• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Mainly Murder Press

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Have you ever personally read any of their books?

I would never consider submitting to a publisher unless I was certain that I'd be happy to have my book on the same shelf as their other offerings.

jeseymour

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jeseymour.com
Okay, I went and read an excerpt on one of their author's websites. It's not horrid. They do look new. One thing that makes me just a tad suspicious is that three of the books are by Judith Ivie, who is the editor who requested my manuscript. But if she was just using this press as a way to self-publish, there wouldn't be any by anybody else, right?

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Not unless there's more money in publishing others than is publishing one's self...e.g., the bit about "allowing" authors to buy their own books for resale (30% discount, no royalties)? That tells you they don't expect to sell much through bookstores.

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
Looking at the submissions page, they want a business plan. In other words, they want to know "how you intend to promote and market your published manuscript."

I'd be asking them how they intend to promote and market your book.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
jeseymour:
Is there anything in that contract that raises a red flag?

It's not a red flag, but the sample contract is for worldwide rights (Clause 1), when at most they should be taking US and Canada. If they can't sell you in those territories, then they're not going to be able to anywhere else.

Clause 2 states that the agreement will only last 3 years. Given that it's POD, I'd be more relaxed about having some kind of time limit on the contract, but if the only person doing active marketing is you, then I'd be tempted to ask for a lower period because if it should happen that your efforts secures the interest of a commercial publisher (and without wishing to cause offence, the chances are low), then you're better off getting out sooner rather than later.

Clause 3 - the Publisher's termination rights are widely drafted and I don't see why they need a reference to "excessive returns" given that they're POD.

In Clause 3, the provision requiring you to pay £400 in the event that you require early termination should be struck out. It's a POD operation, so there shouldn't be any costs.

Clause 4 - I'd want clarification as to how this relates to the term of the contract. It seems to me that the Contract commences for a period of 3 years from the date of signature, but they don't have to publish anything for 18 months from the date of approval and acceptance of your final manuscript. I'd clarify when that is intended to be because otherwise, they could dick you around for 2 years and then not be obliged to publish until after the 3 year term has already expired.

Clause 6 - like everyone else said, royalties shouldn't be on net, they should be on gross and again, it's POD so I don't see how the returns model applies.

Watch the provision that says you don't get royalties on copies that you buy yourself. In practice if this "publisher" has no distribution, you're going to have to buy copies yourself and hawk it. The only way for you to make money in that situation is to sell for more than the cover price and if the cover price is high, then you're going to have problems sustaining a margin.

Clause 7 - royalties won't be paid until the amount reached $25. Given that this is POD, and given that you'll most likely be doing the selling, I'd want that reduced to $5.

Clause 9 - for the reasons set out above, I'd want that threshold lowered to $25.

Clause 11 - you shouldn't be required to provide cover art at your own expense.

Clause 12 - failure to return galleys within 20 days should not trigger termination.

Clause 14 - you shouldn't have to pay for author copies if you want to submit your book to competition or contests. Also, there's no mention in there of what the Publisher is going to do to promote your book.

Personally, I'd counsel against signing with this company for the same reasons set out by other people above (i.e. no apparent track record, plus they're not paying an advance), but it's your choice.

MM

priceless1

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.behlerpublications.com
Looking at the submissions page, they want a business plan. In other words, they want to know "how you intend to promote and market your published manuscript."
Julie, I know nothing about MMP, but more and more mainstream editors (and agents) are asking for a proposal on novels. Obviously novels are completed, but the information that goes into a proposal tells the editor (or agent) whether the book is a viable product. It offers up the competitive titles, why the author was the best person to have written their book, where they see it shelved in the bookstores, what their promo plans are, marketing ideas for the publisher, etc.

annerallen

Registered
Reaction score
Mainly Murder Press is a pretty good outfit

I know one of their authors. Her book is excellent and the time from acceptance to launch was only 6 months. Some very nice cover art was provided at no expense. Ditto review copies. She was allowed input on the cover art. This press is recommended by Sisters in Crime and they have good distribution through Ingram.

jeseymour

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jeseymour.com
I did end up going with MMP. Did not get free review copies, so I don't know where that came from, annerallen. My time from acceptance to launch was a year. They will not look at my next book because I haven't met their minimum sales figure. Sigh.

Edited to add that the minimum sales figure required for a second book went up between the time I published the first book with them and now.

Last edited:

dcstone

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, I sent my manuscript to Mainly murder publishers yesterday, was wondering if anyone knows about them if they good or not, because I'm new I don't know much about this and love your input.
Thanks

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Psssst - research a publisher *before* you send the MS.

Yep, do this. You may get lucky and have a match with your work and the publisher, but it's hard enough as it is. Better to give yourself more of a chance and research them first.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
The BBB doesn't help with publishers because (I think) it only deals with problems between suppliers and consumers: the publisher-author relationship doesn't come into that category.