Status
Not open for further replies.

Horseshoes

lisapreston.com
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisapreston.com
After 30 years, Nabokov's son has decided not to honor Vlad's request that his WIP be destroyed upon Vlad's death--and TOoL was published this week.

I'm interested in reading Nabokov's last work and mindful that if you want a manuscript destroyed, you'd best build a fire and toss it in there yourself.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
Nabokov is my favorite writer, and I'm excited to read it, though I'm not expecting it to be a masterpiece. He didn't consider it finished, so I won't, either.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
The two books mentioned will primarily interest scholars of Nabokov and Jung, as well as their hardcore fans. These two groups will know how to receive the posthumous publications, I think.

Yes, you'd better burn yourself anything you want burned, if there's any possibility your heirs could profit by your manuscripts or notes. Or, to be less cynical, if there's any possibility your heirs might think the world enriched by their publication.

In any case, the authors are dead. They probably don't care about the posthumous publications. If they do, they'll just have to haunt the offending parties -- the spectral lawsuit, as it were. ;)

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
These two groups will know how to receive the posthumous publications, I think.
I agree. It's harder in the case of Jung's book, because he was always (so it sounds) divided on whether to share that work or not. He knew very well that he came off a ranting lunatic in it, but he found great value in the fits that worked themselves out in that production.

Nabokov just sounds like someone who would never come to the door in his dressing gown, but that he couldn't bear to part with the work he was unable to finish.

Last edited:

Lady Ice

Makes useful distinctions
Registered
Reaction score
Apparantly Laura's not very good. And you've got the old paedophilic element in there too...

Status
Not open for further replies.