Reaction score
Post deleted for privacy reasons.

Last edited:

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a little confused by your post, so it makes it a bit hard to offer any thoughts. And I think it would depend in part on your contract with the first agent. If there is no existing contract with the first agent, and you are currently unagented, then it seems you could wait to mention your former agent and the already-been-shopped but unsold project until you have an agent interested in the new project. But I'm confused because you keep calling the first agent your current agent and stating she does represent the first project. So, is she your agent or not?

And if she is your agent (or will be again soon) what does the contract say about other works? Is her representation limited to the one project only and she has no right to other or future works? Or would she have the first right with regard to other or future works?

Because if she has first rights to represent all your works in the genre, then why would another agent want to stand in line behind her?

And if she isn't your agent, and you are looking for a new agent, why not find one to represent all of your works, including the one the other agent couldn't sell?

My gut instinct is that if the first novel has been shopped around pretty thoroughly, unless specific editors are waiting on suggested revisions, it's probably not that much of an issue because it would be hard to reshop it. But, your other works could find you a new agent, who might want to reshop it later after something else has sold.

Maybe others would have actual experience with this, but it might help to clarify what rights, if any, the first agent has.

Last edited:

PenTeller

Registered
Reaction score
Post deleted.

Last edited:

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So you are currently unagented, but have a former agent that has agreed to continue to try to sell the one book, if you want?

Then I think you query the new project(s), without any mention of other book or other agent, but if another agent offers, you disclose the first project at that time and discuss with the new agent his/her comfort with the former agent continuing to try to sell the former project. New agent might not be comfortable with that, and then you will have to decide what you want to do, or new agent might be fine with it, as long as he or she gets all your other and future woks.

But I think if a prospective agent asks for your writing history, then I think you need to disclose the other project and former agent, but be clear that she is your former agent.

So, the tricky part comes in with timing - if you re-sign with the former agent, even for the one book, or she is shopping it on your behalf (even without a formal contract) while you are querying other agents, then technically you are represented and then I think I would disclose that I have an agent shopping the one project but her representation is limited to that project and she is aware that I am seeking other representation.

But I hope others will add their suggestions, especially if they see it another way or have been in this situation.

good luck.

~suki

PenTeller

Registered
Reaction score
Post deleted.

Last edited:

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading between the lines here, but here's my take.

1. Since you don't have a contract with any agent or agency, you don't have an agent.

2. At some point in time, your first YA work was represented by an agency and an agent, but your contract with them has expired without renewal.

3. I'm assuming that your former agent did a fairly thorough job shopping your first work with editors but wasn't able to sell it. Also, at some point -- I assume when s/he decided not to renew your contract -- you were made aware of suggested, numerous re-writes.

4. Your former agent (is she still with the agency?) has offered to be your "career" agent, whatever that is. Career, as you well know, means ALL you do in the profession, not just one book as seems to be the case. It sounds like you want to have her around, and that's obviously your call, but why not make her your Manager for everything you do in publishing, if that's possible? Of course this means another percentage of anything you may earn.

5. I have no knowledge to back this up, but if I'm right and your first work has been well shopped. I'd forget about it for now and concentrate on the second book. Look for a new agent based on your second book. Of course you'll have to mention the termination with the first agency, but be sure to mention that your new work hasn't been seen by any publisher.

6. I think you're continued involvement with the first agent and your first work is clouding your judgment, and in a way may be holding you back.

Good luck.