Status
Not open for further replies.

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
I just read Villains by Necessity by Eve Forward, and really enjoyed it. Structurally this book reverses an RPG fantasy cliche by assembling a party of 'evil' adventurers and sending them up against 'good' wizards and fighters. I've often thought that 'heroes' tend to be boring, frighteningly zealous, or sickeningly goody-two-shoes. It was more fun to see the villains' adventures and tribulations. I've also seen this done humorously with movie monsters, super villains, etc. Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog is another great example. Haven't seen any pet monster, mecha, or color-coded transforming team examples yet.

So, can anyone recommend me some funny books, movies, manga, or anime, where the main characters are villains and we get to root for them against the obnoxious 'heroes'?

Mara

Clever User Title
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't read most of them, but according to my friend, there are a lot of R.A. Salvatore books about Jarlaxle (mercenary captain, series villain), Artemis Entreri (assassin, series villain), and various new villains (including a psychotic, apparently evil dwarf that uses exploding morningstars.) Eventually, Artemis and Jarlaxle move toward being less evil, but they're still not goody-goody two-shoes.

And, of course, the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen seems mostly composed of villains. (Invisible Man, Dracula, Mr. Hyde, Captain Nemo.) I've only seen the movie (which is different), but I've read about the original graphic novels (or were they comics first?)

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
And, of course, the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen seems mostly composed of villains. (Invisible Man, Dracula, Mr. Hyde, Captain Nemo.) I've only seen the movie (which is different), but I've read about the original graphic novels (or were they comics first?)

They were originally published as individual comics.

Villains! Created by Mary Gentle and Neil Gaiman might be helpful as well. It says Book 1 (as if it was going to be a series), but I'm not sure if there was ever a sequel.

jmascia

Registered
Reaction score
Wasn't there a Harley and Ivy comic by DC a while back? That would qualify I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.