If you wrote this book...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Lonely One

Why is a raven like a writing desk?
Registered
Reaction score
If you wrote this book I would've been like "damn, I wish I had written something like that."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34157390/ns/politics-washington_post

I think it's time someone in fiction does something about all these sad, reality-diseased people (namely, exploit them for a really interesting book).

These are some of the most desperate, disparaged fools around. Sad, attention-starved, didn't get enough mommy-daddy time and so they'll go to great lengths, say, by pretending their child is in a balloon, or sneaking into a white house event...

I know where the inspiration for my next protagonist is coming from...

Last edited:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, I understand putting down the ballon boy folks, but I thought sneaking into the White House like that was a pretty darned cool stunt.

That one sounds like a ton of fun, and I'm all for gutting pomp and circumstance, no matter who's in office.

There's nothing wrong with going after attention, if business is your goal. The balloon boy folks went way overboard, did it wrong in every possible way, but these White House party crashers did something I suspect millions would love to do. Good for them.

The Lonely One

Registered
Reaction score
I respect your opinion, but I'll respectfully diverge. Going after attention and 'reality' stardom seems a far cry from anything meaningful in life, IMO. It's the sort of aspiration that's been fed to us by the very people who make these shows.

It is a totally complex and altogether intriguing stunt. How they got in is really something that seems possible only in fiction. And I suspect if someone wrote this fictional story there would be theorists to argue it's impossible.

It's true I guess, life is stranger than fiction.

The Lonely One

Registered
Reaction score
That's sort of an important point, though.

Could someone have written this story sans the actual event, without people discounting it as impossible and implausible, even in fiction? I wonder if such a story would itself be considered some kind of security risk or negative comment on national security.

Just really strange stuff.

Slushie

Custom User Title
Registered
Reaction score
Article isn't there anymore but I've heard of this. Kinda reminds me of this kid in my fourth grade class. He flushed all the toilets in the both the guy and girl bathrooms and it flooded out into the hall. It was definitely funny and he became an instant cafeteria celebrity, but you've gotta wonder where that craving for attention comes from.

DWSTXS

Mr Mojo Risin...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
I think that these 'aspiring reality show stars' are pathetic douche-bags.

The balloon boy parents should spend time in prison, and have to pay all the costs for that search.
idiots.

EclipsesMuse

Questing
Registered
Reaction score
Could someone have written this story sans the actual event, without people discounting it as impossible and implausible, even in fiction?

I was told by one of my betas that fiction has to make sense, but real life doesn't.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
I was told by one of my betas that fiction has to make sense, but real life doesn't.

Exactly so. NO POSSIBLE WAY anyone could've sold a story or novel about a retired-football-star-turned-commentator accused of killing his ex-wife and taking the cops on a 25-MPH slow-speed freeway chase. But real life? Yeah.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Exactly so. NO POSSIBLE WAY anyone could've sold a story or novel about a retired-football-star-turned-commentator accused of killing his ex-wife and taking the cops on a 25-MPH slow-speed freeway chase. But real life? Yeah.

OJ's allegedly fictional "novel" about the murders is very strange reading. You would almost think he was there, just the way he tells it...

Status
Not open for further replies.