• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Joy Harris Literary Agency

• Thread starter nffacethemusicjunocom
  • Start date

nygirl

Registered
Reaction score
Uh, I'd like to bring this thread back to the Joy Harris Agency. Has anyone worked with Joy or with any other agent there? If so, would you recommend them as agents? I know they are legitimate and not scammers, but I'm looking for personal feedback, from writers who've worked with this agency. Thanks!!

fuwanna

Registered
Reaction score
Back in the early 90s I knew a number of writers who were represented by Joy Harris. She has--or had--some big sellers: Whitney Otto (How to Make and American Quilt) and now I believe Sena Jeter Naslund is also a client (Ahab's Wife). Some good writers she had back then (Louis B. Jones, for example) haven't published anything for about ten years after very promising and praised starts. I don't know if that has more to do with Mr. Jones or Ms. Harris. Jones may not have sold, in spite of the critical praise from the Times and Wash. Post, and after 3 books that don't sell publishers these days are likely to give up on you. (If they'd done that with John Irving, they would've missed out on the huge seller The World According to Garp).

She also represented my wife, a novelist, and in their interactions I observed her to be rather excessively cloyingly flattering at first with the first sale and then, as time passed, very hard to get a hold of and very hard to talk to. Someone on this thread referred to getting a questionable email in which an agent from the J Harris Agency referred to the writer as an *overlooked talent* or some such thing and that reminded me of Joy's rather fulsome manner. Perhaps this would be okay, but what I observed firsthand--and I certainly observed the effects firsthand on my wife--was that this initial gushy seduction was forgotten in the absence of another big sale and phone calls were not returned etc.

Maybe all--or many--agents are like this. They love you and gush over you when you're hot and new and fresh from a deal and lose interest if you don't follow it up with big stuff. But my wife's current agent is I believe more consistent, more professional, and I think this is a definite virtue.

Sorry to write so much, but that's what I know of the Joy Harris Agency I hope it is of use to you.

nygirl

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks!! The JHA requested my manuscript and within days I received a reply: an email telling me that my novel was very good. The person added that the dialogue was great, and he had liked the characters and the narration. “However, I'm afraid I just do not have enough confidence that I could sell this to a publisher,” he added, so he had to pass.

I’m baffled.

nygirl

Registered
Reaction score
Well, of course, but that doesn't change the fact that i'm baffled.by their reply: "Your novel is great, but I don't think I can sell it." Two agents have said the same thing, and I don't get it.
- Depressed in Manhattan

jamiehall

Bereaved Snarkling
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamiehall.org
Well, of course, but that doesn't change the fact that i'm baffled.by their reply: "Your novel is great, but I don't think I can sell it." Two agents have said the same thing, and I don't get it.
- Depressed in Manhattan

This means you're getting very close. Don't be sad. There are plenty of reasons why an agent won't take on a project they love. It doesn't reflect on the work, just on the match between the manuscript and the agency. If the relationship were dating, think of it as saying "You are gorgeous, but I'm gay." That isn't a reason to stop asking others, and it isn't a reason to keep pestering the one who already said no either.

White Ginger

Registered
Reaction score
I just got a request for a partial from Sarah Twombly at Joy Harris. Does anyone know anything about her? I'm delighted by the response, especially as my query to her last fall went unanswered, so I queried again this morning. Bingo!

Thanks in advance for the info.

White Ginger

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
There's a thread about them here. Seems to be a reputable agency with a track record of sales.

MM

Last edited by a moderator:

ks.samya

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about the Joy Harris Literary agency? I just got a partial request from them, and have no clue on the wait time. Everyone else puts it in their request letters...the JHLA has very little web presence, it seems.

ks.samya

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks!

Thanks so much for the Joy Harris information! I know people can be legit without having big accessible websites, but it's so hard to get a feel for them when they don't...

I gave her the partial...hope she likes it!

misselainie

Testing 1 - 2. Testing.
Registered
Reaction score
Hi. I can''t find any clues as to whether Joy Harris likes to see sample pages, sample chapters, or a synopsis with a query letter. Does anybody have any personal experience that would shed light on this question?

Mazurka

Registered
Reaction score
Exclusive Reads

Hi all, I'm a newbie here, both at AW and at the business of writing. I have what most of you might think to be a stupid question but I can't seem to get an answer to it...

I recently submitted a query to Sarah Twombly at the Joy Harris Agency and she asked for my full manuscript and an exclusive read, which I took to mean that I could not send the manuscript out to other agents. Is this correct? I agreed to it, of course, because I was excited that she wanted to read the ms at all. But not some people have been telling me that exclusive reads are a bad idea, that I should be able to explore my options, continue shopping agents, blah blah balh...

Any advice? I'm so lost here!

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
Exclusives aren't ideal, but if you don't have other agents champing at the bit you can grant it, but only for a limited time. I believe two weeks is the norm, unless someone wants to jump in with a better answer!

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Mazurka, and welcome to AW.

Mazurka:
Sarah Twombly at the Joy Harris Agency and she asked for my full manuscript and an exclusive read, which I took to mean that I could not send the manuscript out to other agents. Is this correct? I agreed to it, of course, because I was excited that she wanted to read the ms at all. But not some people have been telling me that exclusive reads are a bad idea, that I should be able to explore my options, continue shopping agents, blah blah balh...

Exclusives usually suck because you're committing your manuscript to one agent with no guarantee of getting an acceptance. If you're going to give them, then it's usually good practice to set a time limit in advance to make sure that at least you have some certainty on when it will be available to shop again (and it can also incentivise the agent to read it more quickly).

In this situation, because you haven't set a time limit before giving the exclusive, you're in a pretty tricky situation. My advice (and assuming that you don't hear anything sooner) would be to wait 3 months before contacting the agent (politely) to remind them that they have had the full manuscript exclusively for 3 months and you have not heard anything, and if you don't hear anything within a further fortnight, then you'll assume that it's a rejection and shop it around again.

MM

Mazurka

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys! That's really helpful! The agency actually DID tell me that they would respond in 4-6 weeks, so I'm going to get queries ready and send them out after that time period, I think, if I don't hear from them.

adam.purple

Failure on display
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writernot.com
Has anyone had any luck querying Joy Harris? I submitted a query to her a few weeks ago, but no response so far. Is she a "no response means no" agent?

Thanks.

KelleyVitollo

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone had any luck querying Joy Harris? I submitted a query to her a few weeks ago, but no response so far. Is she a "no response means no" agent?

Thanks.

I saw on the submission page it says they will only reply to electronic submissions of interested. Was it an equery?