Not open for further replies.

Saskatoonistan

Still the wrong side of Saskatoon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sean-cummings.ca
Selected quotes from the "pioneer" posting:

"I don’t think most people realize how rare it is to have a series that is this long running where the audience grows larger with every book. I’ve done that without a TV show, or a movie"

"I was the first one to bring them out of the broom closet, or coffin, whatever, and throw them into modern medicine, law enforcement, politics, and society in general. Most writers take the mundane and make it fantastic, I like to take the fantastic and make it mundane."

"Tomorrow I will get up and I will continue to write Bullet, book 18 in the Anita Blake: Vampire Hunter series. I will get to finish choreographing a scene with Anita, Asher, and Jean-Claude the likes of which I have never attempted before. The thought makes me both giddy with happiness and full of intense performance anxiety."

I don't begrudge her success one tiny bit because if I wind up successful, I am getting a pimp hat and a pimp-mobile with leopard skin seat covers... but COME ON!!!

Deleted member 42

On the term Urban Fantasy--It seems to have been coined by Terri Windling in the phrase "contemporary urban fantasy" in reference to Moonheart.

I note Windling's Borderlands is 1986.

I further note to to a medieval audience, works like Sir Orfeo and Sir Gawain and the Green Knight would be "urban fantasy."

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
And if anyone gave Meyer her start, it would be L.J. Smith's Vampire Diaries, 1991. It's painfully obvious that Meyer read them while in college, then mangled them into her sparkly decaff version.

I don’t think most people realize how rare it is to have a series that is this long running where the audience grows larger with every book. I’ve done that without a TV show, or a movie

Um, so did Fred Saberhagen and several thousand *other* writers in every genre, including writers who were around before the invention of movies and TV.

"I was the first one to bring them out of the broom closet, or coffin, whatever, and throw them into modern medicine, law enforcement, politics, and society in general. Most writers take the mundane and make it fantastic, I like to take the fantastic and make it mundane."

That will be news to Lee Killough with her vampire cop, Garreth. He didn't have a coffin and continued to be a cop after his conversion.

Ditto for P.N. Elrod, whose vamp PI owns a business but no coffin because he "wouldn't be caught dead in one". (I forget which book.)

One might make note that Elrod donated a cover quote to LKH's first book. Publishers generally ask established writers for those to help out the new kids on the block.

Nick Knight worked as a cop, doctor, archeologist, scientist, etc. Nick had a regular bed--with sexy black satin sheets! Way better than that silly deep freeze they gave that third rate imitation Mick on Moonlight.

Fond as LKH is of revisionist history, the Internet is available for the rest of us to amuse ourselves with a bit of myth-busting at her expense.

Sorry LKH fans, but she's just making it too easy to take potshots.

I'm happy she's giddy about writing a threesome with herself Anita and two of her supernatural doormats, but it's not something I'll ever read. :scared:

Last edited:

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
You know, honestly, I had no clue urban fantasy existed until I read LKH. I don't think its revisionist history so much as urban fantasy, for whatever reason, became popular while she was writing. Not saying BECAUSE of her, but I can see how she might draw that conclusion.

Reaction score
Wow. You guys are rough.

Personally, I think she should be happy. TV has fucked up every urban fantasy they've touched.
Oh no, Fuzzface. LKH did that herself, to her own series.

A few books in, she buttfucked it herself, without lube.

Deleted member 42

You know, honestly, I had no clue urban fantasy existed until I read LKH. I don't think its revisionist history so much as urban fantasy, for whatever reason, became popular while she was writing. Not saying BECAUSE of her, but I can see how she might draw that conclusion.

Then she's a twit.

Seriously. It is absolutely revisionist history; as is her claim to have invented "erotic faery"

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
On the term Urban Fantasy--It seems to have been coined by Terri Windling in the phrase "contemporary urban fantasy" in reference to Moonheart.

I note Windling's Borderlands is 1986.

I further note to to a medieval audience, works like Sir Orfeo and Sir Gawain and the Green Knight would be "urban fantasy."

I've heard that it originated with De Lint as well which completely makes sense. The first time I used the phrase was when trying to explain Newford to someone.

Deleted member 42

I've heard that it originated with De Lint as well which completely makes sense. The first time I used the phrase was when trying to explain Newford to someone.

I'd argue that the genre was ancient, but that the phrase originated with Terri Windling referring to De Lint's Moonheart.

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
I'd argue that the genre was ancient, but that the phrase originated with Terri Windling referring to De Lint's Moonheart.

Sorry. Yes, to clarify, I meant the phrase, not the genre.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Then she's a twit.

Seriously. It is absolutely revisionist history; as is her claim to have invented "erotic faery"

The words "batshit crazy" spring to mind whenever I think of LKH.

I always think of those hilariously deranged pictures she posted on her myspace page some time back, with all her "friends" dressed up like they(and she) were badass.

Reaction score
aadams73's avatar made me lose control of my bowels laughing.

A bit like LKH's blog, but...with less fail.

Deleted member 42

I always think of those hilariously deranged pictures she posted on her myspace page some time back, with all her "friends" dressed up like they(and she) were badass.

I can only imagine. I think I'd rather not know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
I'm trying hard not to contribute to turning this into an author-bashing thread. Honest.

But there's something I have a problem with. I just do not understand.

Okay. On the LKH forums it says you're not to make personal comments or speculations about LKH's private/home/sex life. Which is cool. 'Cause you join a fan forum to discuss the works, not the person.

And yet. One part of her forum is dedicated to the discussion of each of her blog posts.

Again, fine.

But.

In her (misspelt) blog, she regularly discusses her private/home/sex life.

Um...do you understand my confusion?

HelloKiddo

bemused observer
Registered
Reaction score

Aaaaand now I want to see those photos. Any chance anybody here knows where they can be found?

I love reading those LKH/Anne Rice rants. I've read both a few times and they still make me smile.

HelloKiddo

bemused observer
Registered
Reaction score

HelloKiddo

bemused observer
Registered
Reaction score
Last edited:

Deleted member 42

Awwwww . . . but I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.

Just ask Buster; she had to shanghai me. And I still mostly escaped. Mostly.

Status
Not open for further replies.