Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... hee, hee; the Animal :-D
And the Animal sure was!
I cast my vote for Bonham. Is there a better drum solo than the 15-minute one in Moby Dick? I think not!

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Bonham. I did not have to read any further down the list. There was absolutely no hesitation in my vote.

Here;s a little evidence for ya:
http://www.saladrecords.com/bonhamfiles.htm
Those files showed up on the InnerWebs about five years ago (yes, OF COURSE I downloaded them back then), and this thread reminds me of them. Thanks.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Bonham. I did not have to read any further down the list. There was absolutely no hesitation in my vote.

Here;s a little evidence for ya:
http://www.saladrecords.com/bonhamfiles.htm
Those files showed up on the InnerWebs about five years ago (yes, OF COURSE I downloaded them back then), and this thread reminds me of them. Thanks.

I'm still having a hard time deciding who to vote for (there are so many great choices!), but as long as we're talking about John Bonham, the groove from "Fool in the Rain" is fabulous.

http://www.drummerworld.com/Sound/johnbonhamdrumsalone.mp3

Fran

Slate grey mole person
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, Bohnam was great. My second pick, probably. But how can anybody ignore Iain Pace's work on "Burn"?

Calm down, SD! :tongue These things can never be exhaustive, which is obvious because I'm not on the list either. :D

I so, so, so want to vote Animal, but that feels unfair. I'll have to think a bit longer...

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For best rock drummer? ;) (for the big band era, my fave is Louis Bellson - notice how his ride cymbal slowly keels over at the end like it's exhausted)

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't like knocking someone's poll choices, but there really needs to be one for "other". If there's no way to give a nod to Charlie Watts, Carl Palmer, Billy Cobham or my personal favorite, Tony Williams, then I can't take any such poll seriously.

RG570

Registered
Reaction score
I really can't see how anyone can justify Neil Peart NOT being the best drummer.

Rush may not be anyone's favourite band, but his ability is light years beyond everyone on this list, except Bruford.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
> I really can't see how anyone can justify Neil Peart NOT being the best drummer.

The difference between Bonham and Peart is that Bonham played for the song, not the other way around. Note that I don't underestimate Peart's immense talent and technique; Rush has endured longer than Led Zep and went in many more directions musically. But having to choose between the original and a fantastic me-too, I'd always choose the original.

-cb

Strange Days

who cares, anyway?..
Registered
Reaction score
I really can't see how anyone can justify Neil Peart NOT being the best drummer.

Rush may not be anyone's favourite band, but his ability is light years beyond everyone on this list, except Bruford.

I saw Iain Paice in concert with Deep Purple... I can't freakin' believe he didn't make it here... :(

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... in fairness, the OP had a preliminary thread where members could nominate drummers. This poll was based on the nominations there. So any oversights could have been avoided by participation there. Perhaps that thread should have stayed up longer, though?

But since that's over and done, this poll should be accepted as is and be voted on one way or the other. An "other" category might be good for future polls, but since it ain't my poll I'll let the OP decide on that. It's mostly for fun anyway :)

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
> I really can't see how anyone can justify Neil Peart NOT being the best drummer.

The difference between Bonham and Peart is that Bonham played for the song, not the other way around. Note that I don't underestimate Peart's immense talent and technique; Rush has endured longer than Led Zep and went in many more directions musically. But having to choose between the original and a fantastic me-too, I'd always choose the original.

-cb
I have to agree. Peart is technically brilliant and I always enjoy his playing, but the majority of Rush songs are jam-packed with intricate fills and odd time signature stuff and it can get a bit overwhelming after a while. As good as he is, I don't find his playing to be as wide ranging as some of the other drummers mentioned here.