Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: WorldCat / OCLC

Ooo! Shiny new cover! Absolute Sage Cathy C's Avatar

WorldCat / OCLC

Hi, all!

Yeah, this is the wrong forum for this question, but I saw something in one of the posts on a background check and now I can't find it again, so I'm hoping that whoever wrote the first post will see this in the same forum. I've searched, but don't remember the exact wording, so I'm missing it.

Someone mentioned that there was a entity website or phone number where an author could track which libraries in the U.S. stocked a particular book. I've been advertising in a publication which is distributed to libraries for my past two books, and it would be TERRIFIC if I could learn whether those marketing dollars are having an effect.

Thanks! If this doesn't get a response in a couple of days, Mod, could you move it to Novels, or a more appropriate forum, please?

Thanks again!
    Want FREE reads? Click here!

Smiles!
    Cathy Clamp
    USA Today bestselling author
    ILLICIT, coming 7/16!
    My Website
    Follow me: Twitter
    Now on Facebook! Come friend me!

"An entertaining (and occasionally very dark) mystery." -- Locus

"[Shapeshifter] fans are about to hit the jackpot as Clamp returns to re-energize this amazing series. Searching for layered plotlines and complex characters? Look no further, as Clamp truly delivers!" -- RT BookReviews

"Cathy Clamp is a visionary author, creating new worlds that are both strong and vividly drawn. Adventure and excitement at its best." -- Yasmine Galenorn, New York Times Bestselling Author

"A struggling community under attack, compelling action, characters struggling with dark secrets ... FORBIDDEN hit all my favorite notes, and I love the rich world of the Sazi!" - Rachel Caine, New York Times Bestselling Author

figuring it all out
    Cathy,

I didn't see the post in question, but Worldcat is OCLC's online catalog, which searches major library catalogs simultaneously. You have to have subscription access to it (most libraries do).

Incidentally, I searched the titles in your sig and here's what I found:

Road to Riches is held by 21 libraries
    Hunter's Moon 184

Incidentally, they list all the libraries, but I didn't want to eat up AW space by posting them.

Hope that helps!

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    http://www.oclc.org/worldcat/open/tryit/default.htm

Try typing the title into one of the search boxes.

- Victoria

Here's a link to Worldcat.
    Recently Thunk Thoughts
    www.frankbaron.com
    My book makes a great gift!

He who conquers others is strong. He who conquers himself is mighty. - Lao Tzu

Thanks a bunch, guys! I've got that bookmarked now. I think the advertising is working pretty well. For a paperback romance from a new author, 184 is perfectly acceptable as a beginning.

Smiles!
    Cathy Clamp
    ILLICIT, coming 7/16!
    My Website

"[Shapeshifter] fans are about to hit the jackpot as Clamp returns to re-energize this amazing series. Searching for layered plotlines and complex characters? Look no further, as Clamp truly delivers!" -- RT BookReviews

"Cathy Clamp is a visionary author, creating new worlds that are both strong and vividly drawn. Adventure and excitement at its best." -- Yasmine Galenorn, New York Times Bestselling Author

"A struggling community under attack, compelling action, characters struggling with dark secrets ... FORBIDDEN hit all my favorite notes, and I love the rich world of the Sazi!" - Rachel Caine, New York Times Bestselling Author

Elder Scrolls devotee
    Cathy, that's great! So I take it libraries don't insist on hardcover anymore?

Well, it IS available in hardback, through both Doubleday Book Club and Rhapsody Book Club, but I was presuming they're buying the paperback. 90% of romance novels are paperback and they're pretty widely read in libraries. But maybe they ARE buying the hardback. Hmm. I'll have to check out the link again and find a nearby library to check it out. Good thought. Thanks!

Smiles!
    Cathy Clamp
    ILLICIT, coming 7/16!
    My Website

Elder Scrolls devotee
    I read somewhere that it's more economical for libraries to buy the paperback and replace it when necessary so they don't insist on hardback anymore. I'm curious to know if that's true. If you find out what version they're buying, please report back.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    WorldCat has its own site now: http://www.worldcat.org/
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

CaoPaux, while you're doing your awesome forum maintenance thang, perhaps you can correct the typo in this thread's title? ("WolrdCat" for "WorldCat").

Find me at
    BookTweeting on Twitter
    for a book review a day, every day!
    JUST LAUNCHED:
    EbookCheapskate,
    where you'll find reviews of
    free and cheap ebooks (under $5 US)!

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Typo, what typo?

But, yeah, I always find a few such gems whenever I tidy up. I've never been diagnosed with dyslexia, but sometimes I wonder.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

haz a shiny new book cover Christine N.'s Avatar
    FWIW, some library holdings are not listed. For example, I know my local library system has several copies of my books in several libraries, but none show up on WorldCat.

But the English Adaptations I did a few years ago for a manga publisher also show up under my name. So there you are.
    Christine

Young Adult Fantasy Author

A CURSE OF ASH AND IRON: Coming Spring 2015 from Curiosity Quills Press

"The Watchmaker's Ball" (short story), to be included in BEWARE THE LITTLE WHITE RABBIT (anthology), coming April 14 from Leap Books

Represented by Jordy Albert of Booker Albert Literary

I tweet

Young Adult Authors You've Never Heard Of