edited:

stace001

Look into my eyes
Registered
Reaction score
Hello all,

Does anyone have any dealings with Whiskey Creek Press? They are primarily an e-publisher, though they do print trade paperbacks as Print On Demand. Any information would be appreciated.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
I've heard of Whiskey Creek Press, and not anything bad. You might check P&E

Man, where's the address... Dave?

I know I've seen books published by them, more than a few.

Sorry I can't be more specific, I've never dealt with them. I'm pretty sure they're legit.

carlylyncoe

Registered
Reaction score
Oh Good to hear good things about them as they are publishing my novella!!!

I had a really good experience with the editor and the work is now in galleys-----so i expect things to go well. The gal I am dealing with is friendly and very user-nice....asked for a tiny bit of re write which I did after we talked, did not change the story or outcome at all.

So far, so good. I'll let you all know what happens.:partyguy:

Thanks for any more feedback etc....

NancyMehl

She Who Resonates...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nancymehlbooks.com
BookSurge

Someone mentioned BookSurge. What's going on?

My novel just came out through Zumaya and they use BookSurge. I went with them because their books are returnable - and they seem to do a pretty good job with promotion. But...I'm having a hard time getting my books into B&N, Borders, and B. Dalton. I write book reviews for the largest newspaper in Kansas, and the bookstores want to order my book - but it seems they can't.

The local independent bookstore ordered without any problems - but I didn't really want to have to stick to the independents.

I'm not throwing stones at Zumaya - I've been quite happy with everything else. But I am disappointed in the fact that I'm back in a bad situation with the larger bookstores.

Sorry to hijack this thread about Whiskey Creek Press, but someone brought up BookSurge...

Nancy

Christine N.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
It's not easy for small presses to get into those stores. I'm going through that very thing right now. The publicist is doing it, not me, but I'm helping to get everything ready.

Each and every book needs to be submitted to to the small press department for the chain. Accompanied by a press kit AND a marketing plan. You have to tell them why they should order your book. They want to make sure it will sell. And just because they accept one book from that publisher doesn't mean they take them all.

Nancy, if you want to see what B&N requires, I have the document, I can send it to you.

NancyMehl

She Who Resonates...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nancymehlbooks.com
Thanks, Christine.

I was really thinking more about my local B&N's - but maybe it wouldn't hurt to send a copy to their small press department with a wider vision in mind.

I don't know...I'm just tired of trying to do this myself. I just assumed that BookSurge was a distributor like Baker & Taylor and Ingram. I did find another thread here (haven't read all of it) that really slams the quality of BookSurge - but my books look great.

A friend told me that he found a formatting error somewhere, but I can assure you that there are far less mistakes in my Zumaya book than there were in my PA book! LOL!

Nancy

Christine N.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
I wanted to do my local B&N too, but they (and Borders) told me that unless the book had been accepted by the small press department and put into their database, they couldn't order the book. Period. So I wait.

NancyMehl

She Who Resonates...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nancymehlbooks.com
Christine N. said:
I wanted to do my local B&N too, but they (and Borders) told me that unless the book had been accepted by the small press department and put into their database, they couldn't order the book. Period. So I wait.

I'd love to get that information, Christine. Can you e-mail me?

Nancy

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I suggest trying the exisiting threads

Whiskey Creek Press <old links snipped>

Last edited by a moderator:

TwentyFour

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
thank you, I didnt know if there were any

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
there's a sticky t the top of the forum that has an index. Although the second link actually seems a bit off. I know people with WCP who seem fairly happy. They are mainly a small epublisher.