A Question for the Querying Person

creamofmushroom

>_<
Registered
Reaction score
I know that this might seem like a very trivial matter, but I'd like to know what you would do if you were in my situation.

I am in the middle of querying for a YA fantasy book based on vampires. And recently I queried an agent who on the website states that they like 'vampire' books. I just got an email saying that they do not represent YA or fantasy and that I need to look for another agent.
It makes it seem as if though I'm mass mailing query letters without any background research on a specific agent.
Now, my question is should i reply back saying why i queried them or should i just crawl under a rock for a few minutes :D ?

Thank you.

the addster

Registered
Reaction score
Website
addiepray.wordpress.com
Crawl under the rock.

I have received those responses from agent that damn well repped stuff in my genre. You never know if they have decided to change direction without getting around to updating the website, an agent that handled that genre isn't signing anyone new, or has taken leave or left, or they perceived your project as different for some reason.

They get thousands of queries, I doubt you are the dumbass of the day, in the bunch.

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No point in responding as it's not going to change their mind. So, cross it off and move on.

~suki

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
Bigger fish to fry. Forget about it and move on.

Good luck.

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
Roll your eyes and move on to the next one.

Sometimes agents haven't updated their "this is what I like" list in a very long time -- like, years. They SHOULD stay up on that stuff, and hopefully they'll realize it's their fault after they receive their thousandth YA vampire fantasy. ;) But it's not up to you to point it out.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
These people all know each other. Don't risk ticking one off. Move on.

creamofmushroom

>_<
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses everyone! I guess when i first read it, i was a bit upset, but now i've recovered to have a good laugh about it :D